Big Mileage BMW Auction Purchase - ian
Has anyone any experience of auction buyers recommended by HJ, specifically j.trim, It seems to be a good way of buying their time, experience and attendance and bag a considerable saving in the process. I\'m looking to buy a high mileage (over 100k but not that much) 528 Touring on say a 99T, straight out of a 3 year lease for £11k ish. A couple of questions really, what is the general view on wear and tear generated by big miles in a short space of time, it\'s obviously better than short journeys but surely it can\'t be without wear to the major components? is say 110k miles in 3 years going to allow up to 190k over the next 4 without major mechanical failure or no less chance and expense than buying a 50k version and going to 130k. I have a feeling that the general public obsession with sub 100k cars allows some major bargains to be had with ex lease cars having done over 100k in 3 years which is pretty easy to do with big business and private miles in 3 years. I know HJ once said that only people who put value on these cars were people planning to them a haircut! I plan to keep it for 4 years and don\'t care too much what it\'s worth after that.

Do \"quality\" cars with good specs from lease companies go to auction or do they generally get passed through the trade to established retailers or their own outlets (eg fleetlease and autopoint).

I\'ve noticed that the figures that HJ quotes as glass\'s figures at auction are very similar to the part ex figures available from glasses via the telegraph and carsource.co.uk.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Ian