Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - perleman
Is the honeymoon over for diesel? Here are my thoughts:

* Concern over reliability of CR engines (misfueling etc)
* Petrol engines becoming more & more efficient
* More electric / hybrid cars on the market now
* Diesel prices going up recently (accepted this has happened to normal petrol too though, I paid £1.13 per litre last week)

One thing that makes me doubt that diesel has had it's day is that the price of 2nd hand diesels remains high despite concerns (on this board for example) about reliability. Usually, cars known for unreliability & high running costs don't hold their values as well i.e. Saabs, Masseratis.

Edited by perleman on 31/12/2007 at 16:05

Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Screwloose

For private owners, I've been saying it's over for quite a few years. [Nobody listened...]

Fleets see it differently, mainly due to the huge discounts that they can get from people like Citroen; but the auction prices in the SE now are getting so bad that many of them ship their cars to places like Cardiff where the locals still fight over 'em.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Kuang
It'll be interesting to see how well the Diesotto lump from Mercedes Benz goes down - if their economy claims are true then it'll call into question the traditional benefits of diesel engines.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Ruperts Trooper
Seperate the market into it's two sectors.

Fleet buyers want, and get, lowest cost per mile over the first three years of a vehicles life - diesel is king.

Private buyers want, but don't get, lowest cost over whole life - petrol isn't king but still predominant.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Pendlebury
I think it is over and the chief of engines for Fiat also says the same.
The EURO V diesel limits coming in soon will make it very expensive to develop new diesel technology - now that they are waking up to the fact that diesels do produce alot more harmful emmissions (contentious point - I know - but that is my view).
If you look at what alot of car makers are doing at the moment they seem to be putting more resource into making petrol engines drive like diesel engines as this is a cheaper way of producing cars they can sell that comply with the forthcoming legislation. VAG are doing it by combining superchargers and turbochargers and BMW have started to use turbo chargers in more of their petrol engines.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - tyro
car makers ... seem to be putting more resource into making petrol engines drive like diesel engines
VAG are doing it by combining superchargers and turbochargers and BMW have started
to use turbo chargers in more of their petrol engines.

Interesting. So perhaps the future (medium term anyway), is not hybrids or diesels, but turbos.

Of course, without turbos, diesels would probably have a tiny market share at the moment.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Pugugly {P}
the new 135 & 335 are state of the art in this respect......superb engines.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Galad
>>More electric / hybrid cars on the market now>>

But what is the battery-life and cost of replacement units? My neighbour is looking at a 3 year old Prius.
>>Concern over reliability of CR engines>>

Kia is confident enough to offer a 7 year warranty on the new Cee'd CRD. See: www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsDesign/Kia-C...e'd-1.6D-113-LS/223894/
Kia is confident enough to offer a 7 year warranty on the new Cee'd CRD.

Until it all destroys itself - and then it could be "I'm afraid we can't cover this £3,000 bill under warranty; you must have used contaminated fuel at some point, Sir...."

Why not; it works for Ford...

[Incidentally; was "Cee...d" the precursor of "Wee...d" in the Flowerpot Men?]

Edited by Screwloose on 31/12/2007 at 19:50

Screwloose

The Yanks have discovered common rail diesel technology! Surely a business opportunity for you? See:

www.autobloggreen.com/2007/12/28/popular-mechanics.../
Galad

Just imagine; a dirt-road garage in some backwater town trying to diagnose a PSA HDi with an OBD-II reader....

[But they do seem to be getting the message that hybrids ain't green!]
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - rtj70
"But they do seem to be getting the message that hybrids ain't green"

Not long after my brother who lives south of San Francisco (Montara) got his Beetle diesel, California made new diesel cars illegal to buy/sell. I think with cleaner diesels this situation may have changed or will soon.

Oh well; if they're going to need diesel fixers in California....

[Actually; I'd move to the States like a shot - if it wasn't for the healthcare costs. This country is finished.]
>>Actually; I'd move to the States like a shot - if it wasn't for the healthcare costs. This country is finished>>

Looks like China is the place to be - I visited the Canton Fair last October and they're shaping up to be the centre of car manufacturing by 2010; aircraft is next. What's left for us? Mining for the raw materials?
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Altea Ego
>and they're shaping up to be the centre of car manufacturing by 2010;

2010 is two years away, They wont make their goal by then based on the efforts so far.

> aircraft is next.

They wont do that either. Aerospace is "maintained" by western governments and arms companies. If they do its the time I give up flying.

>Whats left for us? Mining for the raw materials?

Us? we dont have any "raw materials" to mine.

Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - J Bonington Jagworth
"if it wasn't for the healthcare costs"

And perhaps the fact that their version of what we used to call the 'trade gap' is now past $2bn per day! That is not sustainable (nor is ours, but that's another matter)...
"if it wasn't for the healthcare costs"

And the fact that their version of what we used to call the 'trade gap' is now past $2bn/day! That's not sustainable - neither is ours, of course, but that's another matter...
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Altea Ego
you are all missing the fact that diesel popularity has nothing to do with us here in HJ back room, or even the uk. Diesels have prospered on the price of diesel fuel in Europe where it is significantly cheaper. Mainland europe is where it matters - not here

What you, we and me think here in the uk is irelevant.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - SuperBuyer
And I for one would not, never, ever go back to driving a petrol car again. Thats never, ever in a million years.

I just enjoy the noise and torque of a diesel engine (and that its very difficult to stall, unless you set off in 4th gear...)
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Avant
I enjoy the torque, not the noise.

I was very tempted by the lovely torquey engine in the petrol Octavia VRS (GTI engine), but not by the need for super-unleaded for it to give of its best, or the need to fill up every 300 miles. If I did fewer annual miles, I'd have gone for a petrol as long as it had plenbty of low-down torque as this engine has.

Coming back to the OP's question, AE is right - it isn't the UK that governs European manufacturers' plans: but there will still be a ready market for diesel from those of us who do high mileages.
I just enjoy the noise and torque of a diesel engine

I was poised to buy a new Volvo XC70 D5 but I couldn't get over the noise volume so I bought another petrol (not Volvo) - in automatic it spends most of it's time at about 2,000 rpm and it burbles nicely when you ease up to 3,000rpm. Just what would double torque give me?

If I wanted noise I could put one of my son's CDs in, I don't need a diesel for noise.

Edited by Ruperts Trooper on 31/12/2007 at 22:19

If I'm leaving the house at 5.20am, why shouldn't everyone else wake up too!! (only joking :-))

No, I just like to be able to hear the engine - the Golf has a nice rumble thats comforting. I know, I'm odd....
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - stuartl
I have to say that for our relatively low mileage use in the family car it just isnt worth getting a diesel with all the engine complexities that go with it.

I'm happier with a nice quiet petrol car.

The only problem is that I cant hear my missus pull up on the drive and get of the kit car and motoring websites in time so that she thinks I've been doing 'serious' paperwork all evening as she calls it.

By the way, Happy New Year to one and all.

BTW I wonder if anyone got Bell Boy that Rover he was after for Christmas???

; o )
I don't know what I will replace the Golf with when it hits 200K - in a couple of years time (I'm rapidly approaching 40K per annum) - the new vehicles with the Common Rail do seem a little more complex.

But with the diesel I only have to fill up twice a week, which is good.

I'll have to see how I get on with my weekend car - the Shogun. Thats a 3.2 common rail diesel engine...
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - tr7v8
The only reason that diesel is selling as well at present is simply that the RFL level is skewed accordingly. I bought an S-Type diesel on that basis. I don't pay for my fuel so would have had a V8 like a shot apart from the thieving C of Exchequer ridiculous obsession with CO2 figures. With the result that even the Jag costs me £205PA.
Would most Co. car drivers go for diesel apart from the CO2 BIK tax, of course not.
The Jag masks some of the major disadvantages of a diesel by being a 6 speed auto, but it's A. not very economical & B. slower than a 3litre petrol. The limited power band of the diesel in a manual car is a complete pain. Diesel is 207BHP, 3 Litre petrol is 240BHP.
The Jag gives me sleepless nights if it breaks, mega complicated HP pump & injectors, 2 x Turbos with Variable geometry. The Alfa was bad enough with one Turbo.
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8 Now sold!
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - rtj70
"I don't pay for my fuel so would have had a V8 like a shot "

Does the income tax on the fuel benefit not favour diesels as well? Or would you pay the same for 2.7l diesel engine as you would for say a 3.0l petrol. Curious.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - bell boy
BTW I wonder if anyone got Bell Boy that Rover he was after for Christmas???

; o )

missed this
infamy infamy
happy new year stuarti
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - jimf1912
I was poised to buy a new Volvo XC70 D5 but I couldn't get over
the noise volume so I bought another petrol (not Volvo) -
If I wanted noise I could put one of my son's CDs in I don't
need a diesel for noise.

I have to take issue with RT over this, having driven a Peugeot 306XND some years ago. Great fuel consumption, but as an ownership proposition - eewww!

Noise was one concern when I replaced my BMW 330Ci with a choice of 335i or 335d. Whilst the diesel is more expensive, its cheaper in terms of real world fuel economy 33mpg vs 26mpg for my city commuting; its less to tax - £200 or so vs. £400 next year; and whilst I didn't actually drive the 335i, the 335d is significantly quieter, both at idle and under power, than the 330Ci it replaced. You still get a growly exhaust note under power, but its more linear, less peaky, and just 'nicer' than the petrol. #

I think the same applies to all - you have to drive the car you are interested in buying - then decide on the petrol vs diesel debate. Every car is different, you can't generalise.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - motorprop
Galad's link goes nowhere ....
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - pendulum
Is the honeymoon over for diesel?

Probably. I am put off buying a modern diesel because they are moving away from what used to be good about them. They are becoming over engineered, but so are the petrols, with their turbo's and unreliable emissions systems and whatnot.

No new car is simple any more. That is why I like older ones. I like the sound of my old diesel engine chugging away, and I like the economy, and the fact it's not fuel fussy, and that I can do light repairs myself, that there's no warranty to invalidate, that I don't have to go to main dealers...

Old diesels: Brilliant.
Petrols: They'll have to do.
New diesels: No thanks.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Roly93
Is the honeymoon over for diesel? Here are my thoughts:

I must admit I am wondering myself, having been a diesel bore for about 6 years. I have recently moved to a Euro IV diesel, which doesn't give anything like the economy of my old Euro III diesel. Considering that fact that the 1.8T petrol version of my car will probably rteturn aroung 34 MPG on driving I am only just getting 42 mpg on, the advantages are seeming to be a slight unless you do starship mileages.

Coupled with the fact that for no logical reason diesel is 5p or nearly 23p per gallon dearer than petrol, its all starting to look bleak. Assuming that Euro V diesels will have even more efficiency-sapping gubbins on them, we may sadly be looking at a petrol revival.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - madf
"for no logical reason diesel is 5p or nearly 23p per gallon dearer than petrol"

Blame a Mr Brown: 3p is tax.
madf
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Roly93
"for no logical reason diesel is 5p or nearly 23p per gallon dearer than petrol"
Blame a Mr Brown: 3p is tax.

>>
As much as I love slagging off Brown, in this case it just isn't true. The fuel duty on unledade 95 octane and diesel is exactly the same the last time I looked, it is the oil companies we should be blaming.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - movilogo
How do you get such a good low end torque from petrol engines?
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Aprilia
Why does everyone go on about 'low end torque' - use the gearbox. A decent petrol engine has a wider powerband, rev range and is more flexible than a Diesel - provided you use the gearbox properly.
I'll admit to being hopeless when driving a petrol car, over-revving and then stalling!!!

I just like being able to cruise on the motorway in 6th and not have to worry about changing down to overtake
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - OldSkoOL
These debates over diesel seem to have 1 focus - diesel cars only being useful for long distance drivers and cheaper over these distances.

Does that really have to be the foundation of this debate.

People might buy diesel just because they like they way they drive, even if they only do 15k a year. It doesn't always have to be about the money - its what you like driving.

Edited by OldSkoOL on 01/01/2008 at 20:03

Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - XantKing
Well said, OldSkoOl, if we left every decision down to how much it costs and how much bother it is, then we'd all probably still be living in caves!

My old Xantia HDi has been a constant moneypit, and still doesn't quite perform right after a good four figure sum spent chasing vague turbo-related faults. And I only do a very average 12k miles a year now, so am probably just under the threshold for economic viability of a diesel anyways.

But goodness me, getting into it and starting up the oily lump is like putting on a favourite jacket, and I'll keep it till it dies - I like hearing my engines, I like feeling my engines, I lust after arcane old school diesels in the classics section of a certain auction site.

Why? I'm not sure I have the faintest idea, I'll probably stick with and tinker with Rudolf's engines till the internal combustion engine is taxed out of my financial reach!

And anyways, all this gubbins they're adding to petrol engines these days is just gonna make them as complicated, expensive and hard to diagnose as any common rail diesel... Suddenly, that nice looking Pug 205 diesel with its naturally-aspirated, indirect-injection XUD engine that was on that auction site last week looks like a very prudent buy!

Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - madf
Old Skool has it right.
We (SWMBO and I) both run diesels for short journeys plus the occasional long ones.

Reason is simple: Ever drive a petrol car an average journey length of 1.2 miles every year?

If you have, you will become familiar with : overfuelling, carbonned up valves, high fuel consumption and rusting exhausts..etc.

With a diesel none of the above.

madf
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - movilogo
Why does everyone go on about 'low end torque' - use the gearbox.

Agreed, but with huge torque available, a diesel car often can be driven almost like an automatic in town :)

And I'm not sure of petrol engines that can match almost flat torque curves of many diesel ones.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - 659FBE
Try pulling a heavy trailer utilising the torque multiplication of the gearbox in conjunction with a petrol engine. Once you've done it with a decent turbocharged diesel, you would never ever consider using a petrol engine again, even if fuel consumption didn't enter into the cost considerations.

I would agree with you, madf, that the diesel in older encarnations is absolutely fine for a mixed running regime, which is how I run my Cat III. They also don't throw out unburnt fuel when cold.

However, to return to the subject of the thread, Cat IV diesels and beyond have shown a marked tendency to give DPF problems when operated primarily on short runs. This, together with the added complexity and maintenance overhead leads me to agree with the implied view in the header - the honeymoon is over.

I'm afraid this is another instance where politicians will have killed off the most efficient prime mover for wheeled transport. So much for limiting CO2 emissions.

Edit timed out, further comment:

The reason a petrol engine with its torque multipled by the use of a lower gear ratio loses out to the diesel is that the usable torque band range reduces in direct proportion to the degree of multiplication achieved by lowering the ratio - this is what gearboxes do. A 3 litre petrol engine will pull my 1500kg trailer up a hill in second gear just as well as my diesel does in third or fourth, but it runs out of steam so quickly as to be pretty useless. In this situation, a ratio change will cause the loss of valuable momentum.

Unhitched on a level road, the differences are less marked, but the increased flexibility of the diesel makes it (for me) a far more relaxing drive. The savings in fuel knock the argument completely into the hat.

The notion of a Cat IV (and beyond) diesel burning extra fuel to clear the soot out of its DPF is to me at least, anathema to any real commitment to the lowering of carbon emissions per unit transportation task.

I've driven all kinds of vehicles, including big trucks, and for quite a few years a breakdown truck - Diesel of course. For towing they are good. For small-medium cars I an not a Diesel fan. They are good for cruising, but not for entertaing driving on a winding road, nor in town.
I use rental cars a lot for business travel and often request a Vectra 1.9D. They are great for fast and quiet long distance cruising with good economy - hence the preference. However not so nice in town. Not much much happens until the turbo kicks in, then there is a sudden surge of power, then it 'brick walls' at 4500. Definitely not to my taste. Give me a sweet petrol engine anyday for that kind of driving and TBH I can't see myself ever buying a Diesel car for my own use unless I take up towing a caravan (God forbid!). My mate who fixes Diesels for a living runs a Legacy as his own private car...

In terms of emissions the problem of Diesel particulates has been a concern for decades and to some extent Diesel engines have been living on 'borrowed time' for a while now. In the US there is huge concern over particulates and their impact on agricultural workers, truck & bus drivers etc. There is even a plan to get rid of Diesel engines in US school busses because of the worry of children breathing in a lot of particulates. Anyone who has worked around Diesel engines in a workshop for a long time will know how the fumes get into your lungs and 'stick' there. You can taste the soot for days afterwards and every time you cough.
Thanks for your comments, Aprilia. There is bound to be a degree of subjective preference in the choice of prime mover, obviously coloured by the type of use to which it is being put. The main point of my first paragraph in the last of my posts is that lowering the gear ratio between prime mover and the load is definitely not a substitute for the wider low speed torque range of the diesel. I have to say that town running with a reasonable turbocharged diesel (variable geometry helps to achieve usable boost at lower engine speeds) is no problem for me.

Nobody can argue that particulates are an undesirable form of pollution. The problem is political meddling. Just as the catalytic converter 20 years ago committed all petrol engine users to burn their fuel stochiometrically, wasting millions of tons of hydrocarbons in the process, we now have the repeat situation of the particulates legislation being drafted in a form which requires the use of a DPF - with all its attendant problems. The consequent waste of fuel caused by this choice of technology is criminal.

There are other ways to limit particulate emissions without the use of soot filters, but they require time to develop. The legislators need a quick fix for political gain. I'm afraid that we have cocked it up again for just the same reasons as before. Burning fuel stochiometrically or using it to burn off soot is a crime.

"You can taste the soot for days afterwards and every time you cough"

Which, in my view, is a good indicator of its toxicity. It's bad enough just riding behind the things on a bike...
Turbo-diesels with flat torque "curves" are usually obtained by limiting the engine output electronically to reduce stress on the transmission. The natural torque curve would be the exact opposite, a very pronounced peak.

Many petrol engines have naturally flat torque curves, over 90% of maximum torque throughout a wide range of revs.

Turbo-diesels do, of course, have much more torque to start with than non-turbo petrols.
"There are other ways to limit particulate emissions without the use of soot filters, but they require time to develop. The legislators need a quick fix for political gain. I'm afraid that we have cocked it up again for just the same reasons as before. Burning fuel stochiometrically or using it to burn off soot is a crime."

Sorry, I know knocking of politicians is popular and easy to do, but I think they have it about right.
Over the last few decades car makers around the world have shown that they will not voluntarily introduce emission reducation technologies on a large scale. They have needed legislation - this goes right back to the US Clean Air Ac, the CARB and the 'Muskie Laws' of the late '60's and early 1970's.
Manufacturers have had a couple of decades to work on Diesel particulates but have invested very little effort or money into this research. The Euro-V regs specify PM emission limits but NOT the kind of technology used to achieve the limit - although DPF are going to be the only viable way at present. There is nothing to stop other technologies being used as they become available.
The amount of extra fuel used to regenerate a DPF is very small indeed. A proper DPF system should not use additional fuel during normal running - some of the stuff one the market at present (like the problematic VAG 2.0 systems) is just not properly developed. The problem comes in the complexity of the dosing system etc which is needed.
Petrol engine emissions legislation does not require that there be stoichiometric running - the EU have always allowed for lean burn in the implementation of the regs - you might remember the Carina-E from years back? Don't forget the recent VAG FSI, Mitsi GDI systems etc. etc which are all allowed for in the regs. Incidentally, Euro-V for petrol engines specifically covers PM emissions for lean-burn, which is one of the drawbacks of this technology.

At the end of the day someone has to make a decision about what emission legislation will be introduced and that 'someone' is the 'politicians'. Its naive to think that the industry would simply take it upon itself to reduce emissions and then magically come up with efficient low-emissions technologies. The panels and committees that draft the Euro legislation are stuffed with industry reps - they probably have more influence than they should (and certainly more than they'd have in the US, which has been much tougher on its industry than Europe ever has).
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - peterb
"Why does everyone go on about 'low end torque' - use the gearbox"

.... or a decent autobox
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Dr_Duffy
Honeymoon? What honeymoon?
I have owned two diesels. A Fabia VRS and a Mondeo TDCI.
The Fabia VRS was bought on the strength of good road test reviews. Possibly a mistake because I didn't like it as much as the magazine road testers did. It felt nose-heavy and had a hard ride and rubbery/dead steering. I will not trust a magazine road test again. Not a patch on an old 206GTI I once owned.
We needed more space and so bought a Mondeo TDCI. That has proved to be a complete basket case of incompatible technologies, made by a company who wash their hands of their cars as soon as you drive away from the dealer. It has had numerous faults and now its finally been repaired it will be sold. Fingers crossed it keeps running until I can p/x it.
I have never had much go wrong with petrol cars so my future cars will be petrol.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - quizman
In France they buy many more diesel cars than petrol. I wonder if they have the same problems as us.

Of course you don't see many Ford cars in France.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Saltrampen
The balance between diesel and petrol cars in most European countries is determined by the price difference between the cars and the price difference between the fuels.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Alby Back
Forgive me, it's probably been covered a squillion times elsewhere. But every time I read one of these threads which alludes to this seemingly widespread habit of misfuelling I just wonder how dozy you would have to be to do this ? I fill up my car with diesel every other day and have done for years and years. I also fill up my wife's car approx. once a week with petrol. I have never even picked up the wrong pump either in this country or abroad, still less attempted to use it ! I do not claim anything other than standard issue synapse connection but it really doesn't seem terribly difficult particularly when the contents of the pump are identified in writing and usually colour coded. If the eyesight standard for driving is set by reading a distant number plate then reading the signage on a petrol / diesel pump at three feet shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of any driver should it ?

As for the suggestion that modern diesels are economic time bombs. It also pays to remember the rules of selective perception. A small number of dissatisfied people will make more noise than a large number of satisfied ones.

My last 1/4 of a million miles have been covered in common rail diesels without one related reliability issue ( most of them Ford TDCI's by the way )
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - OldSock
Honeymoon? What honeymoon?

Quite. In over 25 years of car ownership I've never once owned a diesel.

In that respect, I've never even had a one night stand!
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - glowplug
I've never been the honeymoon diesel driver (though I did go on honeymoon in a diesel). I drive a XM 2.5 TD where as the war office has a little Polo 1.4 petrol. It makes quite a change to drive her car, high revving, smooth and gutless but fun! I only drive 4 miles to work but I use a mixture of bio diesel and straight veg oil so the price is OK.

As for towing with a diesel, I towed a XM on a trailer with a Xantia HDi110 and still got 40mpg overall.

Personal choice as ever. I'm not the kind of person to choose a brand or type hence my regular swapping between AMD/Intel/Ati/Nvidia.

Steve.
---
XM 2.5TD VSX S2 Estate.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Corrib12
Back in 1988 when I was up and down the UK in a Citroen BX17 diesel and thrilled with it's engine and suspension, we were on the M25 going past Heathrow and a BMW525 lost control on the outside lane, came on to the front of the bonnet doing huge damage. He ripped off the fuel lines and the front end was awash with diesel. The police and then the breakdown truck driver both said we would have been fried to a crisp in a petrol car with that kind of damage.
Ever since, I've driven diesel cars on the basis of enhanced safety in the event of accidents. Is this still something to be born in mind when choosing one's vehicle today?
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Xileno {P}
I'm not sure. Diesels seem to polarise people, you either love or loathe them. There appears little in between. I was thinking about going back to petrol next time as I do well under 10000 miles a year now. But I've been using a petrol Megane 1.6 VVT and although on paper it offers similar performance, you have to wring its neck far more than on the dCi. Diesels offer effortless cruising.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - gordonbennet
Diesels seem to polarise people you either love or loathe them. similar performance you have to wring
its neck far more than on the dCi.

Agree with that statement, and 25 years ago it was just the opposite, with powerful petrols, and robust, simple diesels that wouldn't pull you're hat off.

Personally i don't like the power delivery of many modern diesels, with a very small power band, which calls for lots of quick gearchanges to make any progress, plus with the very considerable power once on stream, means the FWD diesel makes a see saw kangaroo of acceleration, horrible for passengers.

I have been using diesels a long time now, but i too don't like the way things are going for diesel, and if the hilux had been available in petrol through Toyota GB, i would have had one instead and had lpg fitted with the cost saved.

Naturally we all want different things from our vehicles, and thats why we choose different specs when we buy.

To me reliability is the absolute, and only time will tell if i made the right choice, that choice isn't quite so simple now in the petrol/diesel decision.

So different even to 25 years ago.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - OldSkoOL
Maybe for the niche group on this forum but not for the country as a whole

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7174856.stm
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Collos25
Autobild in Germany have taken 60 new cars in both diesel and petrol form given them a proper test equivelent to 4 years above average use and in all cases the petrol came out cheapest to run and thats in a country where diesel is cheaper than petrol.Having run diesels for the last two years I have now reverted to petrol they are so much simpler.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - kingslea
Can we have some facts?
The constant reports of poor reliability for modern diesels on this site can surely be checked by reference to any car breakdown organisation or warranty company. They may not make the facts public but surely there are people clever enough to prise them out?
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - PhilW
"Having run diesels for the last two years I have now reverted to petrol they are so much simpler"

Subjective I know, (but no more subjective than some other views) but I have run diesels for the last 20 years and apart from cambelts every 70 - 80 k the biggest job has been the replacement of about 6 glowplugs on a total of 6 different engines over more than half a million miles (and half those miles done on HDis, other half on XUDs). Can't get much simpler than that - especially since I did the glowplugs myself - about £60 quids worth. All these cars have done a minimum of 45 mpg overall.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - Martin1981
Having been driving for 7 and a half years and having only owned 2 cars, both Peugeot XUD diesels (309 and 306), I've yet to experience owning a petrol car or even a common rail diesel car. When my venerable 14 year old 213k 306TD gives up the ghost I'm still determined to stick with diesel, unless it gets to the point where the price of diesel becomes something ridiculous like 12p per litre more than petrol, then I maybe persuaded to go for a petrol, something along the lines of a 1.6 Ford Focus.

Martin
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - 3T
I replaced an Astra Coupe with an Astra'sporthatch' last year
I liked the look of the car so the hunt began.
After a few weeks of looking , the only ones in my budget were either the painfully slow 1.4 petrol or the diesel. Both cars were the same age and money, the diesel had 1500 more miles and was a much better drive so that's what I went for.
A year on I am loving it and hope that I won't regret it, plan to keep for about 3 years so plenty of time for expense to rear it's ugly head.
I do approx 11k a year of fast A roads and motorway and am getting early 50s economy so am reasonably happy. The type of driving I do seems to suit the oil burner and I still smile at the torque after a few years of revvy petrols.
Diesel - is the honeymoon over? - GranTurismo
The only diesel I've owned was an Audi A4 Tdi (115bhp). It gave good service - never breaking down and returned an average of 51.4 mpg. Performance was very respectable and completely linear - none of the current surging between gearshifts. The only downfall was the exhorbitant servicing costs - even 2 independent specialists were MORE expensive than the Audi dealer ! But even with diesel being dearer at the pumps, it's still THE choice for higher mileage users. I only do 10k a year and have a 1.6 petrol at the moment, but as quite a few of those miles are local (less than 30 mile trips) I'm looking at another turbo-diesel. I also like the torque-heavy midrange compared to small capacity petrol engines.