An Open Letter To Car Drivers - pda
You see us on the roads, Lorries, and hate us. You fail to make a link between what you buy in the shops and how it gets there. You think we get in your way, cause traffic hold ups and delay you on your journey.
You think we do this on purpose, solely to get in your way and anger you.
You never think we have to be there, it is our job. You never think we may feel guilty for holding you up.
You criticise our driving professing to be better and to know more about jobs than we do. You never take into consideration that we may have a load in the trailer that needs special consideration when braking or going round roundabouts. On the other hand, that we may have driven for 9 hours that day in all weathers and road conditions plus worked tipping and loading the trailer for at least another 4 hours all perfectly legally. You still know best.
You want us off the roads in the rush hour, you want us to park out of site away from YOUR area and home, in a lay-by with no toilet, tap or food. You don?t care about our health or safety, just as long as we?re out of sight then we?re out of your minds.
You don?t stop and think of the many hours we?re held up by ?shunts? on the motorways and at junctions and roundabouts by 4/5/6 cars driving into the back of each other caused dimply by lack of concentration and bad driving.
Yet, you criticise us for bad driving when a lorry has an accident, it?s always because he fell asleep, or was driving like an idiot.
I?ve been told that ALL lorry drivers are the scum of the earth, I?ve read that Lorry Drivers are not professional and the job isn?t classed as ?skilled? or a Trade.
That we do it because we are thick and can do nothing else, that?s the reason we chose to get in your way and delay your journey by a couple of seconds.

If this is the case, WHY do you then see me in a queue of slow moving traffic and trust me completely to jam on my brakes and stop as you slot into the queue, braking hard on my front bumper?

Have I suddenly become a very good driver, who can be depended upon to expect you to do that and be braking accordingly before it happens? THAT is what we have to do to avoid squashing you between 44 tons of metal and whatever may be in front of you, and we always do it, but that counts for nothing in your eyes.
Is your journey really that important?
Is your life really so unimportant?
Is your consideration and regard for every other road user so low?
Why does it always have to be YOU first, what happened to good manners and forbid, good driving?
Next time you decide to do this remember we are the scum of the earth, who have no skills and care even less, and ask yourself if we really will stop in time to avoid shunting you into the vehicle in front?

If you decide that may not be true, and that we can be depended upon to take the necessary steps to negate YOUR bad driving then start treating us with the respect we deserve.

Edited by Webmaster on 23/12/2007 at 12:25

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - oldpostie
Well said, pda.

But, it would also be appreciated if certain HGV drivers would refrain from pulling out in front of a car driver, overtaking another lorry uphill when he has no chance of succeeding without blocking both lanes for ages.

Have a good Christmas.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - mal
There are good car drivers and bad car drivers, same as there are good and bad lorry drivers.
Things will never change and will only get worse as our under funded roads get more congested.
We just have to be on our guard at all times for self preservation.
A Rant At Car Drivers - Armitage Shanks {p}
Dear oh Dear! What a lovely festive rant! The only view I have on heavy transport is that it IS annoying when they try overtaking with a 2mph speed differential! Apart from that I have no views or thoughts at all. The roads are clogged rotten because the Government won't spend the money to improve them and/or won't provide viable cheap public transport. In the end nobody uses the roads unless they have to, when we do we are all held up by crashes and road closures, we are all in the same situation. Live and let live and get over the persecution complex. If you don't like your job and the problems you have, thinking that people don't like you and your trade, get over it or try something else.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 23/12/2007 at 08:07

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - kinklear
It's the goverment that resticts the lorrys to two lanes and 56 M P H .
And as and from the first of 01/01/2008 you will have van drivers ressticted to 56 M P H. as well.

Edited by kinklear on 23/12/2007 at 09:02

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - L'escargot
You see us on the roads Lorries and hate us.

I have the utmost respect for truckers. For the the final 27 years of my working life I was employed by a truck component manufacturer, and I know that without truck drivers my job wouldn't have existed. During the course of my job I was given the opportunity to drive (admittedly on a track) several types/sizes of fully-loaded trucks, so I've got some idea of what it's like.

Incidentally, I'd sooner have a truck alongside me on a 2-lane roundabout than a car any day. I know that most truckers are far more aware of what is going on around them than a lot of car drivers.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Dwight Van Driver
pda

You have to admit that, despite more stringent testing etc, there are still a lot of cowboys out there in you field of work leading to damnation of the lot of you.

The problem is the ordinary car driver has no conception of the problems they cause you and why at times you have take certain courses of action. Must admit I was in this camp until one day I was directed (pre HGV Lic days) to drive a 10 tonner from Washington across to Blackpool. I learnt a lot on that journey.

Majority, like the old knights of the road, BRS Night drivers, don't do so bad.

dvd
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Waino
I believe that truck driving is a highly skilled job, and it isn't something that I'd fancy doing. However, I live only a short distance fron the A14 and it does concern me that almost everyday there is a report of yet another bad 'accident' - and it usually involves an HGV. It also worries me when, in a line of traffic moving at 40mph, I have a 40 tonner following at 5 yards from my bumper!
Live and let live and get over the persecution complex. If you don't like your job and the problems you have, thinking that people don't like you and your trade, get over it or try something else.
As posted by Armitage Shanks

It was exactly that, live and let live, that prompted my thoughts on this matter during the last week of lorry driving, having had so many incidences of this happening and having to take avoiding action, but also knowing just how close I was to hitting the car in front.
I've done my job for 27 yrs and love it, what I don't like is to hear us condemned on the one hand and then placed in a compromising position where we would be to blame, on the other hand.
I have also seen, over the years, the horrifying results that this action can have and it never ceases to amaze me that no-one else ever thinks it can happen to them.
Roads are greasy with salt etc at this time of the year, so we leave more space to brake but without fail that safety zone is filled up and that leaves us sitting there worrying whilst we back off a little more, only to allow more and more to fill it.
Why should I drive uneasy and uncomfortable because cars think we can stop on a sixpence for them?
Sadly, it's not always possible.

Pat
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Ruperts Trooper
The high proportion of HGV drivers that tailgate each other and car drivers, together with obsession about overtaking other HGVs going 1mph slower, goes a long way to justify the criticism.

Remember the new Highway Code - "merge-in-turn" - don't block dual carriageways three miles before the road works.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Alby Back
There are many versions of the "professional" driver out there. Not all of them are immediately obvious because their vehicle is not large and signwritten. Many others can claim that the "economy would grind to a halt without us" . The economy is a chain of mainly, cooperative events kept turning to a greater or lesser degree by all its contributors. Think of, for example the sales reps who get the orders for the goods which then get shipped by truck. The service engineer who fixes the machine which produces the goods. The list goes on and on.

Most of our travel problems are caused purely and simply by too many vehicles of all types trying to use an inadequate infrastructure at the same time.

Witness, for example, the huge improvement in journey times when schools are on holiday. Driving around Britain actually becomes pleasurable for those brief respite weeks.

The key to unlocking the grid is to get the short distance, commuter / discretionary / school run, on to public transport. It is my view these "non-professional" categories of journey and driver who in the main cause the problems.

As for discourteous driving, far more of that can be seen in the evenings and weekends than during "normal office hours" There used to be a phrase to cover it..... "Sunday Drivers"

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/12/2007 at 10:08

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Alby Back
PS - sorry for all the typos above !

Found me specs now !

SS
corrected for you.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/12/2007 at 10:08

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - L'escargot
Unfortunately we live in an aggressive and spiteful age.

Today's car drivers hate all road users who inconvenience them, whether it be truck drivers, other car drivers, cyclists, or pedestrians. Whatever happened to "live and let live"? I'm just amazed at the way some Backroomers get so incensed that they're still complaining about the actions of other road users hours after the incident occurred.

On the road the aggression sometimes goes as far as to end up in that relatively modern phenomenon known as "road rage". Yes, it's relatively modern, and it's a sign of the times.
--
L\'escargot.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Garethj
Awful rant, 2/10, must try harder.

Some truck drivers are terrible, same as some car drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists, pedestrians, people with brown hair, left handed people..... get where this is going yet?

Drive well and you'll be ignored, drive badly and everyone will swear at you. If you've got any ideas on how to change this, go ahead. But it doesn't look like you have, other than making this dreadful whining post.

I'll only comment in detail on the first bit of your post; truck drivers need to be there, we'd all die without the service they provide etc etc. What about the car driver who works in a hospital? The cyclist who cleans the school, the motorcyclist who unlocks the gates to the supermarket? 2 days without any of them and we'd all be in trouble. Truck drivers are no more or less valuable than anyone else.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Nsar
Quite - it's the sort of self-pitying stuff you find on the fuel protest websites.

If it were a transplant organ delivery driver then fine but some trucker shunting Argos trash around the country is just another ordinary Joe on the road - like me or you.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - oilrag
To the OP,
I can demonstrate this any day of the week on motorways.

I`m in the small Punto van and travelling at exactly the same speed as the HGV in front, with a reasonable gap. The trucks in front and behind me are in a line, Its The M62 east of the M1, its flat so speeds not as variable as where there are hills.

But for some reason the HGV behind me starts to travel at about 3 metres from my rear bumper. He then either stays there or pulls out with a gap of around 1.5 metres from my rear bumper, proceeds to drive alongside me, stationary in that position, until I lose my nerve and slow slightly to let him take the place on the road I was occupying.

It seems like intimidation to a small van which is actually smaller than most cars, but i have just as much right as the HGV to travel in the inside lane, which I do with care and consideration for bigger vehicles.

Then there were the two HGV`s driving 2 abreast (overtaking and oncoming) on that single track road on the Howden road to Bridlington where the road dips several times and a car can be unseen.

Just managed to emergency brake down and drive straight off the road onto the wide grass verge before they they both thundered past, abreast, fully taking both sides of the road.

Anyway, all the best for Christmas, don`t take this personally, but there are two sides to most stories.

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Paul Duncan
I'm very proud of holding every group on my licence.. Its taken a lot of understanding and patience to reach this far... How many of you out there can say the same..?

How many of you out there that are quite ready to criticise HGV/LCV/PCV drivers are able to take and pass the required tests?

Ignorance and the desire to "Beat the Truck or Bus" by the majority of road users is just one of the reasons that drivers of larger vehicles face difficulties.

Furthermore, don't forget the "Van Driver".. They are labled with negitive views, but they are an "In-between" group. They don't have the attention of the authorities that larger vehicle drivers have and the fact that a van drives "like a car" promotes complacency.

Just remember that all larger vehicle drivers had to start somewhere.. Passing a car test first.. We do know and understand what it takes to drive both sizes of vehicle..

The next time you want to criticise the "Truck Driver".. put yourself in their driving seat.. before engaging mouth.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Garethj
I'm very proud of holding every group on my licence.. Its taken a lot of understanding and patience to reach this far... How many of you out there can say the same..?
How many of you out there that are quite ready to criticise HGV/LCV/PCV drivers are able to take and pass the required tests?

The next time you want to criticise the "Truck Driver".. put yourself in their driving
seat.. before engaging mouth.

Utter nonsense. I wouldn't go telling an HGV driver how to work his tacho, connect up the air hoses, or do a right turn on a mini roundabout but all you need to look at someone's driving is to be a driver or even just have some consideration for other humans around you.

To pick a well worn example, blocking other traffic either when stationary or at speed, when an overtake requires well over a minute is a selfish act. I wouldn't attempt it in an Austin A40 if I had to pass something marginally slower (like an Austin A30;-) ) I don't believe any nonsense like it would hold you up for 15 minutes either, unless when you hit even a tiny traffic jam you'd plough through the rest of the traffic because you can't afford to lose time. Even hitting a couple of red traffic lights through a city can hold you up by 5-10 minutes, are you allowed to jump them too because you can't afford to be held up?
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Altea Ego

MOst blokes with a car license actually. It aint hard.

------
< Ulla>
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Number_Cruncher
>>It aint hard.

Now there, I must disagree. Putting aside the difficulties of taking a test in a large vehicle, putting aside the extra test aspects that simply don't have an equivalent in a car test, the standard required of your driving is far higher than the car test. The driving standard required is much more like that of an IAM advanced test.

I'm not saying that most people couldn't pass HGV/PSV tests, but most of them would have to up their game significantly to do so.

It aint easy either!

Number_Cruncher
well put it like this. Most car drivers could, if they applied themselves, pass an HGV test,
------
< Ulla>
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - wobblyboot
I'll pay for your test, if you pass it without lessons
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - scaniadriver
well put it like this. Most car drivers could if they applied themselves pass an
HGV test

Theres a lot more to the job than passing a driving test and then just sitting behind a wheel all day. Try sheeting and roping a load in the freezing cold. Try driving a tautliner across an exposed road in high winds. Try getting lost in central London two hours late and with the vaguest of addresses to try and find. Trust me Ive been in all these situations and its no fun. Passing the HGV test is only the beginning.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Martin Devon
In a small North Devon Town last week in a very narrow road and old lady stopped in her Micra to unload at a Charity shop. Now she was all of 70, but seemed to be driving well. A very large rigid lorry deliberately pulled up behind her at speed and stamped on the brakes making the cab bounce like crazy. That was sheer ignorance, nothing else. His subsequent chat with the BIB may have changed his ways.

PDA's letter is very good, but there are some real pink fluffy dice (and one new word for the swearfilter) behind the wheel of all transport. Me me me. The roads are just too congested now for tearing about too much and the sooner we all learn that in reality ya ain't going anywhere fast the better off we will all be. Oh! and if you are going to be late for work...........get up earlier!

Merry Christmas to you all.......MD

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/12/2007 at 12:48

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Pugugly {P}
In fairness Martin there are plenty of the same types in cars, on bikes (both types) and on foot, lorries haven't got a monopoly.
In fairness Martin there are plenty of the same types in cars on bikes (both
types) and on foot lorries haven't got a monopoly.

>>

Thanks PU, but I did say, "behind the wheel of all transport."

Very best reg's...................MD
That'll teach me to speed-read - humble mince pie duly consumed.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - the_bandit
I treat all road users with equal contempt and HGV's are no different.

We are all out there just trying to get from A to B although I do recognise that you have unique needs whilst on the road given the nature of haulage.

When I'm travelling on the inside lane I'm more than happy to flash my headlights when you wish to pull back in after overtaking me or if I'm travelling along the outside lane and recognise your gaining on the vehicle in front and an overtaking move is coming up I would ease off, wait for eye contact with you in your door mirror and flash my headlights so you can stay on the throttle maintain your momentum.

However these are my problems with HGVs:

(1) When a motorway has established roadworks and say lanes two and three of a motorway are being closed and therefore down to lane 1, that you insist on a rolling road block about 1mile before it in some pathetic attempt to control the flow of traffic leading up to the roadworks. What gives you the right to do this? But then who's gonna argue is your attitude! The roads are there to be used and your rolling roadblocks only serve to create even further tailbacks.

Feeling bullish one day I tried this myself on a HGV. Whilst travelling in a queue with others into roadworks I spy a 40-footer barreling on in lane 2 which was about to close in 200yards. So I drifted to my right and put my MPV across lane 1 and 2. Boy did he not like that!!! On came the full beam and I swear if I had a towball on the back I could have hooked him up! However I held my nerve with the attitude "get it right up you!" Don't like it on the other foot then??

(2) Those HGV drivers who start an overtaking move on a level with about a 2 or 3mph advantage but fail to look ahead and see an incline which will soon cancel this advantage out. The result? You travel for miles side by side with neither prepared to give way and so create about a 20 car tailback until eventually you either regain the advantage and pass or lose even more speed and pull back in.

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - component part
@OP

Bit of an hysterical rant that...I for one know full well that the majority of goods are delivered by lorry and having them on the roads is absolutely necessary. I NEVER cut into a lorry's braking space, simple survival technique to me, who wants potentially 44 tons slamming into the back of them. I don't even mind too much when they overtake each other.

FWIW the only problem I have with 'lorry drivers' is how frequently you get cut up on the Mways and A roads by trucks pulling out to overtake just when you yourself are about to pass them. Yes, I do try and anticipate what they might do and will of course change lane to assist if possible, but the amount of times I have taken direct action to avoid a collision is numerous.

Also sometimes a truck will attempt an overtake that in my opinion he should not because of the unreasonable time taken, but I repeat I have no problem with trucks overtaking most of the time.

On the whole I congratulate lorry drivers-it isn't a job I would like to do.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - gordonbennet
pda, i'm not going to comment too much on this, i too have been doing the job for some 30 odd years.

I hope i drive competently, but remember at the end of the day i'm supposed to be a pro (guffaws all over the country) so i expect to be able to handle situations as they arrise.

I expect most other drivers to do what we would assume to be the wrong thing in any given circumstance, for the simple reason that for most other road users that isn't their job, so we should expect to be better, not the case these days.

I dont tell another profession how to do their job cos i don't know how.

Sorry if this sounds pompous it's not meant to be, and i'm not saying that i'm any better than anyone else on the road but i should be as i'm very well paid for it and take my responsibility seriously.

I've had good and bad treatment as a hgv'er over the years, but remember snobbery and class distinction will always be rife, its moved away from breeding and is now wealth based so will always be there in some form.

Should imagine i've been labelled as a dissident at some official base as for the last 30 years when having to complete forms that require your social/professional status, i've always crossed out the list (always ends with people who work for a living at the bottom, only teasing) and written 'scum of the earth lorry driver' across them.

Silly i know but life's too short to really take any of this seriously.

The problems on the roads with the bunching are caused mostly by the compulsory fitting of speed limiters, we didnt have these bunching problems years ago, having said that obviously roads have become far too congested and many younger drivers havent learned really how to control vehicles on bad surfaces, as with the incredible improvements in handling and performance of even very inexpensive vehicles the standards of grip means that things are at a desperate and sometimes irrecoverable state when the younger driver finally realises somethings not right; this is not criticising the young its just how things are, and jolly lucky they are too not to have to learn to control some of the old jalopies we have.

Sorry veered off a bit there and have waffled much longer than intended, i'll belt up now.

Reagards all.
`The next time you want to criticise the "Truck Driver".. put yourself in their driving seat.. before engaging mouth.`

Same for the car driver of course ;)

(had a sudden vision of the Congo flowing between the Bonobo`s and the Chimps and keeping the peace)

nothings really changed has it, except I`m not sure which group is allowed in the outer lane ;)

Give me a fast bike any day:):)
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - henry k
i'll belt up now.

>>
I thought all HGV drivers were so fantastic they do not need / use belts. ;-(
I thought all HGV drivers were so fantastic they do not need / use belts.
;-(

Not this one Henry, i'm useless but i confess i don't use the seat belt ever in a truck and i'll tell you why.

Try sitting in a modern truck, volvo are a good example and look out of the front offside window as if youre approaching a roundabout/junction, the mirrors are so huge and placed so high (another 12 year old with computer design?) that there is an unbelievable amount of blind spot covering youre view, plus of course the ever thicker door/screen pillars.

So i need to be able to duck and dodge look see around the things, especially to see bikes.

Nothing to do with heroics or my undoubted skills (rolling round the floor now i bet).

So nurrgh!
I think gordonbennet makes a good point about young HGV drivers - driver training has changed - from the old approach of being a driver's mate first, helping to handball the load off at the destination, and seeing from the passenger seat how to drive a truck for a few years until being able to get a licence themselves, to the new approach where you can obtain a C+E licence in a week or two, and, if you're lucky, you might watch a video in a classroom of how to load a truck safely!

I think that as soon as you take a truck onto the road, you have to take the stupidity of car drivers into account - they have always been blinkered, they have never understood what it's like to drive a truck, and they never will. Nor should they - as a truck driver, you have to be aware of them and drive accordingly - it is your responsibility.

Fully agree with gb - wearing a seat belt in a truck is too restrictive, and almost dangerous when you are in a heavy traffic situation - on a motorway, when there's less need to be watching close to the cab, seatbelts are OK.

I'm glad I don't need to drive trucks now - for me, driving trucks was how I kept some money coming in while I made the jump from mechanic to engineer. My weekends and college/university holidays were spent driving trucks via an agency. This meant I drove a wide variety of trucks on a wide variety of jobs - from multi-drop parcel collection and delivery (ugh!) to long distance night trunking deliverying anything and eveerything from carpets to building cement.

Given the choice between spending a night in a cold tin-box parked 10 feet from a busy dual carriageway, with no loo, no sink, no kettle, no etc, etc, and a night spent in my bed at home - I would have to be on hard times indeed to get back into the cab.

I think that HGV drivers who rant on too much need to consider a change of career - their rants are never going to change attitudes in any number. They're far more likely to alienate people.

Number_Cruncher

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Westpig
i fail to see what this post is about?

most lorry drivers are fairly skilled, you've only got to see an artic reversed into a tight space to work that one out.......and notice an HGV driver anticipating things (usually so they can keep their momentum up)..

the problems come when some (and unfortunately there are quite a few) who ignorantly decide that their priorities are the only ones on the road....

e.g. bunching, so that when you want to join/leave a motorway it is considerably more difficult than it could be, because all the lorries are nose to tail..there's no need for it and it displays gross deliberate ignorance...because unlike the dawdling car mimser, most lorry drivers do know better, but choose to ignore what they know

there are many other examples, some mentioned above, such as the 'forever overtake', 'rolling roadblock into roadworks', 'last minute no warning overtake swing despite the fact they've been up the other lorry's 'arris for the last 3 miles'

as a general overview i consider lorry drivers abilities to be far superior to the average car drivers..however a significant number wilfully choose to ignore them, which gives all the others bad press as well

maybe the post should have been directed at fellow lorry drivers asking them to 'up their game'
To all of you who have accused me of haveing a 'rant' whether a good one or a poorly rated one, you have totally missed the point.

I too can list a list of other things car drivers do that cause us all problems, examples of bad driving and mindless manouvres I see some of you make, but it won't do any good.

The reason for the original post was that during the last couple of weeks of bad weather conditions I have seen so many unecessary accidents, and have had to try and avoid so many more caused by this specific practice of trying to get in the inside lane for a junction or roadworks at the very last minute, so as to be in front of the lorry, and then brake hard to match the speed of that lane.
It was with resignation I made that post and an attempt to make at least some of you realise just how risky it is, on greasy roads, to put your utter and complete faith in someone who you are ever ready ( as shown above) to criticise.

We have so much time to sit and watch and think about these things that we see happening more and more, is it any wonder we want to know WHY it's done, what's in the persons head to make them think it's safe to do this?

And to the gentleman driving the van in the inside lane, try going above 56MPH and then you'll never be bothered by a lorry because that's our limit.................and yes I know Irish lorries/ French lorries do go faster, but for English lorries, that's our lot!

pda, i'm obviously reading from your hymnsheet as we have the same problems.

We have to concede though that the standards of hgv driving have fallen drastically in the time we've been on the job.

I'm sure that when you started this game, unless you were lucky enough to get one of the very few 'dead mans shoes' jobs that you started from the most lowly and poorly paid position and worked your way hopefully up.

I'm in the fortunate position to be in one of those 'dms' positions and very grateful for it.

You must meet loads of (mainly) chaps doing our job who really shouldn't be and it shows in not only their competence but their attitude, both on and off the road.

This not to say i don't agree with you and sometimes it is frustrating to the extreme the sheer stupidity of people.

I for one do understand your points. some will not, but truck drivers also drive cars (in my case probably equally badly) and see things from both sides.

I think the only one's that really get to me are when someone has endangered themselves by silliness and then you realise after recovering from evasive action that there's a small child in the car and usually a 'baby on board' sticker on the back.

Does 'baby on board' translate into'you take responsibility for my actions' ?

Trouble is, how many believe that their n.cap tested super dooper whatevermobile will protect them whatever may happen.

We've both seen things over the years, a large saloon car measuring approx 18 inches from bumper to bumper when sandwiched between 2 trucks being one of many sights i would rather forget.

We cant touch on the subject of how much more dangerous the roads will become, as we are replaced with cheaper imports, but we see that already every day.

If anyone's bothered have a look on the youtube, under 'crash test' and if you have a hunt round there is a crash test in Europe of a 10-15 tonner bonneted lorry crashing into the rear of a typical stationary line of cars.....its absolutely terrifying and shows just how much crumple zone a truck has.
`And to the gentleman driving the van in the inside lane, try going above 56MPH and then you'll never be bothered by a lorry because that's our limit..`

That would be me...Good tip, to stop being "bothered by a lorry" always travel faster than their limit.

Thanks, perhaps that should be in the Highway Code ;)

(written with warmth and intended humour)

SNIPQUOTE!
(written with warmth and intended humour)

Thats the trouble with really tight fellows who invariably live up north, getting at least 10 mpg more by spending all day in the slip stream.

Got a good tip oilrag, keep a spare tow rope with you and hook it to the tailboard as a truck comes by, he wont see you cos his mirrors will be filthy and you can traverse the 62 for free.

Course if you had a solid bar you could make use of the trucks brakes as well, save a fortune on linings.

Must make a note to grow up one day.

Kind Regards

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/12/2007 at 18:30

"Thats the trouble with really tight fellows who invariably live up north, getting at least 10 mpg more by spending all day in the slip stream."

Ha Ha ;) At LEAST 10mpg.... I once got 78MPG on an under 60MPH trip to the east coast...

Always enjoy your posts gordonbennet, all the best !
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Fullchat
Its probably the time of year for reflection and pda might have had a bad week so I think we should cut him some slack. He makes some valid points as do other posters regarding the antics of some lorry drivers.
Most HGV drivers I have met are masters in their craft, knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with. Could teach me a thing or two. (then thats not hard!)Then there are a small minority..... well lets leave it there.
To the knights of the road have a well earned Christmas and a safe New Year.
--
Fullchat
Sure, Good point Fullchat, I regret any retaliative comments I made in this thread, All the best to everyone. ;)
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - PhilW

"Its probably the time of year for reflection and pda might have had a bad week so I think we should cut him some slack. "

Or even "cut her some slack"??????

www.pda-uk.org/trustees.htm
Just a wild guess
--
Phil
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - PoloGirl
Blimey...I hope not. Someone who works in PR, and therefore writes for a significant proportion of their job, should be ashamed of that original post.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Big Bad Dave
Nicely done PhilW
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Fullchat
Shame, shame on me for being gender specific. Must have left my diversity head at work. My apologies to pda.
--
Fullchat
Apologies accepted !

And yes, it was a very bad week for seeing accidents that never should have happened.
The sights stay with us for a long time, you know.
Someone's child/Mother/Father/Son etc, who won't be going home for Christmas does cause you to reflect on why and want to try and prevent it happening.

I also know that we're certainly NOT blameless, there are times I am thoroughly ashamed of my fellow lorry drivers actions and know we'll all be castigated by them.
True some of the younger HGV drivers are in this for the money and not for the skill or pride in the job we were taught to have.
As mentioned, I have a lot of respect for very many car drivers who mostly do a 'lot of miles' I would think, from the way they drive and it's always a pleasure to meet a good one.
If this post causes just one of you to think before you do anything, about the state of the roads, or the situation around you, it will be worth it.
By reading your forum regularly it does give me a different insight as to how you see us and why, and it's very often an angle I hadn't thought of, so it's not all bad!

I wish you all a Very Happy Christmas and a Safe New Year!

Pat
PDA
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Ed V
great thread, not before time. Commercial drivers are, IMHO, better than us, as evidenced by appalling week-end driving versus mid-week.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Paul I
What does this thread make me ... Partner in a Car transporter co... to many I must be seen as the devil and the savior of many...

Whilst I don't usually drive an HGV; being the time of the year etc, I've just done a round trip Kent to Devon and Back. 12 new cars down (someones new years present!!) 7 ex rentals back that will go to a car super market next week.

Believe me it annoys me as much as you having to do 40mph on parts of the A303 when I could easily manage 50mph.

Just to put "Altea ego" comment in some perspective, try revesing something that weighs in my case about 33 tonnes is over 60ft long and 15ft high in pitch black between rows of Audi's with 12 inches either side. If I get it wrong I hit £20K cars for sure probably several. I'm not looking for praise but I work with some fantasic guys and 2 girls to deliver what makes this website tick...cars!!

One thing for sure the UK HGV/LGV driving test which is in TWO parts is very hard. I suggest everyone try's it and makes up their own view based on ACTUALLY doing the test in the first place.

Have a happy a safe Christmas
Funnily enough, Transporter drivers and Tanker drivers seem to be the best of the "knight's of the road"

And I am going to do a HGV class 1 course and take the test in the next two years. Its something I have always fancied doing. If I can do it anyone can.
------
< Ulla>
Funnily enough Transporter drivers and Tanker drivers seem to be the best of the "knight's
of the road"
And I am going to do a HGV class 1 course and take the test

Good luck with the test.

As to the above truckers, not all i have to say, but half the reason is transporters are some of the most unstable vehicles on the road, and tankers by their very nature carry some dodgy gear.

Apart from that generally both are at the top of the earnings for the industry so should take more care, hopefully some of its professional pride.

As we've discussed good and bad in all walks of life.
Funnily enough Transporter drivers and Tanker drivers seem to be the best of the "knight's
of the road"

Oil tanker drivers seem to spend too much time in hedges and fields here in North Devon. Yes, you know who you are co's a few of you drive like complete fools. Worst still are the Milk tanker collection drivers who I believe I have commented on before. Job and finish doesn't work. You are selfish, dangerous and to cap it all, the police actually agree.

MD
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - R75
And I am going to do a HGV class 1 course and take the test
>> < Ulla>

Now this I would pay money to see :o)

And if anyone had asked earlier I could have told you who the OP was after her first post!!!!!!
I can have blue gay lights in the cab too....
------
< Ulla>
I can have blue gay lights in the cab too....
------
< Ulla>

Just take the ones out of your car, you can't drive 2 vehicles at the same time can you?
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Glaston Fred
I can't let this whine pass without response. The idea that HGV drivers are on the whole professionals is utter rubbish. I live in a part of the country without motorways and relies on single carriageway trunk roads. On these single carriageway roads HGVs are legally limited to 40mph. The ONLY HGVs you see obeying this limit are those from Tescos. Every other one is travelling at speeds in excess of 50mph with the vast majority at 56mph, which is their physical limited speed. In other words these so called professionals are driving their 40ton vehicles as fast as they will physically go with no regard to either the law governing them or the safety of other road users unfortunate enough to be using the roads with them. There is more to consider with fast moving HGVs than their stopping distance. At excessive speed these vehicles displace a huge amount of air turbulence which can be downright dangerous to other smaller road users, particularly vulnerable ones such as pedestrians and cyclists. In wet weather the speeding HGV throws up masses of spray as well. I accept there will always be some turbulence and spray where these vehicles are concerned but it would be much less of an issue if they weren't speeding to the magnitude of 140% of the limit.

My local town contains a significant amount of manufacturing industry and this, obviously, brings with it a large amount of HGV traffic. The roundabouts in the town are 2 lane affairs which like all towns snarl up with traffic during rush hours. The 'professional' HGV drivers, when turning right at these roundabouts, have a choice. They can either accept their vehicle won't fit wholly in the right hand lane of the two and accept the congestion or they can force their way through in such a manner that the tractor unit in is roadway and the trailer up on the landscaped surface of the roundabout reducing it to a churned up muddy mess. I think you can work out what happens in our town and the resultant damage is both an eyesore and leaves the roads covered in mud.

The idea that lorry drivers are on the whole professionals being let down my the tiny minority of rogues is a folly, especially where speeding is concerned.
I accept your criticisms Glaston Fred, its your opinion and i'm pleased you have shared it.

I will give you another perspective to the speeding concerns of yours though.

In my job i have to travel many miles on country A roads very often single carriagway for many miles, probably similar to where you live i daresay.

One road in particular is the road from Worcester to Hereford, its hilly,twisty with only one if my bad memory serves me short section of dual between the two towns.

I know its the law but if an hgv travels down this road at 40mph at say 7 to 8 am, then i assure you it provokes the most frightening overtaking manoeuvers by people trying to get to work, now don't forget hgv 'ers also drive cars and are aware of how frustrating this can be.

If an hgv travels the same road, trying his/her best to maintain normal progress, the drivers stuck behind are not subject to the same understandable desperation to get by at all costs.

It may not be right and it may not be strictly legal, but it makes for a safer journey in some cases.

I fully accept your disgust at the chewing up of the roundabouts, very unprofessional and no excuse.

Any fool can drive down a straight road.

I'll make one small observation, be very wary of an hgv driver who wears his hi vis whilst driving....keep a lookout and see for yourselves.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - hxj
SNIP! see recent reminder about swearing policy.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/12/2007 at 21:37

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Glaston Fred
GordonB: I accept that there are car drivers who will bust a gut (not to mention their cars and their bodies) in an attempt to get past HGVs but I think this happens regardless of the speed of the vehilce to be overtaken. I mentioned the Tesco vehicles obeying the limits round here. It's easy therefore to make observational comparisons between the overtaking manoeuvres where both the 40mph and 56mph HGVs are concerned. To be honest, the scariest moments I've seen involve the 56mph vehicles because the distance, and therefore forward planning reuired is much greater than the average car driver is prepared to undertake.

I'm sorry appear confrontational but a 40ton HGV travelling at 140% of it's legal, road safety oriented limit is more than 'not strictly legal', it's a huge margin and the effects of this extra momentum coming to bear in the event of an accident is catastrophic.
Glaston Fred, like all drivers there are considerate and otherwise in trucks, i probably (as usual) didn't explain as well as i could, i'm not saying that a truck should be going down the road on the limiter regardless of all around.

But over the years i've seen the desperate overtaking when a truck that travels at a maximum 40mph (thats when its not negotiating a bend or even attempting to get some speed up for a forthcoming hill) builds a queue of 20 or more other vehicles behind.

I more meant that a hgv that tries to make more normal progress, running up to say 50 when the conditions are good and at least trying to make some effort to keep moving at a safe comfortable speed, without this rigid 40 or bust syndrome doesn't cause quite the frustration behind.

I quite take on board the greater overtaking time and planning reqd at the higher speed, conversely i find only the more competent drivers actually overtake at the higher speeds, bit of a generalisation but i hope you get my drift.

I'll give you one small tale, on that road i described there was a queue of about 4 or 5 cars behind this truck (could have been anyone) just before a very sharp right hander (about 1 mile before the lights between the 2 towns for those that know), anyway a golf as it turned out was overtaking from the back of the queue, nothing wrong with that as the cars were spaced, however said golf didn't get in behind truck and overtook on the bend.

As the truck driver (bogle eyed by this point) realised the golf was coming through he also could see the headlights (7 am ish last winter) of a very fast moving car reflecting in the hedge coming the other way, and he braked that hard he locked up partially, and the golf just managed to squeeze in before at least 2 people died. Bearing in mind this trucks about 65 ft long so nowhere for a car to go once he's commited.

He had to stop at the lights however, and the truck driver who normally minds his own business got out to explain to the golf driver just how lucky he had been and did he realise etc. The golf driver, a very pleasant looking chap apologised and said he misjudged, which is fair enough, and i hope he learn't a very valuable lesson.

No heroics or anything, just making a silly point that sometimes whether were right or wrong truck drivers (some of us anyway) do try very hard to make sure we can make the roads as safe as possible.

Sorry for boring the pants off everyone.

Ho Ho Ho! - and a merry Christmas to you to!

I spent a wholly unnecessary 20 minutes on Friday behind a lorry doing the 'Let me block the outside lane coming up to a lane restriction' joke. Problem was there were signs saying lane restriction - but guess what - when we got there the roadworks had been removed for Christmas.

Demonstrates the complete lack of professionalism amongst lorry drivers in my view.

Oh and the reason for the rush - I was taking my daughter to A&E with a dislocated patella, one that she had attempted to self reduce, but it had not worked for some reason.

Am I happy - no - am I still steaming with the extra pain (you should try a dislocation) my daughter was deliberately put through - not by a long chalk.

Do I think that any one with any ability does another job - absolutely.

Perhaps directing some anger at the Local Highways Agency might be a good thing. They leave signs up constantly that we're all supposed to obey, only to find the restriction is no longer there which in turn, means most drivers disregard them 70% of the time.

Sad to see this thread turning back into an 'Us and Them' thing again.

Pat
I've said this before I am sure, but hey. We run an ageing 850 Volvo GLT as a spare works 'van' When it is in use it is given quite a hard time speed wise where permissible. We live rurally with quite a lot of uncluttered roads. The computer which I regard to be accurate returns an average speed of 24 MPH., but still I have to get into think mode to just trundle along, it doesn't come naturally. In most situations speed gets you nowhere very fast.

Have a great day all. Not too much Turkey and Pop eh!

Xmas regards.................MD
Don't worry I will write to the local highways authority asking them to kindly remove all those road signs saying 'Will a Lorry Driver Please Block the Outside Lane of Two To Ensure Traffic Chaos".

:-)

My original post was much more temperate, but got deleted by an over zealous moderator for containing a couple of '**', so lorry drivers got it in the neck for both offences!

Merry Christmas to you all even the Mods and lorry drivers ;-)

Edited by hxj on 25/12/2007 at 15:50

>>Sad to see this thread turning back into an 'Us and Them' thing again.

ROFL

Beginning a thread with a post containing a number of antagonistic points beginning "You", and then going on to describe "We" in glowing terms; what on earth did you expect?

It seems like an ideal example of cause and effect to me.

Number_Cruncher

Oh Dear, looks like Santa forgot to call and the sprit of Christmas is long gone!

Open warfare starts again then, but remember it's a weak defence that has to be based on attack.
Incidentally, no-one has yet explained the answer to my original question?

Do I take it that none of you ever do this then, or is it just that you don't know why you do it?

Personally I think it ranks a long the other things that for car drivers, are a right, like overtaking a lorry on the only roundabout in the middle of 10 miles of dual carriageway.

Hovering at the end of a slip road until the lorry finds a gap and moves over to let you out and then driving alonside , in the lorry's blind spot matching their speed perfectly.

Driving round the front of our cabs between the kerb when we're reversing off the road and into a tight gateway, instead of waiting 2 minutes.

Taking out a mortgage on the middle lane of a motorway so they are entitled to use it from start of journey to the end regardless of what speed they are doing.

Leaving rear fog lights on for the whole of the winter to save wearing the switch out.

Braking for speed cameras despite doing 10 MPH less than the speed limit.

Yes, the list is endless, but fortunately it's only an odd few of you who do this, just as it's a few lorry drivers who annoy a few of you, but you always remember the bad ones, don't you?

My original post was meant to raise awareness of the road conditions prevailing during this last week, and the added risk this particular practice puts you in.

I don't want your death on my conscience, and that is what it can amount to, so please remember, you're not invincible and neither are we perfect.

Pat
In my ('umble) opinion every driver should spend a year on a motorbike. It would teach people a lot about the driving environment including myopic drivers in iPOD world and fuel spilling truck and bus drivers and then maybe everyone would have a little bit of sympathy for each others different needs on the road.
looks like we're all in agreement then.........those things annoy me too

the only thing i'd add though, is that many cars drivers don't know what they're doing,because they're not required to be trained to a particularly high standard... which is why they annoy lorry drivers and sometimes kill bikers

however, most lorry drivers ought to know how to do it properly...but...a significant minority choose to ignore this....which is why i think those lorry drivers that do things properly ought to be applying peer pressure to those that don't

have a Good Christmas.....:-)

Yes thats the point you see. Us car drivers, are for the most part, not professional drivers, trained and tested to a high standard. Its not our job, our trade.

Lorry Drivers however are. Which makes the fact that a significant proportion of them drive like pigs, indefensible.
------
< Ulla>
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Avant
Of course there are bad drivers of both cars and lorries - but I can only say that in the course of a highish annual mileage I very rarely see a really bad example of lorry driving, whereas I see several idiotically-driven cars every day.

The overtaking on 2-lane dual carriageways (particularly the A34 over the Berkshire Downs) is infuriating, but in fairness some of the drivers are slaves to some little pen-pusher at their office who is logging their every move and penalising them if they are late by even a few minutes.

Going back to Pat's original request, I'm not into New Year resolutions but I do think I, and all of us, should make a conscious effort to think about when to pull into the left lane when leaving a motorway (if we're not in it already). So easy, isn't it, just to overtake one more lorry, just in case he (or she!) is coming off too and might be in front of us on the road we're taking. But they really can't slow down as quickly as we can. So many accidents are caused by sudden braking - far more, I'm sure, than by sudden acceleration.

Edited by Avant on 25/12/2007 at 19:49

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - henry k
>>But they really can't slow down as quickly as we can.
>>
I try to help the big boys whenever I can but my one plea to quite a few of them is "Get off my back bumper !" because if you do not then I will be inclined to go SLOWER to increase my braking distance in the hope that it matches yours.

It must be accepted that a large proportion of car drivers have very little understanding of anything involved with motor vehicles and have a pretty low skill level so if I was a HGV driver I would treat the majority as suspect and expect the unexpected.
I do find it most useful to hear the HGV "view" of things as I have never been in an HGV.

We all want to arrive alive.
I think there are a couple of points that need some further detail. I have a bit of an Interest here as a Partner in a Vehcle logistics co and I drive probably about two days per month possibly a little more to cover sickness.

I accept that their view that HGV drivers standard's of driving have lowered bit I think most people would agree so have normal car drivers. "

We" carry out driver assesments in our comapany not because it lowers the insurance cost (it does significantly) but also because many of our clients demand it after all they can easily have £350K worth of cars on a transporter and the general public won't stand for "oh you car is going to be another 6 weeks because the transporter driver decided to be a prat"

One of the biggest problems is trying to find experience drivers who are prepared be a way for 5 nights at a time. There are still many people looking for work who have had no experience and will take any job often from a agency. They are then expected to get to work straight away after all the transport co is probably paying £20 plus an hour for them to read the manual!!

So faced with this many operators Firstly look to places like Poland, Latvia, etc the biggest problem isn't the lingo but false documents etc or no easy way to take up references etc.

I would make a significant bet that probably 1 in 100 trucks or cars are driven by people with no right to drive them. This is OUR biggest problem collectively not some pointless arguement.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - PhilW
It's a great pity that this thread has descended (in places) to slagging off of car drivers and truck drivers.
The people who contribute to the pda (PDA?) website are professional drivers who (mainly) take a great pride in their driving skills and are helpful and considerate to other road users. They also rightly promote the best practices of their job.(I have occasionally visited the site for some really good info on road conditions on the continent).
The people who contribute to HJ site are (mainly) car owners/drivers who (mainly) take a pride in their cars/driving skills and are considerate to other road users and also promote best practices in car driving.
Somewhere else are those who couldn't care less about trucks/cars/driving skills/others on the road. What we see (PDA contributors and HJ contributors) is that the majority(?) of truck drivers and car drivers are selfish/unskillled/careless/downright dangerous/objectionable etc.
The problem is that those that deserve slagging off are generally not those who populate "our" sites because they have no interest in these sites - they have no real interest in skilful driving and no wish to learn from others. Hence, by "slagging off" on this site, we are generally "slagging off" those who least deserve it.
So, since I am now full of Christmas food, and a (too) large quantity of Christmas cheer (very nice glass or two of Piper-Heidsieck champagne, a bottle of even nicer Anjou wine and a few glasses of lovely smooth port) can I propose a final toast to those drivers (truck and car) of the 2 websites who obviously strive to maintain the best driving standards of which they are capable, and wish you all a very happy 2008 and safe driving.
Hope my excess imbibing has allowed me to say what I meant to say!!

--
Phil
One of the biggest problems is trying to find experience drivers who are prepared be
a way for 5 nights at a time.
So faced with this many operators Firstly look to places like Poland Latvia etc the
biggest problem isn't the lingo but false documents etc or no easy way to take
up references etc.
I would make a significant bet that probably 1 in 100 trucks or cars are
driven by people with no right to drive them. This is OUR biggest problem

You raise some interesting points here Paul, and its going to get more difficult for you as time goes by, from your post your obviously trying to do it the right professional way, and more power to the elbow.

You are trying to no doubt pick from a dwindling supply of hgv drivers making the changeover to operating car transporters, and you want them to be away all week into the bargain...i wish you all the best of British in that search.

For one when did my stint training transporter drivers i'd estimate that 1 in 20 would make a good tranny!? driver (nothing against their road capabilities but we know thats only 10% of the job) and that was when many lorry drivers had generally been through the mill (ropes and sheets, old trucks no power steering in other words the old way) unlike nowadays, sometimes a weeks training on a vehicle that almost drives itself and hey presto a qualified lgv professional....not.

Luckily (for me) skilled staff in our industry are still at a premium, if anything becoming more scarse, youve only got to look at the general age group of us (past the sell by dates many of us).

If your going down the route of employing staff from the former Eastern Bloc, i hope your ins. co. is more understanding than some in the general haulage industry who load the premiums accordingly (can you blame them). Can't really say too much more on that subject in the current climate.

Surely nobody in their right mind would stick an unskilled agency driver in a car transporter, the mind boggles.

And i believe your estimate of unlicensed drivers is probably quite conservative.

But the official powers don't seem to be particularly bothered and continue to clamp down on properly run British companies who are already operating legally and professionally, meanwhile the problems get worse.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/12/2007 at 01:00

Some nice posts there!

Good to see some of you seeing it exactly as it is.

There is so little training in both of our fields other than the chance to 'pass a test'.
Car drivers are then immediately allowed on a motorway with no experience of the speed at which things happen.
Lorry drivers are allowed immediately to go out with 44 tonnes gross weight pushing them down hill at hair raising speeds, and get a sharp lesson in braking safely. Both instances are potentially disastrous but we can never get anything done to change it.
I'm away from home, sleeping in the lorry (currently The Penthouse Suite Mk 2! ) from Monday to Friday now for the last 20 odd years and it's a way of life but true, new drivers rightly want a home life and to see their families grow up.
Bear in mind that they have just paid around £2000 for that weeks training and test out of their own pockets, they tend to feel that they are entitled to some of the best jobs around, even though they have no experience of the real lorry driving world and the hazards it brings.
I was interviewed on air recently and asked who, in my opinion, was the worst drivers on the road, the ones who all lorry drivers fear?

My answer, the Mum in her 4X4 on the school run!

Of course, another reason that lorry drivers are being made and not born, is that sons and daughters are no longer allowed to go out with their Dads in the school holidays and learn the job from scratch.
Health & Safety and Insurance Companies have a lot to answer for.

Pat
there is one thing i think car drivers and light goods vehicles could do on fast roads to help lorry drivers

get a move on

whilst i'd agree that in theory you can choose any speed you like (within reason) as it's your prerogative...if a heavy is restricted to 56mph, why not drive at 60mph. The difference in fuel consumption between 50mph and 60mph or 55mph and 60mph isn't going to be enormous is it..and you'd be doing others a favour
I don`t think its fair on Trucks to be in the second lane creeping past with only a 4MPH speed difference. It means being in any blind spot for too long too.

If I`m in the second lane I prefer to be passing them at 65/70 MPH, that also gives the speed that allows an easy instant move into the outer lane to let a truck pull out to overtake.

*Matching* the speed of trucks in the inner lane should be no problem at all for them surely? and IMHO safer for them than having cars and other light vehicle weaving around them.

Having said that, trucks are weaving around each other with no significant speed differential........;)

Edited by oilrag on 26/12/2007 at 13:23

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Harleyman
To Paul 1;

I would suggest that one of the reasons why drivers are so reluctant to do nights away on transporter work, is that they're often stuck, by default of the transporter's design, with cramped and inadequate sleeping/living conditions by today's standards.

I would suggest that one of the reasons why drivers are so reluctant to do
nights away on transporter work is that they're often stuck by default of the transporter's
design with cramped and inadequate sleeping/living conditions by today's standard

You make a very valid point there Harleyman, but those days of the driver being part of the machine are over (at least for me and many like me), and we do have lives and loves.

Some employers are stuck with the notion that giving a driver an 'extra extra super space topline with a bit more extra on top' somehow makes him/her want to spend their life as a glorified tramp.

Generally logistics don't have to be like that except for the extremely long hauls, and very often they can be 'trunked' quite well.

If operators want staff to give up all semblance of a normal life, then i'm afraid there's only one way to do it, and thats by supplying lots of dosh.

Most transporter drivers don't really want the extreme responsibility and hard work (really is you know) of the loading and tie down skills needed to do the job competently, apart from the weathers they are out in all the time, funnily enough speople stop telling tranny!? drivers what a good job they have between November and April.
It really is only the lolly.

Sorry if this sounds like a whine, it isn't i'm just giving the other side of the coin.

Oilrag, i understand your point, and personally, i don't bother overtaking unless its really worth it, i am embarassed by many hgv'ers these days.

I maintain that the bunching and associated problems have been caused by the compulsory (mainly only British trucks even though its EEC law, no change there then) fitment of speed limiters, i just hope the nanny state doesn't do the same to all other vehicles in due course, but i reckon its only a matter of time.

You'll be glad to know thats my last post on this thread (sighs of relief all round).

Regards All.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/12/2007 at 14:41

Harleyman and Gordonbennet make valid and interesting points. We still get calls for jobs and have a list of reserves although I have'nt lost anyone in 7 months - like many though I go on reccomendation more than anything. The space issue is true but our standard wagon is Volvo FM with a high roof cab a good bit of kit.

What we try to do is fit in with peoples work patterns; in away the working time directive has made us do this but we realised this as well which makes people more motivated and respected and I think our damage rates are the lowest!!.

My biggest worry is the car market at present as we have had a good year in terms of workload but if we do hit a bad patch it scare the hell out of me. Luckily unlike the very big boys we aren't at the beck and call of new car makers we do some work but it is because we try to be active in all markets ie import centre to retail, nearly new and rental and export (new and old) plus we do vans and conversions as well.

"Oilrag, i understand your point, and personally, i don't bother overtaking unless its really worth it, i am embarassed by many hgv'ers these days."

Thanks, Gordonbennet, Pity more drivers (of all kinds) are not as well balanced as you sound ;)

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Snakey
Lorry drivers are just drivers - prone to the same failings (and good points!) as anyone else.

I'm not sure that driving for a living deserves any more respect on the road - everyone is going somewhere that is important (at least to them!) EVen the local authorities seem to think that 'professional drivers' such as taxi drivers deserve to use bus lanes etc, as if their passenger was more important than the person in the queue.

Basically we're all the same, trying to get from A to B to support our families - a truck driver annoyed the hell out of me a few weeks ago (see my post), but its not the truck or the profession thats the problem - its just life on the roads.

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - scaniadriver
I passed my HGV many years ago whilst serving with the Royal Air Force. I believe I had the best training available, and gained experience driving a huge range of vehicles across the UK,Germany and the Middle East. I think part of todays problem is that many professional drivers dont gain enough experience on different traffic conditions and road types. Trunking backwards and forwards day in day out between the same distribution centres is not challenging or rewarding in my view.

A big part of the problem is the rise of the driving agency who have really lowered standards in the last few years. Own fleet drivers really were much more professional and took pride in their vehicle and driving abilities. Today there are so many cowboy fly by night agencies who it seems will employ just about anybody. So many times I see fellow drivers throwing trucks around as if they were driving a transit van, Its no wonder the old image of the HGV driver as a "knight of the road is shot to pieces"

Fair play to Paul for treating his drivers like human beings and not just an exploitable resource, You are dying breed.

Edited by scaniadriver on 26/12/2007 at 20:25

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - ForumNeedsModerating
Perhaps those professional drivers should realise that the word 'professional' should encompass the ability to overcome & anticipate bad driving by others. Although I'm an 'amateur' driver, I have driven vehicles for money, that's bikes, cars & buses. My experience on the roads today is that 'professional' drivers often use the size of their vehicle and/or their skill & experience to take advantage of the not so (relatively) skilled or experienced private or passenger vehicles.

If it wasn't for an active & influential road hauliers lobby much more investment would have been made in rail transport or other alternatives, which would result many of those oversized & dynamically inadequte moving road blocks being removed from our roads. Road hauliers & HGV drivers should realise they only exist in such numbers because compliant, complacent & complicit governments over the past 50 years or so have allowed the nonsense of mass road haulage & the withering of the national rail freight network to happen. For members of that fraternity to now complain that they can't maintain their unfeasible schedules & profit margins due to the 'interference' of private vehicles is arch in the extreme.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - daveyjp
I appreciate that wagons are a part of life and if all HGV drivers went on strike tomorrow we would all starve by the weekend, but it was absolute bliss on Christmas Day and Boxing Day travelling on the M1.

Stick cruise on and travel in the inside lane with the occasional trip into the middle lane to overtake, even the middle lane owners club seemed to be having a day off. I was disappointed I only had to do 40 miles! Total number of wagons passed was 2 on Boxing Day.

Beginning a thread with a post containing a number of antagonistic points beginning "You" and
then going on to describe "We" in glowing terms; what on earth did you expect?
It seems like an ideal example of cause and effect to me.
Number_Cruncher

I am glad I am not the only one who thought this!!!

But then Pat is well known for having her own agendas and being somewhat hypocritical!! Quite why any of you are giving her precious minutes of your life responding to her drivel is beyond me!!!!!

But then that might be because I am aware of her from elsewhere and so do not normally waste my effort and time typing responses (this post excepted)!!!!!
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - David Horn
I have no quibble with the general standard of driving of HGVs in the UK, and recognise that the drivers have a tough and often unappreciated job.

Only thing I'd ask is that if you're going to pull out and I'm passing you, flicking the indicator on when I'm half way along your bulk tends to frighten me 'cos I don't know if you've seen me and are announcing your intentions to the car behind, or haven't seen me and are about to squish me.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - NARU
I drive a well-above average annual mileage, and see many examples of poor driving.

Very few from HGVs - indeed, in the last week I saw an HGV driver placed in a crazy situation by a car driver cutting across at the last moment for his junction - I was genuinely amazed at how he managed to avoid an accident and rang his transport mgr with the reg no. to pass on my compliments.

I think it should be mandatory for all car drivers to have some follow-up training every few years after passing their tests - updates on new traffic laws, helping them eliminate bad habits, etc. This could include going out on a moped or having a ride in the (passenger) seat of a truck. There is so much we could do to improve driving in this country, instead of purely being obsessed with speed.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - movilogo
drivers have a tough and often unappreciated job

Aren't they highly paid?
Aren't they highly paid?

One assumes that was tongue in cheek!!! If not, just take a look on the job ctr web site for an idea of pay!!!!!!

Many are on just above minimum wage, up to about £10ish per hour, if you are on a day job with 8 hrs a day such as Builders merchants work then pay is generally very poor, the guys who "tramp" (spend all week in the cab, sleeping in layby's etc) make their wages up by doing 60-70 hour weeks and getting "night out money" which is between £15-20 per night tax free.

There are some well paid jobs around, but they are either few and far between or they are for unsociable hours or the job is carp!!!!
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - bzjim
I am confused..you are (mostly)all being negative in your replies to PDA, pointing out failings, yet this driver has come into your domain trying to be constructive, offering you the opportunity to help her understand why you would want to risk your lives pulling in so close in front of trucks that they would have no chance of stopping should something happen, This is a truck driver who is worried for your welfare, not being condescending as some of you are, but looking for solutions..

I think looking at the mentality of some of you the best solution would be for trucks to pull out to the next lane well before junctions then when you pull in it will be to an empty lane..but I am sure none of you would like that..

I have an idea!

Instead of pointing out every ones failures how about thinking of the best way to stop one of these big trucks killing some fool who thinks it's not a problem to suddenly pull in front of them ..and then slam on their brakes to make the exit

I don't expect much in the way of constructive replies.

feel free to criticize AFTER you answer the question at the start of the thread

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/12/2007 at 00:38

An Open Letter To Car Drivers - bell boy
pda you are wasting your time
until someone has driven something bigger than a loaded transit they dont care
until someone has been cut up while driving something like a loaded transit they dont understand
yes there are cowboy truckers like anything else but i drive anything and everything and as you know you just have to scream and shout in your cab because if you get out and confront the muppets on a daily basis you are either going to end up killing one ,being killed ,or,going insane from the hassle
10/4 and have a nice trip
Hmm another one of the PDA crowd!!!

Why did Pat bother starting a thread on a forum that is not totally anti truck, only a few of the posters are like that here, but many more understand and respect the extra size of a truck - maybe if her post was more constructive and less combative it would have received better replies, but then that has never really been her way has it!
>>feel free to criticize AFTER you answer the question at the start of the thread

Doesn't it really answer the question, that you have to ask a question that implies these HGVs can't operate (in the dynamic sense) on ordinairy roads?

Why should such dynamically incapable 40+ ton vehicles be allowed on the roads?

We have a perfectly good invention called 'railways' - the only reason such monstrosities are allowed is because the powerful & persistent road haulage lobby has pushed for the gross weight limits to be increased to such an extent that these vehicles are totally out of sync with modern road conditions & ambient traffic dynamics. The fact that they seem to require special treatment from other road users suggests a case of QED.

Edited by woodbines on 31/12/2007 at 00:46

woodbines by your handle i assumed you were over 50 and understood the beecham plan
i now realise you have neither had a woodbine (nasty foul things because the tobacco was so loosely mixed in the paper, or seen that the infrastructure of this country was ruined by beeching in the mid 1960"s at the governments bequest)
ps.ive just returned from a country now in the eu that understands these problems and travelled its breadth for less than a £5
Luxembourg? :-)
no ;-)
have another
free try
on me :-)

i will give you a clue the border checks have been shut down but three miles into the next country we had police with guns cameras and no smiles :-(

Edited by bell boy on 31/12/2007 at 01:05

Beeching cut mostly, branch lines & unprofitable commuter/local services, but also some inter city & town stations/routes. The trunk routes were largely unaffected - those same trunk routes are now where the motorways carry the modern equivalent 'road trains' or 44 tonners . Road haulage interests rely on the effective subsidy of private motorists in paying for their 'track' & the supine govt. response to road hauliers demands for & commissioning of, ever larger vehicles.

Once haulage became 'uncoupled' from the British Rail network in the mid to late 70's (haulage from & to rail depots by smaller trucks) it paved the way for the chaos, overcrowding & inefficiency of having oversized vehicles doing the jobs of both.

Large pantechnicons will probably be consigned to history in the next 15-20 years as cheap oil becomes a thing of the past, and not too soon either!

Woodbines cigarettes could be relied on to draw well & were available in 5's - prerequisites for a young smoker!

Edited by woodbines on 31/12/2007 at 01:35

Well, 96 replies and still no-one has answered the original question.
Even TU, who 'knows me from elsewhere' and is usually far more articulate, has failed to come up with an answer!!

In view of this I'll throw my theory in and see what reaction it gets, and it should throw a bit of light on why I chose to post on this forum about this subject in the first place.
I've been reading these forums now for some years and have grown to respect the views most of you have on a variety of subjects. I had most of you down as highly intelligent, well educated and in the most part, Professsional car drivers, and I thought this would be my best chance of getting some constructive replies.

I think most of you are capable of realising that in any queue of traffic a lorry will never be able to accelerate away as fast as the car in front of him in a stop start situation.
That means there will always be a gap big enough for a car driver to nip into sooner than joining the back of the queue 2 miles back.
The car driver is right, and does 'nip in whilst braking' but behind him the lorry is accelerating with the gusto needed to get 44 tones on the move again.

Can you see the problem now?

Is your journey more important than those other people in the queue 2 miles back, who have chosen to be polite and considerate and safe?
Is that the action of a professional car driver who takes pride in his standard of driving?

You all tend to forget that we're all car drivers too, and on Saturday we had to travel from Cambs to Kent on the M11.
We'd just remarked at how well the motorway runs when there are hardly any lorries on it, and marvelled at the fact that we were able to do 75MPH in the inside lane on the 2 lane stretch. ( We also remarked that we could understand you hating us for spoiling this!)
Suddenly it all came to a halt, and 45 minutes later we reached the problem.
3 cars in a shunt in the outside lane, caused completely by the low, late afternoon sun, making brake lights almost impossible to see.
Now how exasperating is that for 2 lorry drivers who simply DON'T want to sit on the M11 when they're not at work?

In 2008 the PDA will be working more and more at awareness between different road users and general driver safety.
We're working hard ( voluntarily in our spare time) at compiling a leaflet to hand out at shows and make available in other places, to car drivers about blind spots, and the classic things that cause accidents.
We're not pointing the finger of blame anywhere, just trying to raise awareness of what should be taught in any vehicle test and training.
Wherever possible we try and get the general public into a lorry to demonstrate some of these points, but sadly with insurance companies not allowing passengers it's getting harder and harder for us to be able to offer a 'day out riding shotgun'.
We need to do our research somewhere, and I pretty much had you lot down as a good bunch of drivers, who could answer some questions fairly and squarely.

It seems this isn't so.

Pat
A mate of mine sadly no longer with us once said, "As a lorry driver the light are always against you."

VBR MD
OK PDA here is an answer to your orginal questions.

>Is your journey really that important?
yes - just as important as yours. People are using the motorway to get sales that keeps you in a job. Without them you are trucking nothing nowhere and you are down the dole office.

>Is your life really so unimportant?
My life is very important, however some truck drivers seem to consider it worthless judged by the number that decide to pull out in front of me on a dual carriageway when I am inches away from reaching the rear tailboard, or the ones that want to occupy the bit of road I am on by driving inches from my rear bumper*

>Is your consideration and regard for every other road user so low?
Its as high as any other road user, certainly as high as certain truckers.

Now dont get me wrong, I am not anti truck. I appreciate how much roadspace they need, I appreciate they cant always see you, In fact sometimes that car behind preventing other cars from taking your turning space is me.

However, A drive along the A14 from the A1 to the M6 will provide any anti trucker with a wealth of hate material. Streams of trucks pushing cars out of the way to get into the outside lane, so they can overtake a truck 1/2 mile away thats doing 1mph less.

Is YOUR journey really that important PDH that you need to drive like that?
*is YOUR life so unimportant that you will drive two feet behind the truck in front, just so you can keep up momentum and save 5mpg?

When you can convince SOME of your fellow truckers NOT to bully and intimidate other road users then ALL you truckers will get respect

Till then you get the respect you deserve, which at the moment aint much.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - OldSock
AE- don't forget the A14 t'other way from Huntingdon to Cambridge..... :-)

I think that many car drivers could do better in thinking 'with' other road users, rather than ploughing on blithely with their minds in neutral. A particular example often seen is of a car keeping pace on the outside of a lorry on a busy dual carriageway (like the aforementioned A14). Car and lorry are doing about 56mph, but lorry is catching up pretty quickly on a slower vehicle in its lane. A moment's consideration could see the car driver backing off ever so slightly to open up a gap into which the lorry could slip - but oh, no, the car driver resolutely keeps pace with the lorry. So what happens? Either the lorry driver uses 'force' and pulls out anyway, causing danger and ill-feeling all round, panic 'concertina wave' braking etc. Or the lorry has to brake - again usually causing knock-on braking and standstill traffic behind.

At peak commuting times, average speed is pretty much the same for all vehicles on the road, so allowing lorries in front doesn't really affect journey time significantly.
Oh dear, i wasn't going to be drawn on this anymore.

pda, you are being confrontational on a forum that by and large is used by a complete bunch of crackpots, sorry a bunch of generally decent road users of the common sense head variety, thats not to say the start of this sentence was far from the truth.

I believe you are taking this problem far too seriously and would probably get a much better (maybe not for you) response by going on a forum peopled by some much younger and far more experienced drivers than we will ever be.

I've been i hope a reasonable hgv'er for some 30 and a few (say no more) years, its always been a bit of a battle out there, but i for one am supposed to be the pro (go on have a good chuckle again you blighters) so again i say to you i am very well paid, (and it is my job not just a way of getting about) and it is my responsibility to take account of others failings (as well as my own) and to drive accordingly.

If you find that you can no longer cope then maybe a career change is in order.

Hgv driving if you do it properly is not just another job, its a way of life, sadly not many old school left, as i find every day when some of the most appalling stunts are now pulled by hgv drivers, which presumably some buffoon has let them pass a driving test of some description.

Is that part of the problem, are hgv schools only teaching to pass a test instead of drive a truck competently?

Lets dispel one big myth about this blind spot issue, ie if you are a pro it does not exist.

Modern vehicles are fitted with an array of mirrors on the opposite side to the driver, and every vehicle i have driven i have been able to adjust those mirrors to completely cover the n/s area of my particular truck. Course it helps if you keep them clean, again my job.

This isn't science, just common sense, and the drivers responsibility, not the car drivers responsibiltiy to keep out of the way.

The drivers of left hookers have been getting away with the most dreadful driving in recent years, i'm old enough to remember seeing some of the most careful and considerate driving by the lorries from the old Soviet bloc countries when in Britain, compare them to the cowboys running willy nilly all over the shop now, spinning cars round daily on our motorways, and woe betide anyone who thinks they can judge how a foreign truck will negotiate a roundabout, and they seem to care not a jot.

Bicycles in towns are another thing, it is my responsibility to know at all times what and who is in the area to be swept by my vehicle whenever i move it, are hgv'ers really that bad now that they wouldn't know if a child had walked up to the edge of the path just before they made a left turn, makes me shudder to think there are hgv'ers out there that really don't know whats going on around them.

Should imagine my name will stink on your truckers forum, but we have to admit standards have fallen drastically over the years (same with my typing methinks) and we should be putting our own house in order before criticising others.

Alter Ego and many others have made very valid points, and he is right about many truckers using the vehicle as a weapon to force the issue.

And no i'm not a pedant that travels everywhere at 40mph, they cause as much of a problem as anyone, if we maintain normal progress, and leave decent stopping distances and keep our cool and do our best, then maybe our standing would improve just a little.
Woodbines, I have worked for companies that have tried the rail route for goods - it is just not quick enough for our modern lifestyle. A parcel courier I worked for have had 2 attempts to use it - the 1st was by using 20ft containers and filling them then sending them from London to Glasgow overnight - but quite often the containers got lost on route ending up with up to a 3 month delay until they found them again!!! They then had special trailers made that could be piggybacked on rolling stock, but it was found it was actually quicker by quite a few hours for a driver to leave Glasgow and a driver to Leave London, meet half way and swap trailers then return to their depots - this could be done in about 9-10 hours (the company runs on british domestic hours regulations so can run 10 hours a day), which was far quicker then could be achieved by train.

At present fares are rising as there is not the capacity on the rail network, it is also not easy to increase capacity on rail is it!!! It gets used fo some goods transport, but most of that is non time critical, and it is consumers who are demanding these time criticle goods, so is down to you and I!!

Modern trucks have far better suspension systems and 44ton over 6 axles is better then 38 ton over 5 axles, 7.3 ton per axle as opposed to 7.6 ton per axle - so the weight increase is actually better for the road surface, cuts on lorry miles as more product can be fitted on one truck so is better for the environment. If, and it's a big if, the UK are allowed to run road trains of 2 trailers this would cut the impact of trucks still further - obviously they would be restricted in use.

With the amount of goods carried by road there is not a hope in hells chance that rail will ever become a viable alternative again - it had it's day but times change.
I'm absolutely pro-truck, but I'm definitely not particularly pro-truck driver!

As soon as anyone drives a truck, they must accept its size and its performance limitations, and the behaviour of the traffic around you, and drive the vehicle accordingly. It takes more skill, and more anticipation, and more advanced reading of the road ahead to make good smooth progress in a truck - but, you keep saying how professional you all are, so that shouldn't be a big problem to you.

As I've mentioned in many previous posts, I'm from a background that includes garages and trucks. I've seen examples of really good truck driving, and I've repaired the damage caused by some bad examples!

As given above, for truck drivers to get the respect and co-operation of car drivers, they need to earn it. Bullying tactics and rolling roadblocks while one pig ignorant driver inches past another do absolutely nothing for truck drivers' credibilty.

Arguments appealing to the need to conserve momentum don't win me over either. Never have trucks performed as well as they do now. Going back 25 years or so, 220 BHP and 6 gears were a typical specification for a 30 tonne 8 wheeler - now, I would expect that 350BHP and 12 gears would be considered a poverty spec vehicle at that wieght.

What is the stopping distance of a truck from 30mph?

Number_Cruncher
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - Leif
I have rarely had problems with trucks. In fact it is not uncommon to find truck drivers showing consideration for other drivers. White vans, well that is another matter.

My understanding is that truck drivers are more highly trained than normal drivers, and they realise that the load is heavy and requires care and if they get done for dangerous driving they lose their job. On the other hand, white vans require no special training, and are often driven very badly by rather hot headed people who think they are in a 'hot hatch'.

Edited by Leif on 31/12/2007 at 11:42

NC i accept your points and you are quite right, the mentality of the driver is paramount.

On bhp, had this discussion with my BIL who is transport mgr for international old established haulier, he also had his own fleet in years gone by.

We come up with the rough estimate that to get the same amount of sheer guts (read torque and low revved grunt) from a modern truck you have to have say a 450 to 500bhp to compare to the road performance of a 290 some 20 to 25 years ago.

I suppose its all the emission equipment, but even though they are fine once up to cruising speed, modern trucks are completely gutless at pulling awy from stationary, and trying to overtake say a tractor is a formidable proposition.

The truck i drive now has 420hp, weighs 22 tons empty anything from 35 to 42 tons loaded (depends on the vehicles carried obviously) and has quite good aerodynamics, its fine on the motorway, but pulling away with the automated manual is just pathetic.

Compare to my cummins 14 litre engined 320 from 1984, with if i remember 90% of max torque available at 800 rpm, grossed 38 tons and was better on fuel than my present (more computers than you can shake a stick at) one.

The cummins pulled like a train and would easily maintain 60 mph at under 1000 rpm, it only had 8 gears but in practice you only needed 4th upwards unless very hilly.

The new one is revving its little heart out at 1450 rpm at 55 mph.

Dont know where all this progress is.

I dare say the modern engine stacks up favorably on paper, but on the road they don't hold a candle to the old stuff.

Looking forward to some of your calculations now.

Regards everyone.
Woodbines may be you should speak to a rail freight operator before posting....

The biggest problem with Rail freight is Pasenger trains. Trains of all sorts require trackspace and lots of it sometimes in excess of 20 miles (distance between trains). These pathways as they are known are given out to all operators based on a number of criteria. But the only way to build more space in the system is build new tracks that only trains can use and very often only cetain types. Roads typically are used every one hense they are popular and cheaper to construct.

I don't count my self as a road haulier although I am more than happy to be called one but I own a vehicle logistics company and if my customer wants to to go to a rail head then fine. In fact one of my customers moves huge amoubts of vehicles from Factory to port but rather than use the channel tunnel they load them onto a car carrier and ship then to a UK. The only real reason is cost - because every £ extra will be passed on to the end customer

And so the reason why " demands for & commissioning of ever larger vehicles " is that I can move 12 cars easily and cost effectively if I move only 6 the cost of ruunning the truck is almost identical.

Funnily enough my most profitable work on new cars is collecting from railheads as delivery is ussually within a 75 mile radius and vey often I can get two loads a day out of a wagon on this work. But you need to understand not every car or van fits on a rail wagon.

Lastly some of the rail operators are "commercial" and will turn down work after all there aren't many new cars coming out of Scotland and Wales and they will be looking to fill that train for the return journey!!

Paul l, point(s) taken.

Edited by woodbines on 31/12/2007 at 12:20

I just thought let me give you a typical week for one of my vehicles just to give you some idea of size weight etc

- Volvo FM series with a very clever 12 car capacity or 3-4 large vans. 420 bhp semi auto box and 400 ltr fuel tank. does about 7.5 mpg on a average.

So the week goes something like this

Mon - Kent - Midlands (Load 1 -new cars) Midlands to N west (Load 2 -nearly new cars)

Tue - Liverpool - Southampton (Load 3 - new cars for export) Southampton to Swindon (empty)

Wed - Swindon - Gent (cars for european export Load 4 ) Gent - Calais (empty)

Thurs - Calais - Kent (new cars load 5) Kent - Essex/Herts, Essex (Load 6 - new imports)

Fri - Essex (Load 6 - around SW London) Surrey (Auction House - Load 7 back to yard)

So there you go a week on the road....
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - bzjim
>>feel free to criticize AFTER you answer the question at the start of the thread
Doesn't it really answer the question that you have to ask a question that implies
these HGVs can't operate (in the dynamic sense) on ordinairy roads?
Why should such dynamically incapable 40+ ton vehicles be allowed on the roads?
We have a perfectly good invention called 'railways' - the only reason such monstrosities are
allowed is because the powerful & persistent road haulage lobby has pushed for the gross
weight limits to be increased to such an extent that these vehicles are totally out
of sync with modern road conditions & ambient traffic dynamics. The fact that they seem
to require special treatment from other road users suggests a case of QED.

First of all these "dynamically incapable 40+ ton vehicles " can stop as quickly as an 18 tonne truck, and can stop a lot lot quicker than any truck could when the maximum weight limit was 32 tonnes
as you must be well aware the rail network cannot cope with passengers, yet alone freight, but even if it could cope, I can't see the manager of woolworths nipping down to the local rail head to collect his good, so it needs trucks to move it again so now one load will be carried to the rail head by truck, then carried away from the rail head by truck, that will instantly double the amount of trucks needed to do the job, but it is worse because you don't want big trucks, you want small ones. if you want 18 tonne trucks you will now need 6 trucks and a train to do the job of one truck, 7 1/2 tonne truck, now we are up to 14 trucks and a train to do the job of one 40 tonne truck..need I go on, will you be happy paying all the extra costs, because I won't!! or do you think the tax payer should subsidize freight on rails the same as it does passengers, better we get more cars off the roads into these passenger trains if we are going to use the railways as the infrastructure is already there..then maybe they won't feel the need to occupy other drivers safety zone as the roads will be far less crowded

But to bring it back onto topic, be it a 7 1/2 tonne truck, car , bike or 40 tonne truck, someone cutting into your safety zone in putting themselves in danger but put the onus onto the person they pull in front of..I will say again feel free to criticize AFTER you answer the question at the start of the thread
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - b308
I take it you've never heard of "piggy back" trains, bz?

Stick the trailer on a train in Scotland and transport it by rail to the south of England, then hitch it up again - container traffic works the same way....

I agree with the previous poster - long distance stuff should be on the trains, not roads, safer and cleaner for all of us then...

But as you correctly say that would need an expansion of the rail network, and the Road Lobby who run this country won't allow that, will they!
An Open Letter To Lorry Drivers - storme
thanks for your hard work this year.
thanks for delivering all our stuff to everywhere.
thanks for your dedication to our lives.
thanks for paying so much tax towards our country.
thanks for everything.
An Open Letter To Lorry Drivers - pda
Sarcasm doesn't do you justice!
An Open Letter To Lorry Drivers - storme
i actually wasnt being sarcastic

lorry drivers,,,with their training,,, are the best drivers on the road

An Open Letter To Lorry Drivers - happytorque
Thanks for not blocking both lanes of the A14 by one of you travelling at 56.001mph for a lazy overtake for 10 miles then giving dropping back in behind the lorry that you were trying to get past. Right back where you started...if only you could have made it past....you could have arrived at your destination, perhaps 3 or 4 seconds earlier? Well worth holding up a queue of 100 vehicles im sure?

Thanks for spilling diesel at big roundabouts so that we fall off our motorbikes (this was a problem when I started biking 28 years ago and here we are in 2008 still hurting innocent people in this way) Thanks.

Thanks for driving 3 feet from the vehicle in front as though you have the best stopping distances on the road....when yours are in fact the worst.

Thanks for lots and lots of other stuff too.

The point is; us car drivers are far from perfect.
The same applies to Lorry Drivers .....one or two of them just dont accept that though...thats why we get rants like the one that promted this post.

Most of us are under extreme pressure and none of us are perfect.
An Open Letter To Lorry Drivers - Pugugly {P}

"Thanks for spilling diesel at big roundabout"

Its just not lorries though....buses and cars do it, I was recently following a smug git in a British registered LHD old style Mercedes estate ("hey I am so hip") recently, diesel (probably some eco-mix) was pouring out of the filler cap. You're just as dead skidding on his fuel.

You're just as
dead skidding on his fuel.

Indeed....but this problem has been going on for years.
And people have been killed because of it.
Could be prevented.
A lot more dangerous that someone doing 34mph in a 30 zone, but how often do people get pulled for it I wonder?
OK, correction....i too thought you were being sarcastic, but you werent.

Just for the record....I was being sarcastic.

In my personal opinion, there are plenty of hopeless car drivers out there; I think most of us can call on plenty of examples of terrible car driving.
However to suggest that all lorry drivers are great safe people who never put a foot wrong is just nonsense really.
I personally see far too many crazy incidents to accept that there are no issues with how certain lorry drivers go about their business.
An Open Letter To Lorry Drivers - Pugugly {P}
I'm beginning to doubt the value of the thread. It covers the same ground as the debate running in the pda's thread. Any value in continuing this debate here OP ? or shall we merge them ?
On reflection I think what ive said here is just going over old ground and has all been done before.....feel free to bin all of my posts
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - rcflyer
Just read this, and as an ex- commercial vehicle Engineer, an HGV 1 licence holder, I do agree that HGVs are unfairly blamed for congestion etc. Personally, I have less regard for BMW drivers who all seem to regard the public road as their playground and to prove that they have opted for "arrogance", which seems to be an extra when you buy a Beema. Pretty well everything we buy or need comes by road- why, because the rails cannot carry it, it is more efficient, quicker, and cheaper. So respect the average HGV driver - he (or she) has passed more tests than you have.
rcflyer
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - nick
I get tired of two viewpoints on this forum:

1. All BMW drivers are arrogant. Everyone knows it's only 95% :-)
No seriously (as rubbish comics have to say to indicate they've made a joke), they're no worse or better than anyone else. I think it's just envy that they can afford a nice car.

2. We should somehow be grateful to lorry drivers for doing a job they get paid for. Yes, the country would grind to a halt if they didn't do it, but that's true of power station workers, bin men and even City financiers who earn so much of the UK's income. So well done, you do a job I wouldn't fancy, and if you don't like it, do something else.

Edited by nick on 03/01/2008 at 17:37

>>as an ex- commercial vehicle Engineer

Really? Who did you work for?

Number_Cruncher
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - rcflyer
Leyland Motors--BRS- a Metropolitan Fire Brigade - are you genuinely curious? or am I about to be slagged off?
Just wanted to ask why the OPs entire 10 threads are all about trucks, with a seemingly anti car bias when this is a motoring forum?

I could understand it if there were some balance, with input into, well, motoring, It makes me feel like ceasing to put any effort into any new threads seeing this (OP) rant against car drivers continue to re-surface.

Regards

(Sorry Mods, but its just how I see it)
Oilrag, if you had had any past dealings with Pat (PDA) then you would not have even bothered wasting your time writing your response.

Why do you think I am trying to stay as far away from this thread as possible!!!!!!!

She is well known (more infamous then famous) around trucking forums!!!!
Oilrag, if you have a little browse on the OP's own forum, you may find some interesting reading.

It seems HJ and myself have been singled out for some comment on there, but as usual with this sort of thing, no specific arguments, or anyone else's opinion having any merit.

You are correct using the term balance, and this forum has a fair balance IMO, with thank goodness enough humour to offset the few who take things a bit too seriously.

Pray continue with your poetic and sometimes very comical input.

Its probably my fault for upsetting the OP as i'm not reading from the party hymnsheet.

All the best.
An Open Letter To Car Drivers - drbe
Oilrag if you have a little browse on the OP's own forum you may find
some interesting reading.

Which is the OP's forum? Or have I not been paying attention?
www.pda-uk.org
Ahh, So the OP (PD) is actually their Truck site Admin. LOL

Gordon bennet, Cheers, Its just that the OPs first post seemed like a `spoiler` you know causing friction at Christmas for regular members here (truck and car drivers) who put effort into making HJ forum what it is. Anyway, now I can see why and how points could be considered scored.
Its all a game though..... ;)

Regards ;)
It occurred to me some time ago that this thread was on its last gasp following HJ's statement, however it was allowed to run.

The OP has now e-mailed me asking me to lock it, that is always the ultimate decision maker.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 06/01/2008 at 10:58