Number plate gift, price - paul2007
Hello, like most men, I buy my presents last minute.
Been looking at a number plate for my wifes Ford Fiesta. 55 plate.
Looked at the DVLA site and noticed K155 MET. Total cost £1299, plus plates.

My question is how do I find out how much K15 MET was sold for in order to compare prices, as I like the plate to be an investment as well. If the aforementioned plated sold for 4000 pounds or less, then I may not buy it.

O know I will not get the registration certificate by Christmas but I can give my wife the plates in the mean time.

All all appreciated, and ideas as well.
BTW, personal number plates is a personal thing and I've always wanted one but could never afford the one I like for myself. Thank you.
Number plate gift, price - Armitage Shanks {p}
Apart from my unrepeatable views on personal numberplates I can guess that K15MET sold for a great deal of money as it spells a word, without too much fudging. I think it is an Mid-Eastern word meaning luck, happiness or good fortune.

I suggest that K155MET could lead people to suppose that the driver snogs policeman and I wouldn't risk it!
Number plate gift, price - borasport20
another issue to consider is that unless you have 'contacts', you might have difficulty getting the plates made up in time, as you are going to have difficulty showing ownership of the vehilce

Number plate gift, price - rtj70
I'd take the £1299 and buy something worthwhile for her. That's a lot to waste on a number plate that does not even spell what you'd like it to.

And like borasport20 says, you'll have to know someone dodgey to make the plates up without any documentation showing ownership.
Number plate gift, price - tr7v8
Loads of places will make legitimate plates without docs, I've used www.fancyplates.com several times & they do a very quick delivery. The 944 has had it's second set of plates from them recently. They've both had TiPEC The independent Porsche Enthusiasts Club on the bottom & the Porsche logo to the left.
Did the first set then a couple of month later transferred the plate from the TR7 onto it, so had to do another set! The ones I had for the TR7 these guys could have made but couldn't manage in the very short timescales so I had to pay exhorbitant amounts to Halfords.

Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8 Now sold!
Number plate gift, price - oilrag
Poo 1, Was going for around £30,000 a while back. Not that I could live with personalised plates myself.

Made me wonder about the investment part of it though. I presumed the `killing` had already been made by the seller for the next few years?

Edited by oilrag on 21/12/2007 at 13:04

Thank you all.
The comment re 'kissing' the met/cops put me off.
I have decided against buying that plate and as suggested, will buy something cheaper.
Thanks.
Btw, just out of interest, anyone know the price re Ki5met plate?
re kismet plate price - thanks
Number plate gift, price - ForumNeedsModerating
Re your interest in 'K15 MET' , as mentioned this is a borrowing from Arabic origins generally meaning 'fate' or similar. I would suggest not bothering with it: those that are likely to know what it means won't be impressed, and those likely to be impressed won't know what it means - just think you're something to do with the London police (dept. K15)

Besides that, it's probably owned by a rich oil sheikh!

Number plate gift, price - bell boy
£ 30.48 for a pair of fancyplates delivered,hardly a bargain is it
maybe someone would like to explain to me how they can make legitimate plates without requiring your relevant documents?
The only way i can see that you can get round this is to make the plates outside great britain or have a licence and only supplying your own sales cars and not customers cars,
maybe we need to talk to dave warren of the crime reduction group at the DVLA

I ve gone back to his fancy plates site and guess what the company is based in omagh county tyrone,no in britain then is it
Number plate gift, price - tr7v8
£ 30.48 for a pair of fancyplates delivered hardly a bargain is it

Err apart from the fact that Halfords {I think that's how you meant to have spelt it? - DD} charged me an identical sum for a pair of "legal" plates which as I posted a little while ago were incorrectly made SKM2 52W instead of SKM 252W, I didn't give a monkies because A. they were an SEP & B. the car is going to the IOM & they'll go in the bin within 6 months, but when pointed out to the muppet making them that they were wrong he was having none of it. So much for legal plates then.
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8 Now sold!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/12/2007 at 20:58

Number plate gift, price - bell boy
you should have spoken to the manager or head office tr7v8 as otherwise things like this will never be sorted,i pay £6.95 per pair by the way delivered.
keep getting letters offering an in house number plate making machine at 69 pence a day but to be honest im not into putting my name on my motors,never have been,i have this vision that 6 months down the line the car blows up and the owner thinks mm the numbers on the plate i bought it off so im going to ring him now :-) and give him hell :-o
Number plate gift, price - L'escargot
Looked at the DVLA site and noticed K155 MET. Total cost £1299 plus plates.

newreg.com are offering K155 MET for £5995, with no indication as to whether this includes VAT or whatever!
Number plate gift, price - Brian Tryzers
>...omagh county tyrone...

That's Northern Ireland - still in the UK, so I'd expect the same rules to apply.
Number plate gift, price - mjm
I thought that the show the documents legislation only applied to England and Wales, not Ireland or Scotland.
Number plate gift, price - R75
They just sell them with the wording "For show/Display use only" I got a set from another on-line retailer much cheaper, no hassle having to dig out the V5 etc - all done to UK specs with BS marks etc, would be difficult for the police or VOSA to tell if you ask me - mine are not modified in any way.
Number plate gift, price - rtj70
" have decided against buying that plate and as suggested, will buy something cheaper"

If you could afford £1300 on the plates then really impress her with a present worth £1300 :-) Or did you think this was also an investment? Then buy her some premium bonds.
Thanks all. Got a tv/lcd for the bedroom.
Happy new year!
Number plate gift, price - Reg Boss
Hi Paul,
K15 MET sold at the DVLA auction in 2000 for £5200 hammer price, thats over £6500 in total and that was 8 years ago, if it came up for sale now it would be at least £20k or more. K155 MET is the next best thing and its easy to get the plates made just how you want them1

Regards
Reg Boss
Number plate gift, price - Hamsafar
Kismet means life/existence in many languages Persian origin I think, borrowed by Arabic, Turkish, Urdu, Hindi, Azeri etc...
K15MET will have an inflated price amongst people from these countries, and as such, K155MET is probably worth as much as a corrupt KISMET as a KISS ME T.
Number plate gift, price - scotty
... and it's what many believe Nelson said to Hardy.

Not "Kiss me, Hardy"

but "Kismet, Hardy".

Fate!