What to buy - Budfox
Hi all.

My first post though I've been reading for a while.

I'm looking to replace my ageing but excellent 306 in the new year and would like some guidance as to what car to buy.

Nearly all of my driving is on the motorway, so something quiet and comfortable at 70mph is important. (I normally only do 60 as I'm never in a hurry and like to save the fuel costs)

I need to be able to put my bike in the back. (I cycle the last bit to avoid Bristol parking) It fits in the 306 with the rear seats down and the front wheel still in place. I could remove the front wheel if necessary, as I'll have to do if I go for a Fabia (vRS high on my list)

Reliability is important, though with so much motorway driving I never wear anything out. I don't mind paying for a good extra 2 year warranty (this is a car I'll expect to keep for 3 years, maybe more)

Fuel choice isn't important. I am leaning towards a Fabia or Octavia diesel, but a petrol car would be fine if it returns over 50mpg with my gentle driving.

Depreciation is a factor of course. My 306 cost £5k, it's worth almost nothing now but I've had it for 5 years. £1k/year is perfectly acceptable but I'm not interested in a £10k car that's going to lose £6k in 3 years and 60,000 more miles. If that's unavoidable then I'd be looking at just buying something for £5k again.

I'm not big on gadgets and toys, but I do need aircon. The other thing that the Fabia and Octavia often have is cruise control. That I would like.

My budget is £12k, though I'd rather spend £10k and although I'll almost certainly buy from a main dealer, I don't mind private if I can buy a warranty from the manufacturer. (Is this ever done...?)

No no's? Renault or Citroen and anything with a normal boot.

So there you go.

Cheers
What to buy - b308
If you are prepared to look at the Fabia vRS, try the estate with the 1.9TDi, much bigger boot, not much difference in performance - chip it if you want more.