Failed puncture repair - teabelly
I had a nail in back tyre and it was repaired. The tyre is flat again and still losing pressure. Is it worth risking another repair attempt or is coughing up nearly £500 for 4 replacement tyres (joy of 4 wheel drive!) my only option?

I did drive off quite soon after the repair was done so is it possible the glue just didn't cure properly and a second go would be successful?

The tyres on it are about 3 years old max. I think there is about 5mm of tread at least on each tyre so there is at least 12 months life in them.

My head says buy 4 new tyres but my wallet is saying no way :-)
teabelly
Failed puncture repair - nick
Your head is right I fear.
Failed puncture repair - ForumNeedsModerating
If the repairer (I assume you used a tyre shop?) judged the tyre safe to repair 1st time, one would assume it's safe or appropriate to subsequently re-repair the same patch - especially if you think enthusiasm got before caution initially. That's the judgement call needed.

With a car like that I'd be changing the tyres at 3mm so 'only' 2mm of tread is wasted. Do you really want to be clogging it (as surely you must!) and in the back of your mind the little voice is saying' I wonder if that tyre repair will be ok?'
Failed puncture repair - madf
Would I drive that car with a repaired tyre?
madf
Failed puncture repair - normd2
I'd drive it ok but certainly wouldn't be exploiting its full potential.
I usually change tyres at 4mm of tread if approaching winter. If there is 3mm and it's summer then I'd run them until the September of that year. Tyre repairs are supposed to be as strong as the original tyre but I want someone to test tyres seriously hard before I'd believe that! I wonder if anyone has drift tested tyres that have been repaired?

I suspect it is more likely they have used rubbish tyre sealant as it is going flat much faster than before. Most old alloys are porous and unless you use the thick white gunk sealant they leak. I suppose I could have just picked up another nail.... I didn't really keep a close eye on them when they were doing it.

teabelly
Get out your chequebook then, teabelly. Out of interest, what tyres do you normally fit?
I am mostly using toyo proxies t1-Rs with the reinforced rims now. The skyline has uniroyal rainsports on but I'm going to stick proxies on that as well. The toyos definitely have more 'bite' as I used uniroyals on my lancia then changed them to toyos and they were definitely better.

Credit card has already been flexed and I have just ordered from etyres a they do mobile fitting and free puncture repair :-)
teabelly
Failed puncture repair - Simon
I fear I may be too late but I'll still say it anyway - It may not be the repair that has failed it may be something as simple as the tyre bead not seated properly on the rim. When tyres are refitted this can be a minor problem even with newish tyres and newish wheels. What you need is a proper tyre outfit that has a tank to dunk the wheel/tyre into so they can easily spot where it is still leaking.
Failed puncture repair - bell boy
or a fairy liquid bottle squirted round the rims
you shouldnt use a repaired cold vulcanised tyre for 24 hours after the repair to allow for curing
If you can't use a repaired tyre for 24 hours then it would have been rather tricky to get home after!

The mobile people have some sort of tank thingy they bring to dunk the wheels in so they should have no problem finding the leaks.
teabelly
Failed puncture repair - L'escargot
Was it repaired by removing the tyre from the wheel and fitting a mushroom-shaped plug from the inside? This type of repair is usually reliable.
I'm not sure as I wasn't watching them! I would assume it was as I think that is the only approved way of repairing a tyre. You can see the plug on the surface of the tyre and it looks out of shape. One of the edges sticks up more than the other too.
teabelly
Failed puncture repair - bell boy
i wouldnt want a plug repair if i had a nissan gtr,how many cords were broken in the outer casing?