Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - DanG
Currently looking at a 1994 2.5 diesel auto saloon (cant remember the class, think its a 190, should have taken note!) The vehicle is in mint condition, full leather interior etc, has only done 112K and drives superbly (having taken it for a test drive). Its not that lively, given it is not turbo charged, but it seems to go well. What's your thoughts on this, is there anything I need to look out for, would it be a good solid purchase to see me though a few years? What kind of economy can I expect? The dealer is asking £2,500 although the car does have the full AMG body kit also.

Any comments/advice very welcome.

Dan
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - stunorthants26
Price is a bit steep, id say closer to £1800 tops. Solid car yes. Service history is important, worth paying for esp M-B.
Economy is likely to be mid-30's as these are not especially economical cars despite being diesel.
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - Collos25
Before you buy it check out the insurance if its a genuine factory AMG motor you may be in for a shock.
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - Jase
Apologies for the useless post but is anyone else finding the concept of an AMG bodykit on a non turbo diesel automatic even slightly amusing! Must be a total snail.
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - ForumNeedsModerating
Re the above post - I'm wondering about the ownership history if the AMG bodykit was fitted - as you say, it's an utterly daft concept on a 100bhp-ish diesel. To the OP - look for a standard original (unmolested) car if possible - the 1.8/2.0 litre petrols would seen a better bet - I can't see much advantage in going for a heavy slow diesel with marginal economy advantage.
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - the original horse
i am in the process of rebuilding my 2.5 auto . why ? because some idiot smashed into it, but why rebuild such a old car ? because its a lovely straight unmolested example that does 36 on local journeys [ mpg] and easy 40 on the motorway, i wouldnt consider a petrol especially auto! it rides lovely , is not fast, smooth drive [they set off in 2nd unless you floor them] and is different from the mondeo seen on every street corner, look out for whiny diffs, slight is acceptable, ideally a dam good history, and worn out corner seats .
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - Aprilia
They are not bad motors provided you don't want to go fast. Main problem is finding a good one since most have been run into the ground.
The bodykit will be some aftermarket thing or an OE item sourced from a breakers I expect. Very popular with the Ali G fan club members, so could be a car to be avoided.

Check everything on a car of this age, exp rust in the sills around jack points, the many metal/rubber joints in the rear arms etc etc. Drivers seat bases go, but can be rebuilt.
Yea, I thought the price was a bit high. The dealer is willing to drop to £2,200 but I may be able to push for lower. Whilst the vehicle only has 112K on the clock, it does not have any documented service history, although it appears to have been looked after well and drives ok. What should I do and what price should I aim for. The vehicle comes with 12 month MOT and 6 month tax.

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - Number_Cruncher
For £2500, the car should be good and have good service history (or also be an estate car)

Is this the first one of these that you have looked at? If so, I would suggest that you might find it worthwhile having a look at a few others, to get an idea of the range of what's available, what a good one looks like, and what a bad one is like, what service history you can expect, etc, etc.

There is little that's as expensive as a cheap Mercedes!

Number_Cruncher

Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - Marc
£2500 sounds like a lot. I used to have one of these in 1.8 petrol form, it was a cherished example with FSH. I really liked the car and still regret chopping it in for a Mondeo 3 back in 2001.

I'm surprised there are still nice examples around bearing in mind production ceased in 1993. It took me a while to find a good one back in 1999. The lack of service history and the "AMG" bodykit would put me right off this example. These cars were so well built they hide their mileages very well. I'd hunt out another or look for a newer C Class which should be within budget.

As others have said the diesel is dog slow, but then so was the 1.8 petrol I had! I'd be looking for a 2.0 auto.

This one was registered Dec 1994, I guess this makes it an "M" plate.

I don't like the fact it has no service history either, but if the vehicle is OK (I shall have an independent inspection done I think) I may be prepared to take a risk. As I said, the vehicle seems to have been looked after and the previous MOT slips (going back several years) indicate the millage to be a smooth progression.

I have not looked at any other examples...... Yet.

Dan
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - gordonbennet
I hope it turns out ok for you, i'd be a bit concerned about service history, as these auto boxes do need regular oil changes to keep them healthy, apart from all the usual other suspects.

To be honest for that sought of money you could get a 94/95 W124 300 multivalve diesel.

They do exist i recently sold my E300 95 with 60 odd k for 3 and a bit!

Its not much bigger overall, and has that extra cylinder which turns it into a very smooth engine indeed, and has the facelifted front.

You will find the 3 litre can be a little slow for overtaking at speed, but if you are prepared to floor the throttle they can surprise quite a few.

Not really a lot different to the 190. i'm only saying this as a mate has just picked up a very similar 190 that you describe for £800, i'd be surprised if the dealer can sell it anywhere near that price...good luck with it if you decide to proceed.
Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - Collos25
"For £2500, the car should be good and have good service history (or also be an estate car)"

Wasn't aware there were any 190 estates,but they made a genuine 190d AMG with a 2.5 turbo (Kompressor)engine that went like a bat out of hell thats why I said check the insurance.If its an after market AMG kit take it off and flog it on ebay.

Looking to get an older Merc diesel - any advice? - Number_Cruncher
>>Wasn't aware there were any 190 estates

No, you're right, but as gordonbennet says above, they really are similar cars to W124s. The W124 estates to command a bit of a premium on price.

Being compleely biased, I also agree with gb's view about the multi-valve diesels. We paid £3,000 for ours, with 125,000 on the clock (not that that matters hugely - condition is **much** more important)

Number_Cruncher