SoftRoader 4x4 's - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Which of the 'soft' 4x4's would you recommend for someone with a knee injury?
The requirements are:-
The seat is at chair height, and no climbing up or down to get in or out.
The door aperture is long to allow minmal bending of the knee.
Comfort for 15k miles per year including commutes of up to 1000 miles on a weekly basis, but average of 250 miles per week.
Reliability - This will be a self purchase to last 4+ years
Automatic gears.
No people carriers - we do not need 7 seats, but do need a big boot.
We have looked at the new Honda CRV, and the Mitsi Pinin.
The Isuzu Trooper is too thirsty, and Freelander .... well.. erm not quite right.

Any useful comments or ideas greatly appreciated.
SoftRoader 4x4 's - Cardew
Does it have to be a 4x4?
If not, the easiest car for access is the Toyota Yaris Verso - look at HJ's roadtest on this site.

SoftRoader 4x4 's - Simon (Anne's Other Half)
Sorry, but the verso looks to be too low, and it will have to joust on the motorway and at motorway and A-road speeds more than tootle around town.
We looked at the Honda Jazz, and that was a nice idea, but no auto, seat still too low, and not built for long journeys.
SoftRoader 4x4 's - Richard Hall
Subaru Forester has to be worth a look. Might be hard to find one if you're buying used - owners tend to hang onto Subaru estates until they fall to bits.
Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
SoftRoader 4x4 's - Randolph Lee
How about the M-Benz A class... it sits you up as high as the light SUVs an the LWB version has longer front doors and lots of space... test drive one and if it has any Good Feelings about it hire one from www.Easyrentacar.com for a few days to be sure... then look to pick one of their cars as they come on to the auction market after 9 months use or so

I Hired one for 5 weeks last fall and just loved it and I am a large 6'3" with a bad knee as well... I posted a review when I got back here in the back room but searching for it just know I could not find it... perhaps one of the moderators will have better luck and add it to this post or thread...

the one I had ws a 2002 model with just delivery miles on it when i got it in Sept... I think that Benz has made good progress evolving the A class and much of the bad press the original version had should not tar the current version.
Randolph Lee
Nantucket Island, U.S.A.

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me
A-Class report. - M.M
Randolph,

You only have to ask. Here is a link to your excellent report.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=22...4

Regards,

David W [Moderator]
----------------------------
mailto:david_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
A-Class report. - Dwight Van Driver
Simon

I know that this Forum does not think much of them but if you are in the 6ft height range and a dicky left knee/leg then JUST consider a Landrover Discovery (not Freelander). Test one for access and driving position. Seat at bottom height just slide across onto driving seat from standing and bags of space when seated with no need to have your knees round your ears for driving like many.

No need for 7 seats - try the Commercial version with bags of carrying space in the rear.Rugged diesel engine for your mileage.

Before others start giving this entry some flack - look at the technical entries. How many problems are mentioned with Landrovers (other than about the Freelander from someone from Brazil), can you spot amongst the problematic
Mercs and BMW's etc?

However having said that if you did seriously consider one then get someone who knows about them to go with you to sort the wheat from the chaff.

DVD

Any further comment D.W.?

A-Class report. - Mark (RLBS)
I`ve never been rude about the Discovery. I quite like them, and they do ok in the mountains.

The only negative thing I`ve heard, and to be fair I've heard it a lot, is comments about reliability.

Now, the Freelander on the other hand..................
SoftRoader 4x4 's - Martyn [(ex) BR moderator]
I've got to say the Toyota Rav 4, haven't I?

I have a 96 model, which has proven class-beating reliability (See HJ's comments in the Car-by-Car Breakdown). It's plenty tall enough to get into the seats without needing to bend or squat, and the doorways of the two-door version are good and wide.

I bought it to combine long-journey (UK>Riviera>UK) comfort with the ability to negotiate the farm track to our house, and I've been one hundred per cent satisfied.

The newer model, which came out about 18 or 20 months ago, is much the same, dimension and ride-wise, and it is available with Toyota's great D4D common-rail diesel engine, so your long journeys can be done in comfort and economy.

Give it a try.

Martyn [Back Room moderator]
====================
mailto:webmaster@honestjohn.co.uk
SoftRoader 4x4 's - John S
Avoid the Shogun Pinin. Horrible bouncy ride, and absolutely dreadful for long journeys. Ended up with one as a renter once, when I expected a Mondeo/Vectra. Spent all day and 300 miles cursing the hire company. On return I was greeted with 'what do you think of it?' 'Horrible' said I. 'Yes, no-one here likes them either' I'd hate to do 1000 miles a week in one. No kidding, the '96 Corsa felt like a smooth ride afterwards.

Downside of all of these 4 x 4's as I see it for 15k miles/year is the fuel bill, for no real purpose.
Regards

John S
SoftRoader 4x4 's - John S
HJ

Yes, I didn't try it off-road, but it certainly apeared to have the right bits. More towards the 'proper' off-roader than most.

My comments related entirely to its on-road behavior and I wouldn't recommend anyone did 15k a year in one, which is the scenario posed here. I think you'd agree?

Regards

John S
SoftRoader 4x4 's - Cymro Arall
I unreservedly recommend the Lexus RX300 as meeting all your criteria, save perhaps for thirst (we get 25mpg). So does HJ. It just glides. A favourite in USA.

I compared with the new Honda CRV - suggest you do likewise and test drive both.

If you need to be convinced about unreliability of the Discovery, and the JD Power Survey hasn't done so, see June 2002 edition of Caravan Club magazine, where 138 owners reported. (Obviously a very small sample, but nevertheless enough to fighten.): "... To be blunt, they break. If you're lucky (as were 3 members) you get a replecement, which, if you're unlucky, breaks too..... Consider this: the [Toyota - same family as Lexus] Colorados experienced on average one fault per 222,700 miles travelled. The Disco? One fault every 19,900 miles..." [June 02, page 59].

'Nuff said?

SoftRoader 4x4 's - GDR
Hi Simon,

I have a bad left knee and have driven a Merc auto's for 6 years. But needed to change to a 4X4 with good MPG and comfort as I cover 24K+ a year.
We test drove all the small 4X4's and the X-trail was easily the best for my needs and price range!

I now have a Nissan X-trail 2.2D Sport manual and I'm really pleased. The car is two years old with 28K on the clock and cost £15K.

If I did lower miles I would have got the petrol auto.

I would reco the petrol versions SVE level for three reasons.
1)Electric seats - height adjustment is not easy in the non electrical version.
2)Petrol version is much cheaper to buy and there's plenty available.
3)Equipment level is good but not fanastic in the 2 year sport models.

Good luck in your search
GDR
SoftRoader 4x4 's - Happy Blue!
Hyundai Tucson CRDT Auto CDX - 5 year warranty
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
SoftRoader 4x4 's - Adam {P}
I would hope he's found one by now.
--
Adam
SoftRoader 4x4 's - john deacon
rav4 for me