1995 2.0 16v - hesitating- no power - jgcav
Hello, I have a 1995 M reg Cavalier 2.0i 16v petrol which recently has started hesitating when accelerating or driving at a steady speed. It loses power and nothing happens when you press the accelerator. After a couple of seconds it jerks a bit and clears to drive normally again. It happens randomly when engine is hot or cold and can go a couple of days without trouble. The engine never actually stalls but sometimes idles a bit slow before it plays up. Recently i have replaced spark plugs, leads and coil pack which has made it slighty better but not got rid of the problem. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jaime

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/12/2007 at 21:23

Cavalier hesitating- no power - Pugugly {P}
Can I suggest a possible problem with the air hose ( the "wrinkled" hose that runs from the air-filter housing) to the engine, this splits underneath and lets "too much" air in making the mixture lean. That was given as the reason for the slight hesitation on a 1.8 Cavalier that the Office ran as a hack. No doubt someone who knows more technical stuff will come along with the proper terminology and anothe rpossible cause in a minute.
Cavalier hesitating- no power - topbloke
the gentleman means the pipe (rubber) between the maf (mass air flow) sensor and the throttle body they do split and they look perfectly normal so close inspection is required
Cavalier hesitating- no power - Jono_99
Had a 2.0 16v cavalier for a couple of years, and had just this problem.

Woud suggest that you clean the idle air control valve - its on the throttle body. Its silver and cylindrical in shape. Take it off and give it a clean with carb cleaner, or soak in petrol or the like.

As a short term fix, I used to squirt carb cleaner up the air intake - sction from the air filter towards the engine. I also cleaned the pipes that go onto / off the head - bet that they are pretty clogged up.

Try a forum search on here - loads of advice.

Hopefully this will be a start.

and if you need to read fault codes - try the following...

www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm
Cavalier hesitating- no power - Mapmaker
Does this help at all?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=58...3
Cavalier hesitating- no power - jgcav
Nice one, cheers!!!
Cavalier hesitating- no power - DP
I've also seen these incorrectly fitted so they're "folded under" at the bottom which causes air to leak past the jubilee clip even though it looks correctly fitted. If left like this, the rubber eventually deforms (or splits) and the hose can't be refitted correctly. The size of these jubilee clips makes them tricky to refit, as they constantly try to "skew" as you tighten them up.

On my old Cav SRI mk2, I had this hose detach itself from the MAF when driving. Killed the engine stone dead, as it of course it would. Luckily the jubilee clip stayed on the hose and I had a screwdriver in the car - a 2 minute repair and we were on our way. It was then that I discovered there was no lip on the MAF outlet meaning it was only the pressure of the jubilee clip stopping the hose coming off (and forming a seal). Just something to check while you're there.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX