Attempted theft - nick62
Last night I caught four youths in my garage trying to steal my two motorbikes.

One ran straight away, but I managed to keep the other three in there until for about two minutes until one of them got a bit threatening with a length of 2" steam pipe, so I let them go. The police arrived about 5 minutes later.

The question I want to ask those "in the know" so to speak, is will the insurance company shell-out for a complete lock-set for both bikes? I know its stupid, but I had a key for each bike "hidden" in the garage and these yobs have found these and ran off with them, (even so they still damaged the ignition/steering lock on one bike).

In fact, only one bike has sustained damage to the ignition switch/steering lock, but the tank cap is the same key. The second bike has an ignition switch, tank cap and a tool box all serviced with the same key and they stole the key for this bike too.

I'm mindful that if I make a claim I will only be paid-out for the damaged switch and so it will not be worth-it, but the cost of replacing all the key operated devices will be considerably more.

Help/assistance required please?
Attempted theft - Pugugly {P}
They may well question the level of security at the garage. They may consider the leaving of keys in the garage foolhardy (depending on the type of garage - Integrated/stand alone/rented and apart from your house by some distance.. I'd buy a very very big chain and chain them to something solid.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 10/12/2007 at 20:37

Attempted theft - rtj70
I would certainly look at securing the bikes in the garage but do it properly ...

... A true tale was when a colleague came home and their neighbour asked about their problem with the garage roof. Transpires thieves used a JCB type digger to remove the roof, rip a security post from the ground and then took the bike. And then replaced the roof!
Attempted theft - FotheringtonThomas
will the insurance company shell-out for a complete lock-set for both bikes?

No. You have insured your motor-cycle, not the lock (*unless part of the machine). Under the circumstances, would you, if you were they?

Move your bikes to somewhere else - priority, so that you sleep well, at least.
Buy new locks.
Ensure that your garage is more secure.
Invest in a £40 or so "shed alarm".

Next time, if there is one, bash the b-s, or let them go, while they're still "on the hop", before they have time to "get a bit threatening".
Attempted theft - local yokel
Kango out part of the garage floor (having checked for pipes) and concrete in a couple of eyes. Lock the bikes to the eyes.
Attempted theft - martint123
I'd have though excess + loss of NCD/Increased premium would have been more than a lockset. Have you got a friend/dealer/scrappie that you could do a swap of the locks with?

Edited by martint123 on 11/12/2007 at 10:52

Attempted theft - normd2
it's unlikely that your insurers will entertain a claim - they'll simply argue that the keys were not hidden well enough. I'd go with suggestions above such as changing locks from a breakers and getting a big heavy duty chain - and keep the key for this in your pocket.
Attempted theft - Group B
I claimed for a car lock set, ignition, immobiliser once; I was skint at the time so it seemed my only option. But I later regretted it with the loss of no-claims and increased premiums for years after. If you have protected NCB you may find it worthwhile.
Dont know whether your circumstances will affect the claim - in my situation our house was broken into while we were away and they found the keys hidden in a kitchen drawer.

A mate of mine bought an anchor point thing from a bike shop, it was about 40mm thick square steel bar bent into a loop, that we cast into a big lump of concrete under his shed.

My Dads friend once had his pride and joy bike stolen out of his garage. When he got a new one he said his intention was to rig up a shotgun with a wire on the trigger, attached to the garage door mechanism. Dont think he went ahead with that one though!
Attempted theft - martint123
Almost a shotgun, but seemingly legal. 2nd one down. Brown trouser job for a robber I would hope.

www.bikesecure.co.uk/acatalog/Garage_and_misc__sec...l

Edited by martint123 on 11/12/2007 at 22:00

Attempted theft - truckle
As a veterinary surgeon, I have a lot of unused equipment around the place. My wife is always saying that if she caught anyone breaking in she would make use of my horse emasculators and hang the consequences. I don't think she is joking. These things are clamped across the testicles and crush and sever them at the same time.

I don't know whether I wil be able to intervene in time.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Mike