2004 1.5DCi - Air-con failure - adam.h
Hi everyone,

I've got a 54 reg Renault Clio II 1.5dCi 100 bhp. It's a couple of months past it's warranty and the climate control has died. The c/c computer is still working fine, but there's nothing coming out of the vents.

It's not the fuse, as it failed once, then a few times, then permanently. It's not the heater, as if i leave it on i can feel that there is heat seeping out of the vents (but only passively) and I've tried different vents, power settings, temperatures and with/without air-con.

Searching a few forums suggested a similar problem on RenaultSport Clios might be down to a blocked fan in the overhead console, but I'm told there isn't one on a standard clio. A renault mechanic told me there's a history of rheostat failure on clios, and I've also read that a resistor might be to blame (although that might be the same as the rheostat?).

I'm quite far from my local garage, so struggling to get it booked in. I've bought a Haines manual, but while it's great at walking through a fix, it doesn't help me to diagnose the problem.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks a lot, Adam

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/12/2007 at 12:29

Air-con failure - Screwloose

So are you saying that the heater fan isn't working?
Air-con failure - borasport20
firstly, what screwloose said.

nextly, does it need re-gassing ? It has been suggested that some manufacturers 'underfill' the aircon, so it needs regassing sooner than it should, and until you know the answer to that, it isn't worth swapping or replacing anything.

can you get a mobile a/c engineer to come to you ?

Air-con failure - adam.h
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure what it is that needs fixing. I'm pretty sure it doesn't need re-gassing, as the problem occurs regardless of whether it's using a/c
Air-con failure - Screwloose
adam

Your best move is to take it to any garage and ask their advice. Without even the most basic description of what's not working, it's not going to be possible to even advise, let alone for you to fix.
Air-con failure - elekie&a/c doctor
sounds like the fan speed electronic regulator has failed .It is situated in the engine bay at the rear ,next to the heater fan motor, drivers side.Very easy to replace but the part costs about £90.hth
Air-con failure - oilrag
In the days before CANBUS In did that job for (Rover) approx £3.50 (ten yrs ago) using ballast resistors instead of the manufactures module, which then cost £70 ish.

`no-CAN-do-BUS`, designed to stop the enthusiast from saving money. ;(

Regards