Honestjohn review of EVO VII and VIII - Brian C
I just noticed the text for the Mitsubishi EVO VII and VIII has been revamped. I have to take great issue with a statement made in the 'what to watch out for' section. It is suggested that the VII and VIII may get through engines in 5000 and 10000 miles respectively. I'm afraid there is no evidence for that, I am an EVO owenr and am a member of the Mitsubishi Lancer Register, the primary owners club in the UK for that model and I can assure you, even the hardest driven cars will not get through engines in anything like those low miles. EVO engines are remarkably robust and only when modified heavily would you begin to see engine reliability problems of any significance.

Disappointed that such a poor price of misinformation is being propogated through this site which I normaslly trust implicitly.
Honestjohn review of EVO VII and VIII - perleman
"and only when modified heavily... "

I struggle to understand why anyone would need to modify one of these cars, it's not like you'd get it home from the dealers and think "I remember it being a bit more pokey on the test drive"!
Honestjohn review of EVO VII and VIII - Brian C
Like you, I'm not a 'modder'. The engine does lend itself to some fairly easy upgrades however and people who buy perfromance cars of this ilk often want a bit more power/torque and it develops from a hobby into an obsession. Each to their own, I'm quite happy with the standard 300 HP myself.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/11/2007 at 21:52

Honestjohn review of EVO VII and VIII - MichaelR
"and only when modified heavily... "
I struggle to understand why anyone would need to modify one of these cars it's
not like you'd get it home from the dealers and think "I remember it being
a bit more pokey on the test drive"!

Becuase its fun. My age and budget do not lend themselves to tuning cars in this way so I don't do it but it's very similar to the sort of thing I do to computers - buy high end hardware, and then spend far too long fiddling with them to make them go even faster. Does it need to go faster? No. So why? Well, like stamp collecting and painting pictures its a hobby :)
Honestjohn review of EVO VII and VIII - maz64
Brian- have you emailed HJ?
Honestjohn review of EVO VII and VIII - perleman
I'm a modder at heart too, my Golf GTi was chipped & had quite an uprated stereo, and my current boxter has the new look lights, short shifter & uprated stereo again, but I guess the difference is that all these areas aren't that great in stock mode, whereas a Lancer Evo 9 FQ400 is already stupidly, ridiculously, dangerously fast to start with! I can even understand chipping it's 2 litre engine to get more power, but modifying it to the point that you have engine problems - jeez, how much power do you need?
Honestjohn review of EVO VII and VIII - yorkiebar
Have to agree with OP and wonder where the information comes from for that statement?

Don't know of any engine failures at those mileages. Even the rally boys expect more, with their conversions /modifications etc.

More reports from a journalist purporting to be a "trader/mechanic" etc imo?

Too many books not enough experience imo.
Is HJ a trader? - perleman
"More reports from a journalist purporting to be a "trader/mechanic" etc imo?"

harsh words! Is HJ a trader or not?
Is HJ a trader? - yorkiebar
My opinion, no facts to back it up; other than his out of date, sometimes out of touch comments about some vehicles and "how to" advice etc. JOURNALIST!