Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Jonathan {p}
Hi all

Just a quick question. We are selling our car and a chap from Ireland is interested in buying it. He has agreed to pay cash (so I'm not concerned about being ripped off).
However I wondered if anyone knows what I should do about the V5. I want to fill it in and send it off to Swansea, but am wondering if you can give the registered owners details as Ireland. I don't want to give it to him as he may never register it and I'll have all the hassle of dealing with speeding tickets etc. The buyers brother is coming to look at the car tomorrow (and drive it away if he likes it).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Jonathan
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Westpig
the buyer can have the main part of the V5 like anyone else would, you send of the tear off bit at the bottom to DVLA (after photocopying it) and that's you covered (register the post if you're still a bit worried).

not your problem what happens to the car after that
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Ruperts Trooper
Until DVLA receive the V5 from you, you're still responsibility in law for the vehicle, so DON'T give the buyer the V5 !!
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Aprilia
If you mean Irish Republic then its a foreign country - so the car is being perm. exported. See note 11 on the back of the V5c.
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Westpig
If you mean Irish Republic then its a foreign country - so the car is
being perm. exported. See note 11 on the back of the V5c.

surely to be pedantic...the buyer is permanently exporting it. If the seller was selling direct to Ireland then yes he's exporting, but if the buyer is collecting then the buyer is exporting....... and to start with, even if it's just a journey to the ferry port, the buyer is using it over here, which will need UK insurance, tax etc...
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - barchettaman
Jonathoan, if the buyer´s brother is coming tomorrow with cash the banks are shut. How can you check that the notes aren´t forged?
Just a thought.
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Pugugly {P}
B&Q first thing get an ultra violent lamp and one of those marker pen things.....
B&Q first thing get an ultra violent lamp and one of those marker pen things.....

I think a normal violent lamp would suffice ;-)

I can check the notes myself for watermarks, metallic strip and texture. As far as I know the lloyds bank in the Trafford Centre is open 7 days a week, so could pop in there afterwards (on second thoughts taking lots of money there would be a bad idea).

How else can you check notes?
Thanks for the replies so far.

After posting I did some reading up and am still not sure. My thought was to fill out the export bit and depending on when the chap will actually be taking it to Ireland, fill out the new buyer bit with his address and post that off. Only question is whether to fill out to the buyer or his brothers address (in UK)

Thanks again
Jonathan
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Dave N
Are you personally exporting it to Ireland? No. You just take his name and address and stick it on your part of the V5 and send to DVLA.

When he takes it over the border and exports it, he has to do the export paperwork.
Hi Dave

So you're saying I should put the Ireland address on the new owners bit of the V5?

Thanks
Jonathan
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - corblimeyguvnar
Beware the Irish buyer, especially if he sends his 'brother' to buy for him.
I.D. is the answer, photocopy/scan if possible, at least you have some come back on the DVLC/Scamcam partnership if it all goes wrong and you end up with numerous tickets.

Mr Suspicious
--
Drink Lager, Talk Piffle,
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Dave N
"So you're saying I should put the Ireland address on the new owners bit of the V5?"

Whatever name and address he gives you, it's not your job to prove his identity or verify his details.

It all sounds a bit dodgy, so you may want to ensure you're not the only one there to witness things.
My wife will be here too, I might ask my 6'6 BiL to come round while we transact. As long as I fill in and send off the V5 and complete a detailed receipt with time and date of purchase I should be covered. I'll also ring the insurers (who record all calls) and tell them we've sold the vehicle, so they will have a record of that time and date too.
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - pmh
What is the exact legal position of selling to a person with fixed abode?
What steps are you legally required to verify the name and address of a buyer purporting to be, for example, 'Mickey Mouse'?

Does anyone have the definitive answer?

Last time I sold a scrap car to an itinerant scrap man with a lorry, he gave me a company name and address and it seemingly satisfied the DVLA, but I was a little nervous until received the acknowledgement.
--

pmh (was peter)

Selling a car to an overseas buyer - jc2
I've always noted the registration number of the lorry as well-I sold a car to a scrapyard who said they didn't want the logbook etc.so I reurned all the logbook to the DVLA who acknowdged receipt.
Fake detector pen now in hand. This, however, begs the question of what to say if any fakes show up???
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - bathtub tom
I prefer the idea of handing over the readies in a bank, building society or post office.
They hand the money over the counter, the bank etc becomes responsible for counting and forgeries. If the bank is happy, then you hand over the V5 and keys. It also means you don't have to carry a wad of cash, or store it in your house where you could be mugged or burgled, because a total stranger knows about it. I think this scenario is a not unusual occurance.
Tom

I agree that this is best situation, but I am not in this position, the buyer is coming today. I could ask that he return tomorrow and we carry out the transaction at the bank, but as I work and (I assume) so does he, then it would be inconvenient to do so.

I can pay the cash into the bank using the deposit box but will need to withdraw it again tomorrow to pay for the car we have bought. Besides, there is still no guarantee that the cash will be straight, hence the need for a fake detector pen.

Thanks
Jonathan
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Pugugly {P}
Jonathan

Bet you're glad you asked now :-)
Jonathan
Bet you're glad you asked now :-)

Not really!! ;-0.

Mind you its better to be wise before the event.
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Simon
Do you mind me asking as to what kind of vehicle you are selling and roughly how much cash you are expecting to have to handle?

Its got me wondering now whether or not it is all legit. I would like to think that everything is above board and the guy really is coming to look over the vehicle for his brother, but it does have all the hallmarks of it being an 'itinerant' purchase.

Maybe this brother in Ireland doesn't exist and it is just a random name to register the vehicle in and once they have it, the DVLA won't actually have any idea who owns it and it may never leave the UK, thus they have another anonymous vehilce. Paying by cash is also another 'itinerant' trait.

I think you will have to make up your own mind about whether it is genuine or not. You must have spoken to this first guy who should have been in Ireland, what impression did you get from him? Also if he/they turn up in a Transit then I would be suspicious and expect for then to haggle hard on the price and put pressure on you to accept a lot less.

It could all turn out to be quite genuine though and it is just our suspicious minds doing overtime. Let us know how you get on.
The chap seemed amiable enough. I've got a telephone number for him and he gave me their names.

The car is a mazda and the amount is less than 2k.

I've decided that I will fill in the V5 with the UK address with the name of the chap in Ireland and send it off, he can then reregister it or export it himself, as long as I've fulfilled the requirements by filling it in and sending it off, then I'm happy there should be no comeback on me.

We're not in a great rush to sell, so I won't accept much below the asking price which is reasonable.

I'll let you know how things go, if he turns up (he's already nearly 1/2 hr late already).

Thanks
Jonathan
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - pmh
person with fixed abode?

should read - person with NO fixed abode!!!!

--

pmh (was peter)

The chap turned up, brought a mechanic, who had a look around it. Test drive, agreed a price, £50 deposit left and agreed to pay the balance (£1700) on collection next weekend, agreed to fill out the V5 in his name and address and when the Irish chap comes over to pick it up, they'll sort out the export bit themselves.

So far a no hassle transaction. All seemed straight enough to me.
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - quizman
You can't beat driving to the garage in the old car and driving back in the new one.

All these ripoff stories put me off selling private, even if you do get a bit more.
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Falkirk Bairn
REcent story in Scotalnd where the ovberseas buyer "was in a rush - missed the bank" and only had the Euros - a good exchange rate was agreed and the buyer left.

Only then did the seller find out the Euros were counterfeit.

Do you know what real Euros look like and what differences of fake ones?
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - bell boy
all these stories of dodgy geezers in long trench coats coming to our shores with dodgy money to do dodgy deals
you guys do too much reading and use your debit and credit cards too much
theres a world out there that still counts folding stuff
try it you might be pleasantly surprised, you can barter with cash and you can see in real terms what you are spending ,never mind looking at your online account when you get home
live a little............carry a bundle of cash every now and then and chill out

discuss..
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - Simon
>>The car is a mazda and the amount is less than 2k.

There we go then, hardly a car an 'itinerant' would be trying to purchase after all. I'm glad it has all worked out okay for you. It does make you wonder though why anyone would go to the trouble of buying a sub £2k Mazda from the UK and then go to the trouble of exporting it and presumably re-registering it. Surely there is no great saving to be had?
It does make you
wonder though why anyone would go to the trouble of buying a sub £2k Mazda
from the UK and then go to the trouble of exporting it and presumably re-registering
it. Surely there is no great saving to be had?

Apparently so, diesels in Ireland command a premium and it appears to be cheaper to buy one over here than over there.

Jonathan
Selling a car to an overseas buyer - TurboD
But the £ is stronger than euro so they cost more to them, does sound rather odd to come that way for a car.
But cars did seem dear when I went over this year, and parts were very dear, with many using the Internet to gets bits from UK, perhaps we should stop grumbling.