Checking transferability of reg. number - wobblyboot
I've found an old car (pre 1963) in a basket which I would like to buy, but the owner wants a lot for it because of the number plate. The registration is 33 EXF. I remember from somewhere that if you sell the reg of an old car like this the dvla allocate a number which is then non transferable, and these numbers often have an X in them.
I'm not bothered about the plate, but I don't want pay over the odds for the car because of the plate and then discover it's non transferable, so is there an easy way of finding this out?
Checking transferability of reg. number - Falkirk Bairn
Number palte is transferable if the car it is assigned to can pass an MoT.

An old Reg No on a rustbucket that is not roadworthy is worth nothing. The Reg lapses
Checking transferability of reg. number - cheddar
IIRC a plate can be transferred if the car has a current MOT or has been SORNed for less than a year.
Checking transferability of reg. number - RichardW
Also if car was not put on DVLA database in the early 80's then the old number will disappear and a new one will be allocated, or you will have to convince DVLA it's genuine and of historic significance to keep the old number. Either way it will be non-transferable... If you want the car beat the seller down, if you want the number, walk in the other direction!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Checking transferability of reg. number - wobblyboot
This is what I was hoping...the plate can't be transferred so the car is not worth as much as the seller thinks. What can I show him to convince him?
Checking transferability of reg. number - bell boy
this thread
ctrl + p = print
Checking transferability of reg. number - martint123
Ask to see it's current log book. ISTR it will say "number not transferable" if this is the case.
Even old lumps of rust ought to have had a new V5 issued.