Buying an ex police car, merits? - mark830_1
Thought i'd put to the forum the above topic. Having owned a ex police car in the distant past. What's the forums thought on the merits of buying one. I get the ball rolling with the following thoughts

For

Serviced well and often with quality parts and tyres etc.
Well driven most of the time, not all policing is car chases!
High mileage but no dubious history/ownership etc
A lot cheaper in theory
Police MOT them thereselves before selling them on.

Against

Mainly white in colour, hardly anyone chooses this colour through choice.
low spec in most cases.
dashboard normally has bits missing and no radio etc. Some of which is surprisingly expensive to source if you want to return to normal.
Interior trim can take a battering from big guys in uniform getting in and out all the time.
Are they thrashed from cold?
There is an opinion that they are not serviced as well or as expensively as we might imagine.

Would appreciates the forums views on any of the above

Mark W
Buying an ex police car, merits? - adverse camber
I looked at an ex police bmw 530 once

It was a shed
Buying an ex police car, merits? - ForumNeedsModerating
Worth bearing in mind the Police don't just retire their cars 'cos they've gone off the colour. They get a very hard life with many different drivers, every part of the car gets well used, bits are taken off & stuck on at random. If a private car had been treated in the same way - would you buy it? I would put Police cars in the 'boy racer' category for comparison (not comparing the P.O's to boy-racers of course).
Buying an ex police car, merits? - De Smythe
Depends what you are looking at. Some of the stuff used by CID or surveillance will be off the shelf specification in "normal" colours except for radio gear and often a lot less abused than traffic cars.

Somewhere on the board are threads about this already and opinion, if I recall correctly, was that ex-traffic cars are okay if well-maintained mechancals are your only criteria and you don't mind knackered interiors and mismatched dented exteriors. Having said that there was another thread that said the older cars are sometimes sold on the verge of when a total mechanical rebuild would be necessary, so rather than do this the vehicles would be sold as is. The old vectra V6 was the prime candidate from memory and quite a few of these litter E-bay (easy to spot: white SRi V6 with auto gearbox, no aircon, high mileage and no service history).

Ever though of ex-government, ex-DSS etc cars instead? Colleague bought a 2002 Mondeo Zetec with just 35k miles and FSH from DSS auction. Had apparently been a "benefit fraud surveillance vehicle" and was sold with strange extras like interior lights on bendy stalks suspended from roof and centre console. She paid £2k less than dealer forecourt at the time and it has run faultlessly.
Buying an ex police car, merits? - Altea Ego
there are some serving, and ex plod drivers on here. Mostly they are very scathing about police cars and wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.

Most are not white now BTW
------
< Ulla>
Buying an ex police car, merits? - piggy
Don`t do it! My brother was a serving ploice officer for many years and thought he`d bought a bargain when he got an ex-police car. What a load of rubbish.It was-nothing but trouble. They are used by all sorts of different drivers and thrashed from cold ,kerbed etc.,and all manner of things you would not do if it was your own car(and your own bills). He soon learnt his lesson!
----------------------------------
hurrying on- to a receding future
Buying an ex police car, merits? - Alby Back
About a lifetime ago I worked for a company who issued me with a white cortina saloon. ( Tasty eh ?! ) Well one night I drove from the office in London to Liverpool to visit my then girlfriend. Left straight after work still wearing white shirt and dark tie. To get to girlfriends house it was necessary to drive thru' Toxteth. Maybe you can see what's coming here but my personal Homer Simpson "Doh !" moment was that night as I drove thru' the Toxteth riots in my white cortina in a white shirt and dark tie ! Moral of the story being that it doesn't always serve you well to look like plod when you are not !
Buying an ex police car, merits? - jc2
Well driven???Whilst working for a major manufacturer,I was involved with the local police running a fleet of our cars-not pursuit-just general duties.All too frequently,when I tried to get hold of one of these cars for a check,I was told it's having it's suspension repaired,body damage fixed etc.Also,driving an ex-police "plain clothes" car,no external marks,I was regularly flashed or waved at as tho' it was still one of theirs.
Buying an ex police car, merits? - Aprilia
Police forces are under considerable financial pressure these days. They don't get shot of the cars until they really have to.....
Buying an ex police car, merits? - Fullchat
Stay well away unless you can find an ex staff car. Ours are BMWs at the moment. They may well be lease vehicles though. They have very subtle lighting mods and a discreet radio fit. Only time they see operational use is for VIP visits.
Think the light and radio fits are perhaps some kind of company car tax avoidance but not certain.
--
Fullchat
Buying an ex police car, merits? - Vansboy
That's what I've got.

My Omega was bought 3 years ago - it's 10th birthday this month - covered 117k. Now on 141k.

It's 2.5 CDX estate. Has just about EVERY extra, except leather, I wouldn't have bought it if it had, cost £1600ish.

Their were no blues n 2's fitted or removed & only a couple of holes in the dash, from a fone cradle.

A couple of annoying fag burns under the mats, otherwise spotless interior.

Similarly outside, all original paint, stonechips & a small NS door crease & couple scratches. Otherwise the Magic Grey paintwork looks very good. there are a couple of rust areas appearing by the rear door window rubbers, but that's all.

Had a newish set of Michelin Primacys on, which I've now replaced 2 & will be doing again soon.

Full service & belts, when I got it.

Since then, 5k Vauxhall semi synthtic oil changes, an alternator, rear exhaust & pads.
There is a weep on the pas pump & also rocker cover gasket, both being sorted this week.

Returns late 20's mpg & drives like a much newer car. Certainly NOT a 10 year old banger.

Probably make £1000 or more on ebay, so value for £$£$ it certainly is/was!

Mine didn't come from www.woma.co.uk but they have regular sales.

Avoid silver or white & you might be alright!

VB

Buying an ex police car, merits? - Xileno {P}
Pros and cons of buying an ex-Police car discussed here before:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=39337&...e
Buying an ex police car, merits? - hbosken
Would you buy an ex-taxi where drunk people have been carried, puked on the back seat, sometimes even done something unpleasant on the floor, driven hard - often to max revs and to the limits of he vehicles capabilities, and by any one of many drivers? No. So why buy an ex cop car - it's just basically a taxi that's probably not been as well looked after.

Certainly the way I see out local pandas treated, even white van man has more respect for the vehicle.

(Strange how many police cars you see with defective lights - saw one the other day with a nail actually sticking out of the sidewall of the front tyre - and it was still like that 2 days later!)

Edited a swear- filtered word

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 22/11/2007 at 17:47

Buying an ex police car, merits? - Snakey
Having seen the way plod treat them, I would never touch one no matter how cheap.

Buying an ex police car, merits? - Chips with everything
A mate of mine has a ex police Volvo T5 (white).

Very quick car but even faster through traffic - almost Biblical in the way it parts traffic he reckons even without the blues and twos!
Buying an ex police car, merits? - Galaxy
Saw an Essex Police traffic car a couple of years ago, an estate Volvo, I think.

In the rear window was a sticker which said something like

" This vehicle is fully air conditioned for the benefit of the animals carried herein"!

I wondered at the time what animals they were referring to?

8< SNIP!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/11/2007 at 19:24

Buying an ex police car, merits? - jimmybluetwos
does anybody know where i can go to purchase an ex-police vehicle at auction anywhere near the essex area ???? I am particularly after an ex-police dog unir for my dogs ?
Buying an ex police car, merits? - jc2
Phone Essex Police H/Q at Chelmsford!
Buying an ex police car, merits? - woodster
Mark and Jimmybluetwos - I wouldn't touch one with the proverbial pole. They're all thrashed from cold and regularly on the limiter. They're a tool for a job, nothing more. They don't need respecting and treating nicely by the drivers, they need to get us from A to B. The notion of careful driving and quality maintenance is piffle. Yes they'll be serviced and parts replaced but so what? A multitude of cared for cars fit these criteria. They're put through the auctions for a reason. One of the other contributors has mentioned the staff cars (or 'car') in most cases - the only exception.
Actually, police dog vans are worth a punt. They dont get used and abused too much, and are expensively and well kitted out.

Vansboy on here will advise you of where to go, specilaist auctions.

Buying an ex police car, merits? - perro
I bought a V8 P6 once in Zircon blue complete with hole in the roof - absolutely knackered it was, I didn't realise just how bad it was til I bought another P6 in 'cared for' condition.
Buying an ex police car, merits? - woodster
Dog vans as bad as any cars in my force. Frequently travelling further to shouts and so abused for longer. Nice smell too....
Buying an ex police car, merits? - gordonbennet
And the other side is, i bought an ex driving school Rover 827 manual in bluegrey.

Superbly maintained with full comprehensive printed history, bodywork and interior excellent and gave fine service over the many years i owned it and went rather too well over a certain speed.;)
Still one of the best cars i've owned, the only criticisms being FWD, and that it would eat front discs, had many sets during it's time with plod too, they would overheat when reducing fast from warp speed..warp being the common theme.
Buying an ex police car, merits? - Falkirk Bairn
Buy one of the "TOP BRASS" RRover/BMW 7 Series etc

Cared for and will be in good nick - in most cases.
Buying an ex police car, merits? - captain chaos
I wonder if the immunity from speeding convictions is transferrable? ;-)
Buying an ex police car, merits? - bell boy
There arent any merits over and above initial cheapness which as has been pointed out soon falls into insignificance when everything starts going pear shaped
If these vehicles had an hour guage for hours run rather than miles then im sure a lot of posters would change their attitudes on an old beat up poor spec worn out vehicle
I really cant understand why not buy a proper low mileage van and fit a proper cage in the back?
It must come down to either laziness in that the job has already been done or as i say initial cheapness as nobody else wants a washed out old combo van

Sits back and waits to hear more floss............
It cost over a grand (yes a grand) to kit out our van for the sporting dogs. Mind that was spray Fibrglass lined, compartmentalised, individual cages, waterproofed for hosing out, and aircooled by fans.
Buying an ex police car, merits? - perro
On the other hand, I also used to look after a fair few copper's own cars, they luved their jamjars and would maintain them regardless of cost, so they *would* be a good buy!
Buying an ex police car, merits? - SuperBuyer
I still maintain that an ex police car (proper car, not a little astra, etc..) is just like buying a one owner company vehicle. Certainly speaking for myself, revving from cold, 30mph is the change into 2nd point, 50mph is change into 3rd, 70-80mph change into 4th. 30-40mph over speed bumps, so whats the difference???

The main selling point of an ex police vehicle is the colour - white is becoming a rather appealing colour. Wonder what the insignia tourer looks like in white [goes off to see...].

As for the Dog Van question, why not have a look at www.expolicecar.co.uk who have a sideline in dog vans (I know, they're in Halifax, but treat it as a dayout, fantastic scenery, good pubs and a nice meal)

Edited by SuperBuyer on 26/07/2009 at 21:25