2002 2.2 DCi - Power problems. - muppster
I did post on this site a while back regarding my "poorly" Espace (2.2DCi 2002) with the fuel pump/injector problems.
The upshot of it all was that I had all 4 injectors replaced at a cost of some £1300!

Anyway, recently another problem has raised its ugly head! Namely a loss of power when half way down on the accelerator. In all gears and at all speeds this seems to occur. I can be cruising down the dual carriageway for example with my foot half way down to maintain speed and it feels like the car is jerking every second or so. I can accelerate through this and there is no problem but i soon as I ease off it comes back again!

I wondered if this went back to my original diagnosis of a fuel pump problem but why would that be if I stick my foot down and get more acceleration no problem? Could it be the injectors as I'm not sure how they work at the varying rpm's.

Either way the problem is getting a bit worse all the time! There is no fault light coming up on the dash to signify anything!

With the previous problems and recent mot failure which cost another £500 i'm getting a bit reluctant to spend more money on this heap of pink fluffy dice unless I can see an end to all my woes!!

Any ideas folks??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/11/2007 at 10:14

2002 2.2 DCi - Power problems. - Screwloose
muppster

Not an easy one - maybe the accelerator pedal position sensor or a MAF or MAP sensor...... Maybe.

The only way to be sure is to road-test it with a scanner plugged-in to watch what's going on.

[You mean that there is an end to woes on an Espace? Without the use of explosives?]
2002 2.2 DCi - Power problems. - Collos25
Throttle body is were I would start common fault you will get a new one on Ebay.
2002 2.2 DCi - Power problems. - Stevevr6d
Hi, I have exactly the same issue with my 2000 2,2dci Espace. erratic loss of power but no smoke. Some days it is OK , on others it is undriveable.
Have cleaned the EGR valve and replaced the Air flow meter with no result.
Did you get yours fixed??
2002 2.2 DCi - Power problems. - muppster
No, didnt get it fixed.

Did a long run in it down to Kent from Northampton last month, practically there and back with only a 10 minute stop to collect something.

After that the problem went away for a few weeks!!..... but has since returned now its back to just doing short hops to work and back!

Anyway, its off the road again!! Possible alternator failure this time!! Over the past week the battery warning light came up in red and told me to "STOP"... came to start today and completely dead! Have bought a new battery anyway as the one that's on is old, but cant get the old one out!

I'm doomed I tell you! Doomed!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/01/2008 at 09:24