buying car from germany - jonrice
Hello everyone great site bit of luck I found it,not sure if anyone can help but I'm thinking of buying a car in Germany.

Has anyone done this or can give me some helpfull info on web sites ect and also what makes of car will be better to buy.

I will be on a small budget 1000£

P.S I live in Sweden and prices here are crazy thats why I'm thinking Germany, sorry if this is a bit of an odd question but I thought I give it a shot.

Regards. Jon
buying car from germany - local yokel
This from another forum:

Pay for the car (get a recept, TUV etc).
Drive to ADAC (German AA) and buy insurance to cover your trip home.
Go to the Zulassungsstelle which I don't think opens at weekends and may even shut early on Fridays. Get export plates (they will need to see the car and check the chassis number. The plate shop will probably be next to the Zulassungsstelle (buy placcy holders for the plates), it will take about 45 minutes in total if you are lucky.
buying car from germany - Bagpuss
If you're searching for a car in Germany, have a look on www.autoscout24.de and www.mobile.de. Exporting a car from here is not a problem, you can red transit plates from the Zulassungsstelle and insurance based on the chassis number.

I don't know what the situation is in Sweden but a mate of mine in Denmark was put off buying a car in Germany and importing it to Denmark because under Danish law he would have to own it in Germany for a year before exporting it or be subject to massive registration taxes when registering it in Denmark. By the way, I don't find second hand cars here that cheap compared to countries such as the UK. There is a massive market for exports to eastern Europe which seems to keep the prices propped up.
buying car from germany - Dwight Van Driver
tinyurl.com/ypawpj

If your driving the vehicle in from a ferry then I would consider making an appointment, having the fact recorded, for it to have an MOT at a Garage.

This will allow you lawfully to driver it to the Garage without UK MOT and Excise Licence.

dvd
buying car from germany - jc2
Make sure it has a valid TUeV certificate(MoT);you can't export without it except as scrap and they will make sure it is scrap before they let it go.
Thanks very much for the replys, having looked at the prices there not much lower then car''s in Sweden.

I think I'm going to buy a car from England the prices are much lower and I've done it before with no hassle, the only thing I'm worried about is getting it all legal to pass the MOT what with it being left hand drive you have to change the lights and one guy had to change the hole speedo colum to show Km not Mph, so will have to do my home work.

Cheers, Jon
buying car from germany - Collos25
In Germany you need a 3 day transit plate ,if the car is bought at a garage they will get them for you 50euros and they include full insurance couldn't be simpler.
If you buy an RHD car and take it to Sweden it won't be worth very much in Sweden! Insurance will also cost you more than for an LHD car.
buying car from germany - barchettaman
Evening,
Second hand prices are miles lower in Germany than in Sweden, going by the unbelievably overpriced Volvos in the Skone Dagesblatt (?) newspaper that my FiL reads. Other posters have remarked that UK second hand prices are lower still.

On a slight tangent, FiL was thinking about buying second hand over here (Germany) and taking it back to Bastad, but was deterred by someone telling him garages in Sweden would charge more to service an import that a locally-sourced vehicle. I thought this was absolutely preposterous, but he seemed sure this would be the case...
I´m surprised that the name of the quaint seaside town where my in-laws live in Skone got past the swear filter!
What evidence would they have it was imported, once it had Swedish plates, docs etc?

>someone telling him garages in Sweden would charge more to service an import that a locally-sourced vehicle. I thought this was absolutely preposterous, but he seemed sure this would be the case...
.....What evidence would they have it was imported....

Absolutely. I am sure other BRers have had difficulty on occasion in understanding the logic of their in-laws. This was one such occasion for me!
"Second hand prices are miles lower in Germany than in Sweden, going by the unbelievably overpriced Volvos in the Skone Dagesblatt (?) newspaper that my FiL reads. Other posters have remarked that UK second hand prices are lower still."

That's what I thought but having looked again thay seem slightly lower I friends going to get me DAZ I think it's called and check out the prices in there it's a German second hand car mag maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I have to also consider getting the car back getting there and then getting it registered all that adds up and seeing I'm buying a cheapo car it might be more hassle than its worth. I'm sure high end cars are much cheaper, I will keep looking

As for buying a car from England I'm not really botherd if its not going to be worth much, as I will drive it into the ground,shame though as there would be a huge profit margen. I been looking at Saab 9-3 you can pick one up for around 1000£ with maybe 100.000m on the clock, in Sweden thay go for around 40.000kr which is well over 2500£ crazy and milage is higher.

As for insurance I had LHD volvo and insurance was still cheaper in Sweden than the U.K.

Thanks to the replys