1.8 Vti - Aerodeck - Pezzer
I am thinking of getting a late model (x 2000) one of these as a stopgap. I would be interested in any experiences anybody might have had of them. IE Real world mpg, on the road characteristics, good points/issues etc. Am i right in thinking that if the engine has been maintained then it should be pretty strong well into 6 figure mileages ?

Thanks P

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/11/2007 at 18:54

1.8 Vti - Aerodeck - 007
www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php
1.8 Vti - Aerodeck - b8
I've owned my Aero 1.8 since it was launched in 1998. It however has only done less than 40k miles but it feels like it can do another 40k without any problems if well maintained.

I use it mainly around town and seem to get 26mpg. On long runs, I'd be very lucky to see 32mpg between fillups. Overall average is 28mpg On motorways, the 1.8 really needs a 6th gear.

The 1.8 is noisy and the ride is very firm. A 1.6 is likely to be better on economy and perhaps have a more forgiving ride. The Ford Focus handles and rides better.

Apart from routine maintenance, only problems I've had are heater control cable becoming detached, and intermittent fault with the immobiliser which I rectified simply by unplugging and reconnecting the cable (been fine ever since). The bushes on rear suspension arms have also been replaced (although I question whether this really needed doing)

On low milers like mine, it does go through rear silencers at an alarming rate. My last box only lasted 2.5yrs. It always blows/rusts/disintegrates just where the pipe enters the front of the rear box, and if ignored, it will eventually snap in half. Unipart replacements only available from Honda, about £125 fully fitted. ATS did offer an alternative after a lot of phoning around but it was £116 fitted.

Overall, I like my Aero, but I am about to PX it for a smaller car.

Edited by Bill L. on 27/11/2007 at 07:25

1.8 Vti - Aerodeck - Falkirk Bairn
The 1.8 is noisy and the ride is very firm. A 1.6 is likely to
be better on economy and perhaps have a more forgiving ride. The Ford Focus handles
and rides better.
Apart from routine maintenance only problems I've had are heater control cable becoming detached

I had the 1.6 (from 2000 sold it 2 mths ago) - did 90K with no real problems -as above eats rear boxes every 2 years, heater control cable came off @ 82,000 miles. Honda dealer wanted to replace rear bushes (Indie said they were OK and it passed MoT), AC needed re-gassing (Honda Dealer said it needed a new condenser), rheostat went on the fan speed - apart from that it was 100%.

The 1.8 should be a better drive as the 1.6 lacked oomph - motoring along on most roads the 1.6 was fine it just needed more power or rather torque - the 1.8 delivers a lot more power & some more torque - the early Vtecs are disappointing on the torque and have to be revved to make them go as they should.
1.8 Vti - Aerodeck - Pezzer
Thanks for the replies, I was feeling a bit 'unloved' on this. For what its worth I did buy the car last week, although it has sat on the drive since as the Co car goes back on Friday. I'd agree it is v noisy on the motorway and i keep looking for sixth. Its an incredible engine though as it will bumble along and then suddenly set off like a scalded cat when you rev it hard, all a bit counter-intuitive after a diesel !

Interesting comment about the back boxes as I did notice that there are signs of corrosion on the seams.