04,Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - DP
The Scenic suffered its first fault in our hands over the weekend. SWMBO pressed the passenger electric window "down" button. There was a muffled "click" and the window slid slowly down into the door never to reappear.
Stripped it down over the weekend, and the (alarmingly flimsy and brittle) plastic glass "holder" has snapped in half right along the line where the two control cables attach to it. The sudden release of tension on the cables has flung them off the pulleys, and both have been damaged (frayed) by the still turning motor jamming them between the pulley and mechanism.

The motor is still perfectly OK
The sliding rail and frame are still perfectly OK.

Renault want £200 for a complete new regulator. How that is justified I don't know!
There are secondhand "genuine" ones on Ebay for 70 quid or so.
There are pattern new ones on Ebay for 50 quid or so.
There are rebuild kits available with new cables and spools, and replacement glass holders - total cost about 30 quid with postage.

Advice/opinions gratefully received.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 12/11/2007 at 18:30

Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - Altea Ego
Step 1 - get a new renault dealer dvd manual on ebay (dialogsys) - It has fabulous break down assembly diagrams
Step 2 - Order a rebuild kit
Step 3 - Fix it yourself. There is no need to get into the sytem to reprogram the windows.
------
< Ulla>
Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - DP
Thank you. That answers another question I have had for a while - is there a decent service manual available on DVD? I have a copy of the Ford equivalent, also sourced from Ebay, which is excellent, but haven't heard of a Renault equivalent until now.

I have the regulator (and the bits that fell off it) in the garage now, and a stout piece of wood with a groove in the top is employed inside the door as a makeshift window closer for the time being. Trim is all refitted, and the car is perfectly useable again. At least now I can do the work on the regulator indoors in the warm at my leisure.

The regulator looks pretty simple. The glass holder part just slides off the top of the rail, and the spool/motor assembly bolts up using three Torx screws. The hard part I think is going to be getting the cables to stay on the spool while the motor is offered up and bolted into place. Once in place, the design of the frame prevents the cables from lifting off the spool.

In any case, it's something to do in the dry and warm while SWMBO is watching something rubbish on TV, which always makes any job easier and more pleasant.

Cheers
DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - Simon
Keep us informed of how you get on repairing this. I've got a similar problem with the electric window on a Laguna II, which has frayed a cable and now will only go down about two inches from its closed position.
Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - bell boy
a youtube video would be good
or
a few photobucket .com photo uploads
it can then be used by anyone who accesses the renault section and has the same problem,
just a thought
Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - DP
No probs with photos, but video not easy as I don't have a functioning camera right now.

It's staying as it is for now as I'm off to sunny Spain on business tomorrow for a few days, but will take a look at the weekend.

Cheers for all your help!

DP
--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - AR-CoolC
It's not too bad actually when you get in to it.

Winding the cables ontot he spool is a bit tricky but not as bad as you'd expect it to be. The tricky bit is getting the cables back over the pullies (sp?).

And yes doing the job on a work bench is by far the prefereable method :)
Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - The Melting Snowman
These regulators are a lousy design. I've had two replaced on mine, a third is making a odd noise. To make matters worse, one of those fixed under warranty is making a cracking noise as the glass goes up and down.

Otherwise reasonably happy with it but nothing like as good as previous Renaults we've had.

Edited by The Melting Snowman on 13/11/2007 at 20:56

04,Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - Army
This is basically a design fault which Renault half admit (they never fully admit to anything - remember the Clio bonnet?) - its virtually always the plastic bracket that shatters - naturally Renault want you to spend £180 to replace the whole lot but, as usual, someone on ebay noticed this gap in the market and you can buy a strengthened version of the bracket for £7 - just put scenic window regulator bracket in the search box in ebay and voila, just just saved a fortune.
04,Failed window regulator - opinions sought. - TimOrridge
I would have hoped DP has fixed this by now!
04,Failed window regulator - ANSWER!!!!!! - fireuk
I have had 3 regulators fail on my Scenic...

I called renault UK and made a complaint (the car was 3.5 yrs old) when the first one went. (its a known fault by the way - water gets in the door and corrodes the cable regulater)

I demanded they pay for it as its a design fault. They refused.... I then called back stating how my 1 yr old son was in the back when the window dropped and its a health and safety case and i was going to call trading standards... I was firm and calm.
They paid the whole lot...

A secound one went (same car) and it did the same window dropped like a stone cable snapped (car 4yr old nearly) At first they refused to pay... After stern words and threats to sue there back sides.. I got the secound one free of costs....

Third one went the other week (cars 4.5 yrs old) Blood outta stone job on this occastion... after a few words etc.. I managed to get 50% of the costs back.

Think if i would have gone through with the claim i possibly would have got total costs back...

But at the end of the day the result is ok... not done too bad... But there design team are to blame..

renault UK complaints it the first point of call... Be very firm and professional with them. There not your friend there trying to save them selfs money for there poor designed cars...its your money they want!

All the best
04,Failed window regulator - ANSWER!!!!!! - isabelleclanger

I have created a facebook group so we can collectively discuss

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_215069571837676&ap=1

I hope this will help highlight the problem