VTR dead battery & when bump started erratic revs - snowytoo
My wife's 1.6 VTR is a well looked after low milage example on a 52 plate. She took it shopping last and returned without problem. I jumped in it this morning and it wouldn't turn over. Battery seemed totally flat, it wouldn't turn over fast wnough to fire then totally dead on the key. I rolled it down the drive a little and bump started it - it started fine but then the revs went up and down a few times then set at about 5k rpm then sank again - it did this on it's own without any throttle pedal. I turned it off to avoid it over revving it. Turned it over again and totally dead. I repeated exercise bump starting it a couple of times and again same problems.
It was only serviced a while ago and has full Citroen SH.
If it was just the battery dying then it would at least run ok when it was bump started wouldn't it ? Nothing appears to have been left turned on in the car to discharge it by the way.
Any advice would be appreciated.
VTR dead battery & when bump started erratic revs - injection doc
Charge battery first & allow it too settle. It may need to re-adapt after flat battery but on the other hand bump starting may of damaged the ECU. I wouldn't bump start any more. You say its well looked after but it aint if you bump start it, poor old electrics get a real shock!
Doc
Hi and thanks so much for the advice. The car has performedfaultlessly since we bought it 8 weeks ago. When I bumped it was at a slow speed and I dipped the clutch for a fraction of a second so as to minimise potential for damage. I have no warning lights on the dash when engine started so assume the alternator is ok. If I was to change the battery for a new one is there anything I need to do (other than reset radio code ?) ie remote central locking or anything ?. Thanks again for your help.
VTR dead battery & when bump started erratic revs - injection doc
It doesn't matter how quickly or slowly you bump it!, if the battery voltage has dropped the components get zapped the moment it fires because the voltage to the components is regulated so if the voltage is low the regulators ( plainly speaking) open up looking for more voltage.& then get a sudden spike from the alternator
I recall an Omega elite that was written off with a jump start as it blew every electrical component in the car even the light switch, dash, radio,all the ECU's for ABS auto trans TC,climate etc etc you name it it blew it!. unlucky I know but it does happen.
Stick a new battery in it, reset radio allow to idle for 5 mins & take for drive for 15 mins.
Doc
Ok, no more bump starts for me ! Thanks for advice. Will let know you outcome.
Kind regards
Tony