Tyre Rim Protection - doctorchris
Researching the best on-line tyre supplier to replace my daughter's punctured tyre, I find a number of tyres are available with "rim protection". Sometimes a particular tyre can be supplied with or without it, sometimes it seems to be compulsory.
I know the idea is to protect the wheel at the expense of tyre rubber, but has anyone any experience of this idea?
Does it work?
Does it affect tyre characteristics such as handling or ease of balancing?
Is it really such a good idea to have a tyre specifically designed to sustain side-wall damage?
Tyre Rim Protection - Ruperts Trooper
It's just a bead that projects a little further. It goes all the way round so shouldn't affect balance. It's not part of the internal construction so it shouldn't affect handling.

My last car, Vauxhall Astra, had 196/60 x15 tyres but the centre of the alloy projected beyond the tyre face - I just fitted 205/60 x15 all round when they needed replacement - the wheel centre was then flush with the tyre face.

The speedo had been 3% fast so the larger diameter actually made it more accurate at 1% fast. If the speedo had been accurate I'd have fitted 205/55 x15 to maintain the rolling radius.
Tyre Rim Protection - Harmattan
Have you checked those Hankooks on your Panda (see one of your other threads) because their tyres mostly seem to have the raised band. Having driven same car with and without, albeit different makes of tyre, there is no apparent difference at all. Can't see why there should be, frankly.
The Hankooks don't seem to have rim protection but then I don't kerb my tyres, unlike the ladies in my household (who, fortunately, never visit the HJ website).
Tyre Rim Protection - gordonbennet
I remember teasing Georgeous gently over her fairly regular kerbings of the n/s wheels, and by the way the kerb protector of the goodyear F1 just ripped off in one chunk so fat lot of good that was!

So couple of weeks later i managed to scrape the O/S/F wheel along the entire circumference and me supposed to be a pro Ha! And her beside me laughing her silly head off!!!

Just as well we don't profess to be any good at anything.

Waiting to see if she can scrape the wheels on the hilux.

I promise to report if she does, maybe not if i do.

doctorcrhris you do tempt fate, would the ladies in the house confirm who is responsible for the kerbings?
OK, I confess, the worst scrape on any wheel on our cars was due to me scraping the Panda's alloy on the capping of a low wall. This resulted in a curved scrape across the face of the wheel.
Just about to try to repair with a kit from

www.getsmart-group.com

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/11/2007 at 12:31

Sorry about dual post, unreliable web connection which frequently goes down confused me.
BTW, how do you make references to web pages into hyperlinks?
Tyre Rim Protection - Dynamic Dave
One of the double posts deleted.

To make the link clickable, you need to add http:// to the start of it. (now done to your link)

DD.
Tyre Rim Protection - Stuartli
>>you need to add http:// to the start of it. >>

The browser should do this automatically.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Tyre Rim Protection - Dynamic Dave
The browser should do this automatically.

Yes, but the question wasn't asking that.