MOT TOm-foolery. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
A mate had his car pass an MOT. During a 10k mile service performed after the MOT on the same day the following faults were found.

1) O/S outer C.V. gater small pinhole
2) N/S/R wheel bearing slight play and noise (£15 +£10 +VAT)
3) O/S/R lower swivel slight play (£16 + £10 + VAT)
4) Front brake discs and pads worn very close to the limit (£110-120,
inc.)
5) N/S/F tyre worn low
6) Both rear wheel cylinders leaking (£25 + £31 + VAT)
7) O/S/R shock absorber damp
8) Both rear brake drums worn
9) Unable to remove No. 4 spark plug
10) Exhaust misaligned

No's 1, 6 & 7 should be MOT failures surely?

I assume 6 means slave cylinders.

Discuss.

--
Parp, Parp!
MOT TOm-foolery. - Galaxy
1. The chances are that this was genuinely missed during the MOT test itself, which would take much less time than a service.

2. and 3. Subjective and depends on judgement of individual examiner.

4. If the brakes will pass a roller brake test then a pass will be given. Can issue a warning about the state of visible components, though.

5. Sounds like a warning, though the tyre probably meets minimum requirements.

6. Not allowed to dismantle anything during an MOT test, so leaking cylinders, unless the leak was so bad that there was brake fluid on the backplate (or, even, on the tyre!) would not be detected, so provided roller brake test passed then acceptable.

7. Subjective

8. As comments for 4 and 6.

9. Definitely NOT and MOT failure item!!!

10. I doubt if this is, either.

So, all in all, I'm afraid that I'm not at all surprised!
MOT TOm-foolery. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Great news!

I only thought 1, 6 & 7 would be MOT issues.

Glad to know it's the MOT/Service isn't necasarily a rip off.

The guy seems thorough. I always thought services were a quick oil change, a drive round the block and back to the customer with a 400 quid bill!

--
Parp, Parp!
MOT TOm-foolery. - cos
Try looking on www.motuk.co.uk , this site has a copy of the full testers manual ie. what is checked and reasons for failures.
MOT TOm-foolery. - Dynamic Dave
--
p***, p***!

Now there's a blast from the past :o)
MOT TOm-foolery. - Dynamic Dave
>> --
>> p***, p***!

Darn that swear filter.
MOT TOm-foolery. - Ian Cook
I'm in general agreement, Galaxy.

Also, it could have failed the MOT for something else that might not have been picked up during the service. Then he would have had the benefit of getting the MOT faults fixed when he had it serviced.

It could be that he was as happy as Larry to get it through the MOT, and then cheesed off to get a bigger service bill than he expected. A lot of people would have had it serviced BEFORE the MOT.

Ian Cook
MOT TOm-foolery. - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Hole in gaiter. That takes me back a bit. Rover SD1 3500, failed its MoT when the tester found a hole in a drive shaft gaiter.

When the new one came it, too, had the same, oval shaped hole in it. Exit one red-faced tester..............

Going back even further, I was miffed when the Lancia Beta Spider went for its first MoT and failed with a "perished" engine mounting. Rubber should last more than 3 years, thought I.

A new one was fitted and I returned just as the repair was finished. I noticed the old mounting on the bench. "See what I mean?" said the tester, "you can peel it off with your thumb nail"

Still puzzled, I ran my thumb along its wrinkled edge, duly removing a layer of Ziebart rust-proofing gunge to reveal virgin rubber beneath..............

I'm relieved to learn that monkeys can no longer qualify as MoT testers...............

MOT TOm-foolery. - Ian Cook
Hole in gaiter. That takes me back a bit. Rover SD1
3500, failed its MoT when the tester found a hole in
a drive shaft gaiter.

I seem to remember my Rover 3500SE (SD1) had a live rear axle. Perhaps the holed gaiter was on the steering rack, Paul. Although the engines were good the rest of the car was quite flimsy, wasn't it.

Ian Cook
MOT TOm-foolery. - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Hell, yes of course. Used a trolley jack on the diff to fit snow chains. So, where the hell was it? Definitely not the rack, it was on the rear, I remember crawling underneath to fix something later, and saw the gaiter. But where? Have to dig out the Haynes. Call back later, well spotted, Ian..............