Safe Brake wear percentage - Matthew_J_King
My Brakes are currently "80% worn". These are the original VW Brakes fitted from new, I've done 40k over 2 years so it will take a while for them to get down to 90% worn.

But what is a safe pecentage worn for Brakes? Is changing them at 80% wasteful or sensibly cautious? What is the MOT requirement (I guess this is a thickness rather than percentage)?
Safe Brake wear percentage - DP
For MOT purposes, the brake pads or linings can't be less than 1.5mm thick at any point.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
What thickness do they start at (so I can ascertain how close 80% worn is to failing an MOT)?
Safe Brake wear percentage - RichardW
Presumably this is what your garage told you when they serviced it? Did they also say "Would you like us to change them for £££££ now sir?"???

You really need to get the pads out and measure them and the discs to asceratain the state of wear - the easiest way to do this is to take it along to one of the major chains who will do free brake check for you and report the state of the brakes - usually with measurements to back it up.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Safe Brake wear percentage - bell boy
Average pad has 10mm meat as new
80% worn =8mm gone
leaves 2mm left
do you trust your life on 2mm and some horse glue
well do you?
get them changed
Thanks - I've taken your advice.

In this case I believe the garage, not because they are a Dealer but because they always put the wear in print on the final bill. In this case I just need new front Pads and the cost is very close (actually slightly less) to a reputable local independant garage.