What van for man with a van ? - van man edinburgh
hi

been looking for months now for a van, i run an old shape transit, been excellent for running costs but i need a bigger van but max size is mwb due to parking and tight streets

old Transit Lutons gone to the moon and back and 10 mph in a head wind

new transits told nightmare running costs and parts very soft same with Vauxhall vans. LDV not up to it, VW expensive and Merc expensive.

All I hear is negative stuff about anything i go for

Anyone got advice for a van mwb ideally Luton shaped - i like the look of the Movano aero body but told part wear out quickly .....yawn

budget 3-6k depending on van

What's mwb - being totally ignorant in these things ? Some post tidying done.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/10/2007 at 22:32

what van for man with a van - gordonbennet
Peugout Boxer/ Citroen Relay, as you probably know they do make an exceedingly good van i believe the Iveco is the same van but can't for the life of me remember the model name. The lwb high top is huge.

If you could come downsize a little you could get into a Toyota powervan which i believe runs the old landcruiser engine. They also do a chassis cab called the Dyno been making them for years, might find one of them with a luton on.

All that springs to mind at the mo
what van for man with a van - adverse camber
for PU
I think they are talking about wheelbase

long and medium - the various vans come in different lengths - so you get swb, mwb, lwb
what van for man with a van - Pugugly {P}
Ah....as I said my ignorance.
what van for man with a van - legacylad
Up until earlier this year I ran a VW Transporter. It was bought it as an ex demo in 1997, had the 2.4 (non turbo) 5 cyl engine, LWB HiRoof variant and never let me down mechanically. Over its 120k mile life it had two minor electrical problems, and I sold it some 10 months after I sold my business....which just goes to show how much I liked it. There was minor rust on 2 wheel arches and the fuel filler cap was badly rusted.Averaged 32mpg, cruised fine at 75mph apart from uphill when fully loaded, and I cannot praise it highly enough.
If I ever bought a van again, I would look for a good example with this low tech engine.
It was almost as good as a previous VW T2 1600cc TD Syncro which really did take some abuse over my 5 years of ownership, both off road and on.
What van for man with a van ? - J Bonington Jagworth
"All I hear is negative stuff"

I suspect that all van men look down their noses at all other vans. Probably because they're so similar!
What van for man with a van ? - Paul I
Iveco's are the only ones built like a truck and scaled down not built like a car and scaled up. Seriously Iveco's are the best kit it this weight range.

The Fiat/Citroens are a half decent panel van but there Lutons are rare for a reason.
Transits - well lots of them the problem is finding a good one, next the the Renaults/Vauxhall some with good engines like the 3.0 some with C**P like 2.5 which leads me to the VW LT based on the sprinter the only change us the engine which is a VW/Audi 2.5 which is good but sought after.
What van for man with a van ? - none
Can't agree with Paul 1 about the Iveco range of vans. We've got about a dozen on the hire fleet I work on, along with LT's and Transits.
The Iveco's are more trouble than the rest of them put together. Not only major mechanical problems, but poor quality electrics, shoddy trim, and (specially the high tops), doors that have never closed properly from new. If the service schedule is followed (every 25k with the newer ones) every half worn item must be replaced, as it probably won't last the next 25k. And after 50k, they all drive like old Polski Fiats.
LT's are ok. They're fairly high maintenance though, with regular gearbox and diff oil changes, cam and fuel pump belt changes and crankshaft damper replacement. And some of this work requires special tools. Front suspension ball joints and bushes are usual MOT failure points as well.
Transits are probably the best bet. They do have their problems, changing front discs will probably mean new wheel bearings as well, and we've had a few leaky injection pumps, and a couple of sheared water pump drives, but overall the Tranny stands up well to hirer abuse.
One point to bear in mind is that both the LT and Transit have dual mass flywheels, and these have been a problem with both makes. We replace them with solid flywheels.
From a hire company point of view, the Transit is tops, the LT a close second, LDV a distant third, closely followed by Iveco.
What van for man with a van ? - rg
Two penn'orth follows:-

For the last couple of years, I've hired Transit-ish vans for a trip from Teeside to London and back, plus for a few other UK "long haul" (!) destinations.

I'm given whatever's on the fleet at the time. I've built up a strong rapport with the hire depot team. They tell me "as it is" about the vehicles. My summary:-

- Iveco - Odd mechanical noises and a general feel of fragility and flimsiness. An impression of being eager but not hard-wearing. I turned back after half a mile with one that sounded like it had been fitted with undersize pistons. The engineer said, in all honesty "This is typical Iveco, mate". It did the work fine, but I drove it with gritted teeth. Nothing to match the XLWB high-top for sheer volume, though.

- VW LT - Sorry, but disappointing. Utterly uncomfortable seats, not particularly eager and willing, and an atrocious germanic gearchange. Boneshaker suspension (OK - it's German)

- Merc. Sprinter - Quick, refined, and smooth, but I have been told of some horrenously expensive and serious faults, surprising for something prestigious and expensive.

LDV Maxus - I'm just back from 700 miles in one of these. Flimsy, with poorly-fitting doors, niggly electrical faults, poor "orange-peel" paintwork. Apparently, this particular hire station returned their Maxus fleet en masseto the local dealer a few months ago as they were causing so much trouble. Fast and willing. I filled up at Brackley on the A43, then topped the tank at Stockton before returning for £35.00. And I didn't hang about. Not bad.

Transit - Can't really fault them in any respect. Solid, and a good reputation with the hirer. But, I suspect, quite dear.

I hope that this helps.

r
What van for man with a van ? - boxsterboy
The VW LT and Merc Sprinter are largely the same - I'm surprised you found such a difference. The LDV Maxus is made in Russia now, isn't it? If so that would explain the 'quality'

We had good experiences with a Transporter 2.4D lwb (ex-Anglian windows - high miles but every last penny spent on it detailed). If you can find a good one, that should do.
What van for man with a van ? - AlastairW
The LDV Maxus is made in Russia now, isn't it? If so that would explain the 'quality'

Birmingham actually. The tooling was built for a joint venture with Daewoo in Poland, but when Daewoo went belly up the British taxpayer lent LDV the money to bring the tooling etc here.
What van for man with a van ? - vo
You talk about a flywheel problem on VW LT. It's concerning which engines/dates...