Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - steveo3002
thought id post up that i bought some philips 80% plus bulbs in h4 fitment

they seem to do what they claim ( had the 50% in already) noticeably whiter light and they light up plenty of the road ahead

good value at £20 posted from ebay

anyone else tried em yet? what do you think

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/10/2007 at 23:23

Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Round The Bend
Is that £20 each or for the pair?
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Altea Ego
I have seen a post on the seatcupra.net site, that the xtra 80% bulbs are stunning.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - bignick2
sounds perfect for dazzling pedestrians

I'll get my coat..........
i paid £20 delivered for a pair from ebay
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Stuartli
Lidl recently offered a pack of two 50% plus headlamps for £3.99.

Before anyone knocks such offers, I've always found that both Lidl and Aldi's quality is first class, whether it's car, computer, gardening etc products.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - OldSock
Nowt wrong at all with Lidl/Aldi, Stu! I appreciate many of their continental-sourced deli items which have not been subjected to the British flavour-removal process. Can't resist a good rummage through the central hardware/household bins, either. Several times I've come away with things I never knew I needed :-)

£20 for a pair of bulbs, eh? However did we manage without them before?

Considering the 50p extra production cost, the manufacturers must be laughing all the way to the bank!
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Group B
£20 for a pair of bulbs, eh? However did we manage without them before?

One of the motoring magazines thinks they are worth buying: snipurl.com/1snfv

The extra expense is worth it IMO, I think I will get some; my headlights are not very bright as standard and I daily do a bit of driving on unlit roads. Bulbs such as these should last over a year whereas £20 worth of diesel does not last me 5 days.

I've currently got some cheaper brand '50% brighter' ones but they are not good IMO. I had to buy them in an emergency and they're not as good as the Osram Silver Stars I had before. I later found that mine were slated in a test, partly for dazzle, so it sounds like more light is going into other peoples eyes than onto the road where I want it.

I've received an email this morning advertising new Osram Night Breaker bulbs, which are claimed to be, wait for it... 90% brighter than standard halogens. I wonder how they will compare.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 24/10/2007 at 19:12

i feel the £20 is worth it for the extra saftey when driving

i once hit a old silencer that was laying in the road because i didnt see it soon enough in the dark

if you run a older car ( or maybe any car for that matter) its worth testing to see if you get battery voltage at the bulbs, a 1volt differance makes a big differance. if you suffer a voltage drop you can fit a pair of relays quiet easily for a few £
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Clanger
Just fitted a pair of Night Breakers to the motor bike. The output astonished me so much that I turned off the A1 on the way home last night just to find some unlit bendy roads to see if they were that good. I think they are. I'm impressed. However, I haven't tried the 50% better bulbs so there was bound to be a significant difference.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Dynamic Dave
sounds perfect for dazzling pedestrians
I'll get my coat..........

And I'll get my torch!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/10/2007 at 19:58

Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - barchettaman
I´ve got a set of the 50% Osram brighter ones, I think.
They make the most difference on full beam. But full beam was fine before. Bit of a waste of space, I won´t be replacing them with similars when they pop. But I´ll keep an eye our for the Lidl/Aldi offers.
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Stuartli
I bought a couple of the Halfords own brand 50% extra headlamp bulbs on a BOGOF offer a year last winter (£12.99 for the pair).

They certainly did/do make a noticeable difference, particularly on dipped beam.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - RichardW
This type of bulb is necessary in a Xantia - the lights are so rubbish with standard bulbs. I had Phillips Vision plus in my previous one - lasted more than 60k, so can't be that bad. The lights in my 'new' MK11 Xantia are much better, but I am going to have a punt at some of the those 80% jobbies - I drive 300 miles a week in the dark on mostly unlit country roads in the winter - I need all the light I can get!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - FotheringtonThomas
Lidl/Aldi offers

Headlight Bulbs - Set of 2

Choose from twin packs of 12V bulbs:
- H1 blue or H1+50%
- H4 blue or H4+50%
- H7 blue or H7+50%

£2.99 per set.

tinyurl.com/3cqg97
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Falkirk Bairn
SQ
Advertised BUT they never made it to our local Lidl branch

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 04/11/2007 at 19:36

Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - rogue-trooper
I take it that these Xtreme 80% are still not as bright as Xenon or are they close to it?
I've just fitted a pair of the Osram Night breaker +90% to the dip lights in my Xantia (Phillips +80% not available in H1). They are nothing less than spectacular - not as bluey white as HID lamps, but very very bright - the overall effect is nearly as good as the HID lamps on my mates Primera. Given that I drive 300 miles a week in the dark on largely unlit country roads for 1/3 of the year this is £25 extremely well spent IMO!
--
RichardW

Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Mr.Tee43
Do these bulbs have an adverse effect on the plastic headlight fronts that are prevalent on many modern cars ?
Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - SlidingPillar
My understanding of the rules on filament bulbs is you can have a certain wattage, ie 60/55 for an H4. And of that wattage, a fair chunk is actually heat energy. Since the bulbs are claimed to be legal, the light output should be more, and heat output less, ie more of the 60 watts is light etc.

If that is so, then they ought to be kinder to plastics.

On the other hand, I bought a pair of the +30% bulbes some years ago when the idea was new. Could hardly see the difference and the bulbs outlasted their guaranteed year, by about a week. Both of them! I've not bothered since as although my car is easier to change bulbs that some, I'd still rather not.
That's my understanding too - same wattage, but less energy wasted as heat.

Never had any lengevity problems with the VisionPlus I have had in 3 cars - we'll see how these night breakers get on!
--
RichardW

Anyone got the Philps x-treme 80% extra bulbs ? - Hamsafar
Sounds great, anyone tried them in main beams? I have had HIDs on last two cars, but would like the main beams to be better, tried some Visionplus and couldn't tell the difference (but could in dips on other cars).