Disposing of number plates - Clanger
Our Ebay special AX failed its MoT on numberplates being illegible. Having failed to identify the reg. mark properly from the seller's photo of the car, I feel the MoT man had a point. But, having replaced the plates, I now have a front and a rear number plate from a car of very little value but with current tax and MoT. How concerned should I be about disposing of the original plates? Can I just drop them in the wheelie bin, or should I take an angle grinder to them or immolate them in separate bonfires on Nov 5th?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Disposing of number plates - billy25
Just hide them in a corner of the boot (they wont take up much space) until car goes to die, that way you know exactly where they are and what they're upto! - when car dies they do also.

Billy
Disposing of number plates - mss1tw
We cut ours up and threw them away.
Disposing of number plates - Westpig
keep them for the future, (when the AX is no longer registered to you) so that you can fill up for free at the local petrol station... as so many of our countrymen seem to be doing nowadays with impunity.........:-)

why oh why don't the garages insist on pre payment of fuel? ....(sorry if the thread goes off course now)
Disposing of number plates - bell boy
doesnt anybody keep their old plates as mementos anymore? nailed on the wall over the fireplace where once stood 3 proud ducks
Disposing of number plates - Pugugly {P}
I do Bell boy,This weekend I found one off a 1987 Astra GTE that Mrs PU used to own many many moons ago.
Disposing of number plates - the original horse
put the new ones on top of the old ones, then 1, your not adding to the wheely bin 2, you dont cut your wrists trying to snap then in to two halfs and finally 3, if some one pinches the plates off the car, they may leave you a matching pair to carry on driving . smile .
Disposing of number plates - Westpig
4, will encourage the friendly local bobbies to stop and wish you good day with remarkable frequency........:-)

Disposing of number plates - bell boy
i once parked outside a police station and got a right doing for putting my new plates on top of the old ones,i cant remember why i did it actually but i got read the riot act,mind it was a very very long time ago
Disposing of number plates - J Bonington Jagworth
"doesnt anybody keep their old plates as mementos"

We do! I've even got some old Citroen badges (when they were proper cast aluminium). They were stuck on with double-sided tape and it was unbelievably difficult to remove.
Disposing of number plates - J Bonington Jagworth
"I now have a front and a rear number plate"

If they're illegible, I wouldn't have thought they were a big risk.. :-)
Disposing of number plates - Simon
Snap them in half and throw them away. Thieves don't go scouting in bins for bits of old number plates to clone cars, they can easily get any number plate they want made up without hassle.