Fiesta Cylinder Head - Chas
Hi ,
My wife`s 1986D Fiesta 1.1 looks as though the Head Gasket has blown , so I`ve got to remove the cylinder head. I can do this either by removing the manifold from the head ( 6 x rusted nuts) OR by undoing the 2 rusted nuts securing the exhaust to the manifold , and removing the head complete with the manifold attached.

The problem is that ALL the nuts are well rusted , ( after 15 years without removal ????) so 2 questions.:

1) Any advice how to remove the nuts without damaging anything.
2) Does anyone know what thread it is on the manifold studand nuts , also the thread on the exhaust nuts. ( UNC , Whitworth etc )

I am assuming that I will have to grind them off , but other suggestions welcomed.

Any other advice , tips or suggestions also welcomed.

Thanks

Chas
Re: Fiesta Cylinder Head - David Lacey
Suggest you give the two manifold to front pipe nuts a good dousing of WD40 or similar - give this time to penetrate the threads. Use a good quality 6 point socket to attempt to loosen them. The nuts/studs and bolts used on this engine are all metric 8mm(M8*1.25) or 10mm on the downpipe (M10*1.25) Leave the manifold on the cylinder head - it acts as a good lifting point when removing the head from the block. Best of luck Chas
Re: Fiesta Cylinder Head - Chas
Thanks David. Spare nuts bought from Halfords whilst manifold nuts were soaking in WD 40..Came back , undid (fairly) OK , Head gasket changed, new manifold 10mm thread nuts replaced...Job done.
Chas