Speeding prevention on the A30 - Saltrampen
I have noticed that on the new A30 dual carriageway between Bodmin to Carland Cross (Truro) that if you go faster than 70 -75mph a rumbling noise/vibration starts to come in to the car. At first I thought it was my car, but now I have noticed it in at least 3 other cars
and only on this new stretch of road. The road looks smooth, although sometimes in the right light, perhaps there are some indentations every 5-10ft maybe. But if there are they are very subtle.
Could this be a secret anti speeding measure perhaps?

Edited by Honestjohn on 16/10/2007 at 21:24

Speeding prevention? - Westpig
what speed do you need to go to have the rumble go away at the top end of the spectrum..:-)
Speeding prevention? - Lud
what speed do you need to go to have the rumble go away at the
top end of the spectrum..:-)

On Saharan dirt roads vehicle suspensions gradually beat the surface into a fairly tight wave pattern that the French call 'tole ondulee', corrugated iron. It is very uncomfortable to drive over in (say) a Land Rover or other 4wd car at low speeds, but at around 50mph or a bit more the whole thing smooths out miraculously as the car skates along the tops of the waves without hitting the troughs.

The only problem is that adhesion is then much reduced, so sudden manoeuvres become much more risky... :o)

Speeding prevention? - Westpig
I know you're right Lud....... few years back i had a safari holiday in Kenya.. the driver of the minbus was doing 80km/h on a dirt track road that was unbeliveably pot holed and rutted.

I thought the dash was going to come off at one point, but the actual ride comfort was fairly serene really
Speeding prevention? - Lud
Don't suppose you did any backroad travel in Matatus Westpig? Plywood box built over the bed of a Peugeot 404 pickup, with plexiglass windows. Carried up to 14 passengers with chickens, yams, typewriters (in my case) etc., and would barrel down laterite tracks at 80 mph (not kph) in reasonable comfort, swaying soporifically from side to side.

Despite the skill and delicacy displayed by the drivers though, I sometimes break into a cold sweat at the retrospective thought of all those people and their luggage and the plywood scattered down 300 yards of red earth and dry grass...
Speeding prevention? - Kevin
>On Saharan dirt roads..
>so sudden manoeuvres become much more risky... :o)

Sudden manoeuvres are indeed very risky on corrugated dirt roads, it usually results in the tyre sidewalls digging into the ruts and flipping you over. The most common causes where I lived in Namibia were swerving to avoid wildlife and front tyre blowouts which are much more common and spectacular on dirt roads.

>thought of all those people and their luggage and the plywood scattered down 300 yards of red earth

I still read the online version of The Namibian fairly regularly and it's always the same story -
"Overloaded Hi-Ace overturns leaving 8 dead and 14 injured - Transport Minister promises clampdown on unroadworthy taxis". I think Alastair Campbell must be doing lecture tours over there.

On a brighter note (and thank-you for reminding me): I used to love driving on corrugated dirt roads especially in the crossply-shod company RWD pickups. As you say, the technique is to keep enough speed to skim across the crests or you'll turn your insides to jelly. Going into corners you have to turn in gently and early then let it drift before straightening out and hitting the gas. Brilliant fun.

Kevin...

PS. My wife once grabbed an old Chrysler Valiant (it was the only auto available) from the car pool to deliver some haggis to the Country Club for that night's Burns Night celebrations. The road down to the club was badly corrugated and she didn't want to damage the poor haggis so she drove very slowly.
When she got back to the car it wouldn't start so she asked one of the managers to take a look before she called for another car. He popped the hood and pulled a few wires before declaring that he couldn't see anything wrong.

"Should the battery really be there, she asked?" pointing to an empty tray and the battery hanging from one of it's cables.
Speeding prevention? - fordprefect
It is very uncomfortable to drive over at low speeds, but at around 50mph or a bit more the whole thing smooths out miraculously

As I recall there was a section of road in "The Wages of Fear" where the trucks of nitroglycerine had to go fast enough over the corrugations not to set it off.
Ideal job for boy racers and chavs with 1000 watt stereo systems I would think (if in a remote area with no other inhabitants.)
Speeding prevention? - Saltrampen
Top end speed - perhaps less noticable above 85mph, but the police have some favourite laybys on this stretch of road.
Speed Cushions on the A30 - carl233
I was amazed that after a trip down to Cornwall that 'traffic calming' speed cushions have been fitted on the A30 trunk road between Penzance and Lands End. You may expect these perhaps on minor side roads in built up areas but not in a rural location. As luck would have it I was in low slung car and did not want to pass over these and as a result had to take a significant detour to avoid them. It is kind of ironic that the detour route was via a number of small villages and single track roads as a result of these traffic calming measures it caused me to add an additional 20 or so miles to the clock.

{moved into the ongoing thread - it spent some time in the BR version of cyberspace for a couple of hours, my fault...sitting on the naughty step as we speak.}

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 17/10/2007 at 00:23