1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - gw99
Hi

I've just replaced the timing belt on a 1995 Punto 55. That went OK - timing marks lined up etc, but although the engine turns over OK, it will not fire.

Any ideas, please!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 15/10/2007 at 23:45

1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - bell boy
what did you do with the wire that goes over the top of the cam belt cover/

There were 2 wires - I just moved them to one side then put them back where they were.
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - bell boy
one of the cables goes to the crank senser you need this to be working for the sparks to spark ,check the senser isnt damaged
have you confirmed you have a spark?
do you have compression?
have you put the belt on right?
is the key light going out on the dash ok? on cranking
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - injection doc
Have you put crank pulley back in correct position?
The crankshaft sensor looks OK and the gap's within spec.
There's compression and spark.
The key light goes out when ignition is on.
The tdc marks on crank and camshaft were aligned and the markings on the new belt were aligned. Is that what you mean by correct position?
I think I remember the timing marks ( notches) for TDC sensor are on the pulley.There is a gap & thats the reference point for the sensor . If its in the wrong position you will get a spark but the timing will be out. The pulley can go on in more than one position throwing the timing completely out
The crank pulley will only go on in one position. There's a spark and fuel and the valve timing seems OK. It does look like the ignition timing may be out, but I can't see why!
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - Kingpin
Are you 100% certain the timing is right, is can sometimes be 180 degrees out but the timing marks still seem to line up.
Check that it is at Top dead centre for piston 1 (usual the marks show this is the firing point) by taking out the plug of cylinder 1 (nearest timing belt?) and put your thumb or finger over plug hole. With socket on bottom crank pulley hand turn engine over, you should feel compression in cylinder 1 when piston coming up and then see if the camshaft mark is in line and also the crank bottom pulley timing mark are lined up. If they aren't then it's out obviously. This way you can be sure it's timed up right. Next I would check HT leads are on right order then look at the sensors and electrical.
There is compresssion on piston 1 when the tdc marks are lined up and the HT leads are OK. I'm beginning to think there's an electrical failure somewhere. Disconnecting the battery may have revealed(?) it.
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - Screwloose
gw

So you have a spark and compression; do you have any fuel being injected?

Does the fuel pump run? Checked the inertia switch?
is it he fiat engine or the FIRE engine as it could be iether?. If its the old style fiat engine I have an idea
Doc
If its the FIRE engine which it should be I trust you are lining up the camshaft timing mark horizontally across the engine & to the rear, not vertical & have you checked the TDC mark on flywheel just inside bell housing?
Doc
Screwloose - yep, there's fuel coming thru.

Doc - I thought all 1108cc engines were FIRE engines. The timing marks are all lined up as per Haynes and the flywheel markings tally. Does it matter if its not a FIRE engine?
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - Another John H
Punto 55 will be 1108 FIRE, unless somebody has been messing.

There are some suitable timing mark photos on the FIAT forum here:

tinyurl.com/2pnxvw

Are you sure the spark plug leads are back on the correct coils/plugs?
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - MerlinTec
Hi
Can?t remember if it?s this engine or not but I have had this, the key way brakes and although the timing marks line up the crank is in the wrong position.
So you have fuel and spark but the plugs are wet like it?s over fuelling.
Regards,
Simon
Hi Screwloose, I have delt with some south african imports that have still had the old engine & the reason I asked is that they had a jack shaft running the dizzy & was very easy to let that one slip round!
Doc
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - greatspirit
Hi,
Sounds as tho' everything has been done carefully; however there are many connections to redo after HG change most likely thing is one has been missed or not pushed home.
Let us know how you get on
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - Javalin
assuming its like the 75sx - then check the crank pully has been put back in the correct place. Its keyed to go in a particular position - for the crank sensor. (i've done two belts on the 75sx and put it back in the wrong place both times :-( Doh. Easy fix though.

Symptoms if this is wrong is it'll crank a bit then sound like its full of fluids.

Appologies if this has been said already in the thread.

J
1995, 55, will not start after timing belt change - seb02
gw99,, im having the same problem with my punto after a HG change, did u solve the problem??

seb