Overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - Surrey_Scientist
Hi everyone

I'm restoring an old bicycle, and have started respraying with "smoothrite" aerosol.

I did what it said on the tin, and overpainted 3 or 4 coats within 15min intervals.

First few coats went on nicely, nice shiny smooth finish then the last coat has ended up all pockmarked as if someone has been over it putting tiny pinholes in it.

(A) Why has this happened - what is wrong with my technique

(B) can I overpaint it if it has been left for a week to cure ? The original brush-smothrite had to be left min. 6 weeks before overpainting otherwise it went al crinkly underneath and you had to completely strip back to bare metal again.

P.S. My aerosol can says "New Formula" ?? !

Left as a standalone post, is it Tech ? is it IHAQ ?, well a bike's got wheels !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 15/10/2007 at 22:46

Overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - bell boy
the very reason i stopped using hammerite 20 years+ ago
i always put it down to oil contamination
it could be silicon in the air
it could be due to chemicals in the paint not fully curing and the more paint you put on the first coat finds it harder to cure itself
if it was normal paint i would call it fish eyes and normaly in a paint enviroment you can add a fish eye protector (a drop for a can full of paint would do) i kid yee not
Overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - J Bonington Jagworth
I think all you can do is leave it until it's good and hard (at least a fortnight) and then rub down to remove the pockmarks* and add a couple of coats with more than 15 minutes between.

*Depends how deep they are, of course. It may be simpler to start again!

BTW, I'd mention it to Finnegans/Hammerite. The worst they can do is ignore you, but you might get lucky.

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 16/10/2007 at 10:42

Overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - Gromit {P}
The Hammerite brand is part of ICI, so should have the backing of a good customer support office.

Their website, www.hammerite.com/uk lists their contact details as:

Hammerite Products
ICI Paints PLC
Customer Care Centre
Wexham Road
Slough
Berkshire
SL2 5DS
Telephone: 0870 444 11 11

Better ring them than submit a query through the website, as the person you speak to can redirect you to the technical people if necessary. I've been pleasantly surprised at how helpful such support services are compared to your typical consumer goods company.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2007 at 17:47

Overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - Hamsafar
I don't know for sure, but poor overpaintability seems to be a Hammerite watchword.