Rear wheel bearing - lose hub - csgmart
I replaced the rear brake shoes on my Polo in about June/July of this year. In July the car passed it's MOT without any issues.

For the past week or two I have become aware of a droning noise which I took to be possibly a wheel bearing on it's way out. I took the opportunity today (whilst performing an oil change) to jack the rear of the car up and examine each wheel for any play or 'grumbling' and was shocked to find that the drivers side rear had massive play e.g. I could rock it quite far - approx 1 or 2 cms - more than just slight movement. I whipped the wheel and brake drum off to find that the hub nut was lose (but the split pin was still fully in position).

I took the pin and nut off and examined the bearing for wear- nothing too bad, no pitting etc.

I've put the whole thing back together and tightend it all up so there is now no play at all - the wheel spins nice an freely with no noises etc.

It was obviously OK at the time the MOT was performed - just puzzled as to how/why the hub became so lose?

I had this once before on a front wheel bearing on a Mini. I would tighten the nut up - lock it off and the thing would still become completely lose after a few miles. Only a new bearing sorted it out.

Any ideas? I will replace the bearing anyway as it's only about a fiver for a new bearing and a really easy job.
Rear wheel bearing - lose hub - Civic8
If the nut was loose on the thread I would suspect the nut has stretched so I would replace it as soon as possible as it will do it again and soon
OK - I understand about the nut stretching but cannot see how it would 'come lose' as it effectively locked in place by the split pin and so cannot turn in either direction.

Still puzzled - but will replace as a matter of urgency.
Rear wheel bearing - lose hub - Civic8
The nut doesn't have to turn,it jumps thread/s
Rear wheel bearing - lose hub - catcher
As well as above there is the possibility that when you replaced the brake shoes the outer race of the bearing wasn't fully located into the hub, you tightened the nut to the correct torque (which isn't that tight as the washer should still be movable) thinking it was OK but once it's been running it's bedded in properly and created the movement.
Ah - I see. Yes can understand that could happen.

I will replace the bearing anyway just to be safe - probably haven't done it much good running all lose and with all that play.