Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - BobL
It used to be the case that if you took your car in for an MOT a month early and you took the old MOT with you, the testing station could issue you with potentally 13 months of MOT. Is this still the case with computerised MOT`s. Also would the same apply for a car which is 35 months old taken for an MOT. Would it also get 13 months MOT?
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - rtj70
Still the case - did it on one of our cars recently.

But I do not think you can do this for a car approaching 3 years old - there is no MOT. Who've to say the car is actually roadworthy at the moment let alone 12 months ago.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - normd2
yes, if it has a current MOT you can have it tested up to four weeks in advance of the expiry date and the time will be added on to the new MOT. A nearly three year old car won't be eligible for this as it won't have a current MOT.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - bathtub tom
I had my car MOT'd just before it was three years old, but I took along the V5 just in case, I don't recall needing it. The MOT expired on it's fourth birthday. So I'd say yes you can.

There'd be an awful lot of cars needing Sept. 1st appointments otherwise.
You can MOT a car that's approaching 3 years old early but you will not get the remaining time added on. I think that's what the OP was asking.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - gmac
I had the first MOT done on my car mid-September, MOT was due 29th. New MOT expires 29th Sept. 2008. Certificate in my case is good for twelve and a half months.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - bathtub tom
Thanks for backing me up there gmac.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Dynamic Dave
You can MOT a car that's approaching 3 years old early but you will not get the remaining time added on.

If you provide the V5C log book to prove date of first registration, you will.
I learn something every day. Only newer cars I've had have been company ones. When the two I've had for more 3 years needed an MOT I obviously did not have the V5C.

But Leaseplan started pestering me to get the first MOT 4 months before it was due. In the end I think I got it two months early to please them... and then second MOT was needed and again they wanted it months early. So overall they lost 4 months of MOT and could have been more had I known it was not needed.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Falkirk Bairn
But Leaseplan started pestering me to get the first MOT 4 months before it was
due. In the end I think I got it two months early to please them...
and then second MOT was needed and again they wanted it months early. So overall
they lost 4 months of MOT and could have been more had I known it
was not needed.

High mileage lease cars MoTd early will stand a better chance of getting thru. When the car is changed at 3 years (say) it might still have 8/10 mths left - many trade buyers look to having longer MoT so they can sell on without risking having to do work.

The punter is told the car has 8/10 mths MoT left which is OK to most of us, less than 6 mths the punter will want a new MoT and perhaps incur expense for the tarder.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - GregSwain
My mum's just had her 54-reg Almera MOTd. It was first registered on the 16th of October, and the MOT expires on the 16th of October. Tester said that with the new computerised system the expiry date is automatically set.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Geordie1
You can submit a vehicle for an MOT test within a month of the expiry date of the current 12 months period whereafter ( if it passes the test) the date on the new certificate will begin from the date of expiry. Therefore the vehicle must have a current MOT certificate in force which precludes the OP's vehicle if it is 35 months old and has never previously been subjected to an MOT test.

There is now no requirement to produce the current certificate as all details are held on the VOSA computerised database in respect of the new style certificates.

Edited by Geordie1 on 10/10/2007 at 18:18

Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - bell boy
indeed correct Geordie1 ive had a couple of 13 months mot"s in the last 4 weeks whereas before i had to take in the old electronic type certificate and it still caused problems
you cant beat computators once the valves are warm ;-)
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Armitage Shanks {p}
I don't know what the regulations say but I took a 35 month old car for MOT, before the warranty expired so that snags could be fixed if covered by it, and got an MOT Cert which runs to the date that the car is 48 months old. It was tested early BUT the cert runs from Month 36 to Month 48 ie valid for 12 months but issued on the basis of a test done one month early
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Dwight Van Driver
Section 48 Road Traffic Act 1981:
Where?
(a) within the appropriate period after a test certificate is issued or treated for the purposes of section 47 of this Act as issued, but
(b) not earlier than one month before the end of that period,
a further test certificate is issued as respects the same vehicle, the further certificate shall be treated for the purposes of that section as if issued at the end of the appropriate period.
(3) Where the particulars contained in a test certificate in accordance with regulations made under section 45 of this Act include a date of expiry falling later, but not more than one month later, than the end of the appropriate period after the date on which it is issued?
(a) the certificate shall be deemed to have been issued in respect of the same vehicle as an earlier test certificate, and
(b) the date on which it was issued shall be deemed to have been a date falling within the last month of the appropriate period after the date on which that earlier certificate was issued or treated for the purposes of section 47 of this Act as issued;
and any date of expiry contained in a test certificate shall be deemed to have been entered in accordance with regulations under section 45 of this Act unless the contrary is proved.

Cannot find the authority for a vehicle to be submitted for its first test earlier that the date one is required and forward dated. Ealier this year I submitted mine before the 3 years were up and the computor generated Certificate covers nearly 13 months to date and month of first reg. Must be an amending SI but haven't found it.
dvd
(Tried posting this last night - HJ system server down)
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - horatio
I would imagine this bit "or treated for the purposes of section 47 of this Act as issued" is referring to new cars which for the first 3 years have an automatic MOT or MOT exclusion.

"not earlier than one month before the end of that period"

That "period" for new cars is 36 months.

As usual the legislation is horribly worded, and they could take a few lessons from the likes of Campaign for clear English.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Galaxy
If you put a car in for a new MOT test within the last month of expiry of the existing MOT and it fails the test, are you allowed to carry on using the vehicle on the old MOT which is about to expire?

Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Mapmaker
198*8* DVD, took me some time to find this as a result. s47 confirms.

47 Obligatory test certificates
(1) A person who uses on a road at any time, or causes or permits to be so used, a motor vehicle to which this section applies, and as respects which no test certificate has been issued within the appropriate period before that time, is guilty of an offence.

In this section and section 48 of this Act, the ?appropriate period? means a period of twelve months or such shorter period as may be prescribed.

(2) Subject to subsections (3) and (5) below, the motor vehicles to which this section applies at any time are?

(a) those first registered [under the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 or any corresponding earlier legislation], not less than three years before that time, and

(b) those which, having a date of manufacture not less than three years before that time, have been used on roads (whether in Great Britain or elsewhere) before being [so registered],

being, in either case, motor vehicles other than goods vehicles which are required by regulations under section 49 of this Act to be submitted for a goods vehicle test.

(3) As respects a vehicle being?

(a) a motor vehicle used for the carriage of passengers and with more than eight seats, excluding the driver's seat, or

(b) a taxi (as defined in section 64(3) of the Transport Act 1980), being a vehicle licensed to ply for hire, or

(c) an ambulance, that is to say, a motor vehicle which is constructed or adapted, and primarily used, for the carriage of persons to a place where they will receive, or from a place where they have received, medical or dental treatment, and which, by reason of design, marking or equipment is readily identifiable as a vehicle so constructed or adapted,

subsection (2)(a) above shall have effect as if for the period there mentioned there were substituted a period of one year.

[(4) For the purposes of subsection (2)(b) above there shall be disregarded?

(a) the use of a vehicle before it is sold or supplied by retail, and

(b) the use of a vehicle to which a motor dealer has assigned a mark under [section 24 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994] before it is registered by the Secretary of State under [section 21(2)] of that Act.]

(5) This section does not apply to vehicles of such classes as may be prescribed.

(6) The Secretary of State may by regulations exempt from subsection (1) above the use of vehicles for such purposes as may be prescribed.

(7) The Secretary of State may by regulations exempt from subsection (1) above the use of vehicles in any such area as may be prescribed.

(8) For the purposes of this section the date of manufacture of a vehicle shall be taken to be the last day of the year during which its final assembly is completed, except where after that day modifications are made to the vehicle before it is sold or supplied by retail, and in that excepted case shall be taken to be the last day of the year during which the modifications are completed.

(9) The Secretary of State may by order made by statutory instrument direct that subsection (2) above shall have effect with the substitution, for three years (in both places), of such other period (not being more than ten years) as may be specified in the order.

An order under this subsection shall not have effect unless approved by resolution of each House of Parliament.

Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Dwight Van Driver
Oblgd,.

galaxy.

Yes you can BUT providing the defect is such that it does not contravene Con and Use?Traffic Regs in which cause you can be reported for those offences.

dvd
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Galaxy
DVD,

Many thanks, I understand.

Galaxy
Mapmaker wrote:
"198*8* DVD, took me some time to find this as a result. s47 confirms."

Confirms what? Does an MOT taken and passed in the 35th month run from the 36th month or the date of the test?
A 35 month old car does not, in law, need an MOT so I guess you could not get a certificate for one. I had a car tested in Month 36, to check if there were any warranty issues, and was give a 12 month certificate covering months 37 to 48 inclusive
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - dxp55
I always take mine in a month early - wife's Yaris passed yesterday and MOT is due 7/10/07 -mine is due in next week - this always gives me a month to correct any faults if it fail's

Dave

"Confirms what? Does an MOT taken and passed in the 35th month run from the 36th month or the date of the test?"

I think it's obvious what I meant but just so there is no confusion that should read

"Confirms what? Does an MOT taken and passed after the 35th month (during the 36th month) run from the end of 36th month (the cars registration date anniversary) or the date of the test?"

Test taken in the calendar month before it is due. Passes. Certificate issued for 12 months starting on the day the test became due ie the car's 3rd birthday.
Armitage,

With respect, I know that is what happened to you, but there have been people in this thread who have said the opposite, and no-one has yet posted up the relevant regulation which allows what happened to you - Not as far as I can see.

I'd just like to see where it says that in the MOT handbook.
Horatio, I got my MOT at a major independent servicing centre, and I assume they know the rules. The computer would not permit them to enter illegal or incorrect dates, I think. I suggest that anybody who can't get their first MOT done in the calendar month before it is due, the same as you can when the car is 4,5,6,7 years old has been misinformed. To go right back to OP's question - you can't get a 13 month MOT but you can get a 12 month MOT issued one month early.
Seems to be conflicting info on cars that are 35 months being submitted for an Mot and getting what is effectively a13 Month Mot certificate. I will take mine down shortly along with the V5 and report back what happens
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Dynamic Dave
BobL,

You won't have any problems. My previous two cars were 2 yrs, 11 months old when taken for their first MOT. Both were given a 13 month ticket. Same also for my Dad's car as well.
Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - martint123
VOSA's site is so difficult to navigate since it's redesign. Found this elsewhere.

forms.boston.gov.uk/ShowForm.asp?fm_fid=481

An MOT can be carried out at any time.
If the vehicle is presented for test within the calendar month prior to the date that the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate (e.g. if the current certificate was due to expire on 1/4/03, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2/3/03, the certificate would run from the test date until 1/4/04). To have this extension, the vehicle owner should present their old certificate to the Test Station to verify that the extra time is applicable. The tester would then write the serial number of the old certificate in the appropriate section of the new certificate.

The same rule would also apply if the vehicle was taken in within a calendar month of its first MOT. In this case, the vehicle owner would need to present their registration document and the serial number from this document will be entered in the "last certificate serial number" box on the MOT.

Mot - can you still get 13 months MOT - Cliff Pope
That seems to clear it up then.

But notice that the first paragraph of the VOSA rules refers to "within the calendar month PRIOR to the date ..." whereas the second paragraph only says "within a calendar month".
So there is still the ambiguity that it might simply be dealing with cases where someone has forgotten the first MOT and has the test up to a month LATE.
That might just be a mistake in the wording, or it might indicate a subtle distinction.
An update. I took my Scenic in for MOT the middle of October, (remember it was first register beginning of Nov 04) The MOT expiry is now beginning of Nov 2008. So you can effectively get up to 13 months MOT. I did not have to produce the v5 nor did I ask for the extra period. The tester said it was all computerised anyway