Web & phone insurance differences - Nsar
Just a word to the wise....was insuring the car for our au pair and got a quote on line from Direct Line, but the questions you have to answer on-line seemed a little vague so I called them to make absolutely sure that what I wanted to buy was what they were offering (some insurance companies regard au pairs as employees and require you to have full business use, others recognise that an au pair is effectively a family member).

At this point they told me that their policy with young drivers is that they require them to be the registered owner of the car and if I wasn't prepared to re-register the car in the au pair's name they wouldn't insure them. They admitted this wasn't their web-policy which makes me wonder how many people buy on-line and unwittingly are effectively uninsured.

Ended up going through Confused (as they have specific questions about au pairs, to buy from MoreThan, again with a call to check cover before buying)
Web & phone insurance differences - gmac
Or you could just buy the au pair a bus pass and reduce her carbon footprint :)

I'm always amazed at insurance companies and how little detail they actually give you up front. Half of them when asked a direct question will not give you a straight answer.
Web & phone insurance differences - jbif
"At this point they told me that their policy with young drivers is that they require them to be the registered owner of the car "

Yes, it is very confusing. I don't know how you can be registered as an owner. Keeper yes, but owner?
Directline state on their web site that their insurance is for the owner or the partner of the owner. They do not use the word keeper on their FAQs page. They say they will consider making an exception for a company car not owned by you, and ask you to phone for details.

At least Morethan make it clear that their policy covers owners or registered-keepers.

Most other such "value" insurance policies stipulate that the main policyholder, or partner at the same address, has to be either the owner or the registered-keeper.