Displaying a tax disc - L'escargot
I'm aware that you can't renew a tax disc earlier than the 15th of the month in which your current licence expires but how early (in practice) can the new disc be displayed? DVLA literature says you must display a valid tax disc, which means the changeover must in theory be carried out at 00:00 hours on the first day of the new disc. This seems very rigid and I think it's unlikely that many people will comply. Since the new disc has to be obtained in advance there's scope for it getting mislaid unless it's attached to the windscreen immediately upon receipt. What do you do?
--
L\'escargot.
Displaying a tax disc - commerdriver
I always put the disc in the window as soon as I get it, can't believe that even the most officious official would seriously try to make something of it.
Displaying a tax disc - bell boy
just dispay it when you get it if its on a rolling tax.
i taxed a car a week last thursday when the new month was on the monday and asked if i could run this car from the thursday, dvla office advised me no because the car was NOT already taxed .
Displaying a tax disc - normd2
a tax disc just has an expiry date on it - there isn't a 'valid from' date so you can display it from the 15th of the proceeding month onwards. Therefore you could have two perfectly vaild discs on display for a couple of weeks. Not sure what an officious official would make of that tho'
Displaying a tax disc - Dwight Van Driver
Disagree.

Technically speaking in displaying the 'new'disc before time over the old disc you are not displaying a 'valid' disc for the duty on the new disc only starts at the beginning of the month not 15 days beforehand.

Whether or not the 'new'disc which is not valid until the start of the month could be classed as displaying a coloured imitation (offence) is debatable.

In reality all they are intrested in is that the revenue has been paid to they will leave alone and let you get on.

dvd
Displaying a tax disc - runboy
Agree DVD e.g. you buy your neighbours SORN motor in the middle of October, buy a RFL to run from November and bung it on the screen on the 15th Oct. You would get away with not buying the disc to run from Oct to Oct.

However wouldn't the DVLA catch up with you when they realised the SORN ended in the middle of Oct yet the RFL run from Nov to Nov?
Displaying a tax disc - Lud
It should be a show on request to person in authority thing like a driving licence.

Then we could flash it really quickly, just long enough for the person in authority to see what it was but not long enough for them to read any of the details.

I have always longed to do this to a plainclothes policeman just to get my own back for the way they flash their warrant cards for about a fifth of a second, as if ashamed of what one might see if one read the thing.
Displaying a tax disc - normd2
you can only buy it on the 15th if it is currently taxed. If it's on SORN or simply not taxed your new disc would be for all of the month.
Displaying a tax disc - henry k
Therefore you could have two perfectly vaild discs on display for a couple of weeks.

>>
Exactly!
lt is not rocket science. It is a small length of sellotape.
It is used to stick the new tax disc alongside the existing one.
This ensures that the new disc is not lost and a valid disc is on display until the end of the month AND at 00:00 at the start of the next month.

Now all is left is the difficult bit!!
Remembering to put the new disc in the normal holder BEFORE the sellotape fails and the onerous task of ensuring no sticky is left on this critical part of the windscreen.
Not sure what an officious official would make of that tho'

>>
A double take ???? ;-0

Displaying a tax disc - wazza
I have a spare tax disc holder which is held to the windscreen by good old honest spit. When i get my new tax disc i put it into my spare disc holder and stick it to the windscreen next to the old one. Get strange glances when people see i have two tax discs displayed.

When the old one expires, take out the new tax disc from the spare holder and put it into the normal tax disc holder. The spare disc holder then hibernates in the glovebox till next year