Auction prices...approx idea before going - legacylad
I have decided which car I want next, but have no idea what I can expect to pay at auction!
I have looked carefully at the Vauxhall website which gives Glass's part exchange values, and the model I am after is not listed on www.smag.co.uk for sales/prices realised within the past month.
As a rule of thumb, could I expect to pay 10% less at auction than the above mentioned Vauxhall website part/ex values, plus of course commissions and fees?
Oh...its going to be a late model Civic type S circa 2004/04.
Thanks for any guidance

Auction prices...approx idea before going - pd
PX minus 5-10% would be a reasonable starting point although to be honest without CAP or Glasses in your hand plus a knowledge of whether the particular car you are after is fetching book, below or above at the moment you'll never really know whether you got it at a sensible price or not.

Best approach is to work out what it is worth to you and forget the rest. Don't forget the fees which IMO are horrendous for non account holders at most major auctions.
Thanks pd
Yes I know the fees are horrendous for non account holders, which is why my prefered purchase route is privately. If I allow 10% off part/ex values for the auction price, add in fees, then I should have a ballpark figure. The search goes on....and what Honda main dealers are asking is not for me.
Auction prices...approx idea before going - adverse camber
there's always the auction buyers.

the problem with private is people want to overvalue their cars - esp. if they can see the same thing on a main dealer forecourt
Looking through the Manheim and BCA lists it doesn't look as if there are many Type-S bargains around - most seem to be fetching over book.

Auctions have been stupidly expensive the last couple of months - more than you'd pay from private or ebay sellers for many models - but as we go into autumn the prices should soften.

That's the problem with trying to buy one particular model at auction (unless it's a very common one). You can waste days and then travel 100 miles to find the car you've gone to see is a dog or when it gets to the ring two private buyers bid it to more than a local dealer would sell it.

If you start from a reasonably wide model/age/mileage requirement which covers several examples you'll stand a much better chance of getting a decent car at a decent price.
I've just had a quick look for you as to what is out there at auction. BCA have two Type-S models coming up - one at Blackbushe on the 10th and one at Paddock Wood on the 9th - both with 30-40k. Manheim have one at Washington on the 10th with 60k.

The vast majority of Civics with both are 1.7 CDTi's.
Thanks for the info pd
I shall ring the two BCA sites and find out the year and colour. I am being a bit picky...then I shall try and find someone to bid for me!