i-VTEC valve clearances ? - Pendlebury
I am currently in recovery after paying for my 2nd dealer service on the Accord and have a question I should have asked the dealer at the time.
Check no. 18 on the service schedule is to inspect and adjust the valve clearances.
Can I assume that the vtec engines do not have hydraulic tappets/valves as on most other cars nowadays.
I would appreciate some of your wisdom guys as I don't know any other make that requires valve adjustments in this day and age.
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - nortones2
Assuming its the 2 litre petrol, there are no hydraulic tappets. Feeler gauges required:)
2.4 so probably the same.
Infact looking at the service checklist all models except S2000 & NSX need it after either 25K or 62.5K.

I wonder why they did not go for hydraulic self adjustment ?
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - bell boy
I wonder why they did not go for hydraulic self adjustment ?

probably cos they would jack up on this type of ingine
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - Number_Cruncher
>>I wonder why they did not go for hydraulic self adjustment ?

It would be rather difficult to combine hydraulic tappets with the VTEC system - how would you switch between cams?

Number_Cruncher
Maybe Dox was right on the pratplate thread - I should have bought a Kia.

As you say NC - how could it switch cams.
I notice the Toyota vvti system also needs valve adjustments every 60k
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - Bill Payer
This job has to be done even on the Jazz. Apparently though they rarely actually need adjustment - it's such a pain of a job if it was any other make than Honda I seriously doubt that they'd actually do it, unless they sounded noisy.

There are various description of the job on the web, here's the first one a Google search found:
www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=618786
By the way, Honda say that, at least on Jazz, this method allows much tighter control of the valve clearances than hydraulic, and contributes towards the cars good fuel economy.
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - Statistical outlier
I've just found out that this is needed on my Accord Diesel's 50k service, and contributes about £70 to the cost, bring the total toa rather eye watering £340.

Interestingly, the dealer that I used for my car's 25k service doesn't appear to have checked them, despite the fact that they should have. Apparently the car has to be stone cold, so left overnight, to do the job. It wasn't, and no item on the bill.

Same dealer also charged for wrong oil (but said it was the right one when they checked service book) at 12.5k service, and then overfilled by 2 litres on the 37.5 service. When I realised about 2.5k later, they refused to pay to have the oil changed, leaving the dealer I'd gone to in London to very kindly pick up the bill.

Given they have also failed to fix several very minor things when asked, I'm going elsewhere this time. I'm not sure I'm allowed to name the dealer in question, so I won't, but I can be contacted via mods if anyone's interested. General area is Brum.
I have to be honest and questioned myself if it had actually been done.
I could not see any evidence of spanner marks on the engine covers but then if you use the right socket maybe you wouldn't.
The car has only done 10K in 2 years so I doubt it needed it.
The car was certainly not left over night with the dealer and I have no way of proving if they did it or not.
The service schedule actually says that they need doing every 25K and does not mention 2 years like it does with all other checks.
I think I have just convinced myself they didn't do it - but like I say can't prove it one way or the other and need to take their word - after all I'm sure a main dealer would not lie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - Xileno {P}
Valve clearances? Grease nipples and contact breaker points as well I suppose...
I have to be honest and questioned myself if it had actually been done.

On our Jazz, plugs (8 of them) and valve clearances are also done at 25K, which in our case was at 4yrs. So the 2yr service was a bit cheaper (though of course not by as much as one would have thought).

I discussed with the Service advisor whether it really needing doing and he was adamant that they should be checked. He also said that changing the plugs involves a fair bit of dismantling etc so the mechanic would be halfway there.

I have an engineering background and I have to say that I'm extremely dubious that the cam cover has been off. The fastenings are unmarked and the accumulated dust is still on the cover, apparently undisturbed. That said, I the glove box contents looked undisturbed too, but sure enough they had changed the pollen filter (which required the shelf in the glove box to be removed).
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - George Porge
Oh dear, is the Honda dealer networks halo slipping ;oO

On another forum a honda owner has a (copied and pasted Pendlebury ;o)) 1997 Honda Civic 1.5 (sohc vtec engine 28,000 miles only) that needs a manifold / cat (one piece unit)and at the moment can only find one at the dealers for £700 plus fitting, makes me glad I own an "unrelliable VW" that I can obtain pattern parts for, not that I need any of course.

;o)
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - Ruperts Trooper
Is this normal for Japanese cars?

Should I feel glad I've got a Vauxhall that any good independent can service and fix - they're not even expensive on 40k cambelt changes?
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - sajid
i suggest that to be certain that the dealer has done the work is to mark the items to be replaced with a marker like for eg the oil filter that also chalk mark the camcover screws that way you will know its done
(copied and pasted Pendlebury ;o))

Just out of interest what do you mean by the above commentary in brackets dox - I don't undertsand.

Other than that - I love your response on owning an unreliable VW etc - good dig and one I take on the chin.
Don't take offence old bean, just a little leg pull, its you that usually copies stuff for me;o)

Any ideas where the poor chap can get a copy cat for the civic? On paper a little sweetie thats almost scrap due to a failed cat matrix :o(
i-VTEC valve clearances ? - bell boy
tinyurl.com/yrzdzk

tell hin to ring these people with full car details,they will post,the yard is unbelieavably packed with eastern goodies but you need to be known to get past the counter.
Thanks for that kind Sir, I've passed on the link :o) I trust everything is well with you and yours? Have a cyber whiskey on me ;o)