2.0TD, Oil Change grade suggestions. - LinuxGeek
My car has done 105k and I'll be servicing it sometime next week, I went to buy the oil and filters from my local car parts shop and the guy suggested 15w-40 instead of 10w-30 which is what the manual says. It said to me car has done quite a bit of mileage so I should go with the thicker oil and that's what I've bought but I'm not entirely sure about using that oil. Manual recommends 10w-30 and the winters is round the corner so I would assume thinner oil would be a better choice but I would like the advice of you experts!
Also do you guys always recommend buying the genuine filters or anything which I could get from my local car parts shop would do the job?

s
2.0TD, Oil Change - Number_Cruncher
If your car isn't burning much oil already, stick to the recommendations of the manual.

Number_Cruncher
2.0TD, Oil Change - LinuxGeek
I've just bought the car so I don't know if it burns oil. Shall I go with the recommended viscosity to start off with and if it burns the oil then I should go for thicker one or else stick with the recommendation in the manual?
2.0TD, Oil Change - LinuxGeek
I bought the Castrol GTX 10w-40 so I hope that would keep my engine happy chappy! :)