Electronic Gearbox System - GT
Bought a C4 Grand Picasso earlier in the year with EGS (Electronic Gearbox System). Does anyone have any experience of this gearbox? I don't know whether it's unique to the C4 range or other Citroens too. It is the only negative point in an otherwise very good car.
Electronic Gearbox System - Aprilia
Sounds like the stuff of nightmares to me.....!
Electronic Gearbox System - gordonbennet
I have the pleasure of having a very similar 12 speed box on my truck and i have sympathy with you cos its the gearbox from hell.
The box in your car is similar to several cars in the cit/peug range at least they are similar to operate i have to load them onto transporters and close manoevering, as you will know is a barrell of laughs.
Is there any particular reason you want to know about other fitments of this box?
Did you try the manual version, and how do you get on with the auto handbrake?
Must say very comfortable and airy vehicle though.

ttfn
Hi Gordonbennet, the reason for my post was (as you mentioned) the jerkiness of the drivetrain particularly when try to edge into parking spaces etc... where there's only a couple of inches to play with. It's impossible. And it's worse when the engine is cold - the car bunny-hops down the road! I wondered whether it was just my particular model or if this was a common "characteristic". When I test drove it, I didn't notice it - I've never included parking in test drives. Didn't want a manual g'box car so didn't consider it. This surely cannot be working correctly and I wondered if any other Citroen drivers had the same problem and whether there was anything I (we) could get Citroen to do about it.
Electronic Gearbox System - daveyjp
Apart from DSG the only other system I've had experience of is in a smart coupe, roadster and forfour and agree that on these slow speed manouvering is very difficult. The reason being the clutch doesn't engage until you apply gas, this is to stop creep when stationary, but you need to apply a fair amount of gas.

Unfortunately creep when stationary is a good thing when trying to park! DSG employs the system whereby the clutch engages as soon as the footbrake is released, so slow speed manouvering is made much easier.

The only thing which made the smart easier to drive was practice.
>>> "The only thing which made the smart easier to drive was practice."

Unfortunately, the jerkiness is getting appreciably worse as time goes by. Even when edging forward in traffic queues. Oh for a DSG or normal auto box!
Electronic Gearbox System - ablandy
had some experience on this type of box on an alfa 156 (mine) and a seicento selespeed (wifes)

Awful around town - parallel parking on a slope is ridiculous. it ended up that in certain situations on my alfa i would use the handbrake almost like a clutch (very bad practice, but was the only way to do it - especially with the poor turning circle)

with an electronic handbrake - aagh!

The only engine in the range that would have been of interest would be the bigger diesel and that only comes with the silly box, so no thanks citreon. Lets the boxes are more reliable than they were - both of ours had rather expensive repairs.

Not nice when they go wrong either. Mine went pop just before i was about to pull out at stirling corner on the a1 - could have been nasty if it failed a couple of minutes later.
Electronic Gearbox System - ablandy
add hope between lets and the boxes and that sentence makes more sense.
Electronic Gearbox System - boxsterboy
GT, I would get the dealer to check throttle/clutch settings. I've got a C4 coupe with this box and have had no problems at all - and 90% of my driving is in town. Yes, the clutch only takes up as you give it a bit of revs, but it should all be very progressive. I regularly parallel park on sloping roads, with no trouble at all.