alarm keeps going off after battery change - dodo
Today I changed the battery of my neighbour's 97 1.4 Citroen ZX for her. Alas she lost the remote fob for it several years ago and when we connected up the battery the alarm armed itself for the fiirt time in years! The car still starts/drives but the alarm goes off when you open the door/bonnet/boot most embarrassingly. Can we disconnect the alarm or reset it manually? The car is only worth a few hundred pounds so trips to dealers are to be avoided!
s
Citroen alarm keeps going off after battery change - Pugugly {P}
Someone will be along in a minute with infinitely more knowledge but weren't the PSA cars of that era fitted with a keyway under the bonnet were this irritation can be stunned into silence ?
Citroen alarm keeps going off after battery change - dodo
Good idea. Any thoughts where this mechanism might be? I can hear the alarm as I write so any more thoughts will help keep the peace!
Citroen alarm keeps going off after battery change - Pugugly {P}
Sadly no - one of the experts will be along shortly.
Citroen alarm keeps going off after battery change - RichardW
If the key switch is fitted it should be on the front RH of the slam panel - however this will only shut the alarm up, it will not disable it, and it will still go off, flashing the headlights. Since you have no remote you need to try the following:

Find the alarm cancel switch - it's on the facia to the right of the steering wheel, has a picture of crossed out speaker on it. Lock the car, then unlock it again, open the door, put the key in and turn on the ignition, then press the alarm cancel button - you need to do this within 10s of opening the door (not exactly sure on this - you might need to press the button on hold it in whilst turning the ignition on.)
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Citroen alarm keeps going off after battery change - dodo
Thanks. Worked a treat. Hold the button in while turning on the ignition cancels the alarm. A quiet neighbourhood again!