Bought a lemon! Need help! - Dan Meulebrouck
Hi
On 18 August 2007, I purchased a Range Rover Vogue 4.6 litre from a small trader/garage. The vehicle had been advertised in the press and on the net as '2001 (X) Range Rover Vogue, Air conditioning etc, full service history and 91k miles'. When test driving the car I noted the Air Con did not work and that the engine had a misfire. After discussing this with the salesman he told me that these issues were known to him and they would be fixed before I collected the car. I asked to see the vehicles V5 and service history, but was told they were off site but the history was fully upto date and complete. The car was sol;d with a one year parts and labour warranty.
When I collected the car, I paid £8000 in cash and took my new pride and joy away for the trip home. I am disabled and have limited walking ability and choose this car as its air suspension made access easy and was able to be converted to hand control at a later date.
Whilst driving home the engine misfire returned within a mile of leaving the garage, and the Air Con still did not work. As soon as I reached home I tried to call the salesman and left voicemail telling him of the problem. More seriously I noticed that the car was actually a 2000 model and had only a part service history. It has not seen a Land Rover dealer since 2004 and has no record of service from this point at which it had covered 50k miles. Naturally I was very upset.
Several efforts were made to speak to the salesman, but he was never around and never returned my calls. I asked repeatedly for my warranty, and was told by the administrator that 'the warranty lady had not signed my book, but once she had, it would be posted to me'. I realised that I may have been had at this point!
Within a week of having the car, and still calling the garage everyday, the car developed more faults. Firstly the drivers door window actually fell out and smashed, the misfire got so bad that the whole car was shuddering and shaking, the air suspension failed to rise, causing the car to ride 6 inches higher on the nearside than the offside, the catalyst started smelling very badly and the heat from it was incredible and the car had needed 5 litres of oil within the first week!
I returned to the garage, and was told that my warranty basically did not exist, they would have a mobile mechanic fix the car for me. I agreed to this, only to learn from the mechanic that the garage had told him I would pay for repairs! When questioning this, the garage said it was untrue.
By September 10th I had had enough and returned to the garage again with a letter rejecting the car quoting the sales of goods act. I was told to leave the premises and take the car with me. I at this point felt intimidated and afraid as the salesman had two of his brothers with him. I may be 6 feet 5 inches tall and only 30 years old, but I am heavily disabled..... what threat could I be?.....
I have reported this to Consumer Direct, who say I am entitled to a refund, and Trading Standards are involved too, along with Customs and Excise. These people have apparently been prosecuted previously for similar offences.
I intend to return to the garage yet again with another rejection letter, and this time leave the car on their premises. Can you please advise me if this is legal, and offer me any advise or assistance. I now have no vehicle and no means of getting around and more importantly no money to purchase a replacement.
Thank you very much!

Dan, deleted your duplicate post - PU
Bought a lemon! Need help! - Sprice
Sorry to hear about your stressful experience Dan. Take a look at the following link, it was posted recently on here and contains useful advice (esp. Aprilias post about 3 posts down the page.)

Good luck.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=52...7
Thank you!

Had already read the whole thread before placing mine!

Small claims court is not relevant because of the amount of money involved, being over £5k, it becomes a Crown Court Affair....... Trading Standards have reliably informed me of this, I am just not sure who instigates this and how it is done. Mechanical condition aside, the most serious aspect here is the fact that the car was advertised as being a 2001 year with 91k and fsh, and is in fact a 2000 year with 99k and very little service history. This is a criminal offence according to TS, and automatically entitles me to a refund. This I have of course asked for but have been refused. Not quite as politely as this however!

I just do not know what the next stage is..... can I leave the car on the traders premises?....... Nobody seems to know the answer to this.

Thanks for your help so far, please can someone advise?

Dan
Bought a lemon! Need help! - zm
I would be loath to leave the car on this crook's premises (I don't want to use the words 'car dealer'), in case it disappears and you never see it or your money again. When buying a car always ask to see all paperwork/history before parting with the money. When I sell a car I always show this info to the customer anyway, as would anyone doing a proper job of selling cars.

I would be prepared for a rough ride with this one as it sounds like they don't really care in the slightest about how they conduct their business.
Bought a lemon! Need help! - Hamsafar
If you leave the car there, they will probably deny this and say it must have been stolen and you should claim off your insurance.
Bought a lemon! Need help! - hxj

I would get

1. the car inspected by a professional,
2. a quote for the work that needs doing,
3. some valuations as is.

You can sue for the costs of 2. or the decrease in value under 3.

With luck either of these will be less than 5k in which you can use the Small Claims Court.
Bought a lemon! Need help! - Bill Payer
Who involved Customs & Excise? What's the status of the business - is it a sole trader or a limited company? I would move quickly with any action - it they are as dodgy as they sound then they'll just wrap the business up (if it doesn't go bust or get wound up by HMRC).
Bought a lemon! Need help! - GroovyMucker
As HJ says, get advice.

Bear in mind that, if you do get a solicitor involved, the question of whether your claim is dealt with under the Small Claims procedure is somewhat academic, as you'll be paying your solicitor's fees anyway. In fact, it may be better for you if your claim exceeds £8,000, because the Small Claims jurisdiction pretty much excludes costs anyway. The County Court (not Crown Court - that's for criminal matters) is really no place for amateurs, despite those who post on fora like this and boast of how cleverly they ran their case.

I don't suppose you have any insurance to cover you for this sort of problem, eg on your motor insurance, credit card, or the like?
Bought a lemon! Need help! - Pugugly {P}
Did you per chance pay by Credit Card - it will offer you some protection under the CCA. Household insurance may cover you, possibly if you are a member of a motoring organisation...
Bought a lemon! Need help! - JH
"I paid £8000 in cash " so sadly not. Nice idea.
JH
Bought a lemon! Need help! - whoopwhoop
Can I strongly suggest putting this post on www.5ive-o.com - which is a website dealing in all matters motoring-law related. It's run by (amongst others) serving police officers, magistrates and other legal experts and they will almost certainly offer you some proper advice on what your options are, along with likely outcomes.

With all respect to Honest John, the answer ISN'T simply to employ a solicitor at this stage until you know a bit more about where you stand legally, and what your options are.
Bought a lemon! Need help! - GroovyMucker
Mmm ... there may be some point in posting on the site whoopwhoop mentions, but bear in mind you're not going to get advice about a civil claim from police officers or magistrates. Not will any solicitor worth his salt advise you on a website like that - there are all sorts of professional problems involved in that.

This is probably stating the obvious, but look around for a local solicitor who offers an initial free interview (if you are involved in a disability group, they might suggest one) and go and get some proper advice!

"here are all sorts of professional problems involved in that"

hear hear.

bear in mind you're not going to get advice about a civil claim from police
officers or magistrates.

YES you will.... plenty of advice relating to Civil cases on there. Lots and lots in fact.

Not will any solicitor worth his salt advise you on a website like that

Never mentioned solicitors
"ISN'T simply to employ a solicitor at this stage until you know a bit more about where you stand legally, and what your options are"

Er...that's what people traditionally consult solicitors for. If the OP can blag a free Interview that's the route to go. Difference between taking advice from a Solicitor and a Website is that the "client" has comeback if the Solicitor gets it horribly wrong.
WOW!
Thank you to everyone who has posted a comment on this.
I have an appointment with my lawyers on Monday..... will let you know what happens from here on in!

Really have had enough of this now, do not know what to do next!

Er...that's what people traditionally consult solicitors for. If the OP can blag a free Interview
that's the route to go. Difference between taking advice from a Solicitor and a Website
is that the "client" has comeback if the Solicitor gets it horribly wrong.

It generally helps to know whether you have a cat in hell's chance of winning a case before employing a solicitor and incurring legal fees. Do you not agree?

The website I mentioned will give you an indication.

Once you know whether you have a reasonable case, THAT is the time to employ (and pay) a solicitor. Do you not agree?

Difference between taking advice from a Solicitor and a website is that the website gives free advice after which you can decide whether to spend/waste money on a solicitor.

Only trying to help PugUgly, but I should have known better
Bought a lemon! Need help! - MichaelR
I really, really hope this goes well for you and you get your money back in full and the seller gets what he deserves.

However, for everyone else, there is a lesson here. Seriously, what would posess you to hand over £8000 in cash for a vehicle as complex as a P38 Range Rover V8 without so much as even checking the mileage on the speedo? A quick check on the DVLA website with the registration number would have given you date of registration as well, so thats both the age of the car issue and the excess mileage issue easily avoided. I know this is of little use after the event but I cannot help but feel people buying used cars often don't help themselves, and hope this can be of use to somebody else about to make the same mistake.
We've all made mistakes though if we'd admit them !
Bought a lemon! Need help! - PhilW
There is a lesson Michael, and I take your point. But Dan probably expected to be treated in the way he would treat others - honestly. Instead he has been treated disgracefully, and I hope he manages to resolve the matter. One can go through life distrusting everyone and expecting to be "done" and having no faith in people having a conscience. I look back on being "done" a few times (that Austin A40 many years ago, the "tarmaccing" of my front drive when I was broke and that damned tree surgeon only a year ago!) and making several mistakes which have cost me money - but I still prefer to trust most people to be honourable in their dealings.
Good luck to Dan - hope you get it sorted.
--
Phil
Phil

Thank you very much for your support.

I have indeed been silly, and no doubt a few others will take the time to point this out to me!

You were very correct in your assumtion that I 'expected' to be treated correctly, with respect and decency. Not wishing for, or in need of anyone's sympathy, but having a disability makes life rather hard enough, and you kind of expect to be treated 'properly', and the sales people seemed genuine and plausible. I am no fool generally. I have been unlucky and had my fingers burned...... right upto the elbow!

Sadly most of us will suffer from this at some stage, and those with more experience than me with Motor Cars, may scoff and think I am stupid, but I bet they have been 'done' in some other way!

Thanks also to everyone who has contributed anything meaningful and tried to help.

I will keep you informed, and see what tomorrow brings!

Dan
Bought a lemon! Need help! - rtj70
Considering you can often get the first hour's advice for free from a solicitor then I'd personally go to a solicitor rather than a website for help. And if I had to pay a few hundred for initial help to figure out what best to do then that too would be what I did when we're talking £8000.
I have an appointment tomorrow (Monday) with my lawyers. £8k is not a vast amount of money by todays standard, but its my £8k, and I want it back...... so a few hundred more on a Lawyer is definately planned!

I logged on here to see if anyone had had any similar experiences, asking for opinions and maybe some guidance!

Will keep you posted, and hopefully a letter from my lawyers and Tuesdays scheduled visit to the garage with a trading standards official may kick them into line, and hopefully get them to do the right thing!

Dan
Please do not take this the wrong way (I say this to help and do not know you at all) ....

But if Tuesday's meeting does not go to plan then could you use disability as a way to get press involved? Might focus the minds of those you are meeting with. Likewise if it went to court... Others on here will no doubt now jump on me and my post.

But you've been well and truelly ripped off and they are dishonest. You need to (IMHO) to use everything against them.

Bought a lemon! Need help! - apm
Really hope this works out for you, Dan.

Just a thought- does your car insurance come with legal cover, as they ofen do these days? May be worth a call..

Cheers,

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
Volvo 940S estate 1993
Maxda MX5 1.8iS 1997
Yamaha RD350 YPVS 1992
Alex, thank you.

I do have legal cover, though I have not got a clue what this is for!

I will definately speak to them.

Dan
Thank you.

I appreciate your sentiment, and you do have a point.

I was perfectly well able and fit until 12 months ago, I have a rare disease which is causing my spine to fuse and narrow the space for my spinal chord, and hence have pretty much lost use of my legs..... and it will continue to worsen, anyhow.....

If they can do this to someone in my position, what else are they capable of?.....

Not a nice thought. I will use everything I have to try and beat them.
Regards.
Dan
Best of luck. I am sure you will get a good outcome and the money back.

Rgds

Rob
Bought a lemon! Need help! - Martin Devon
But you've been well and truelly ripped off and they are dishonest. You need to
(IMHO) to use everything against them.

AGREE. Use every tool in the box. That's what they're for.

MD
Bought a lemon! Need help! - nick
If you don't mind the publicity it's the sort of story your local paper or tv news might be interested in. Just mentioning the press to the vendor may help. Good luck.