General Question - eggy windscreen washer fluid - GregBlack
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with a bad egg smell from the windscreen washer. This is a result of leaving plain water in there for too long. Slap. I'm wondering what is the best way to eradicate the smell. If I just keep filling it with a good washer solution will it go eventually?

Or could I put something like Milton fluid in, leave it overnight and then spray it out through the jets without affecting the paintwork? Haven't got the means to pump fluid out into a bucket. I don't think removing the washer tank is simple although haven't looked closely.

Greg

S

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/10/2008 at 10:08

eggy windscreen washer - Dynamic Dave
something like Milton fluid....

That's what's suggested in the following threads when I did a quick forum search.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=53157
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41708

eggy windscreen washer - Hamsafar
The tiniest amount of chlorine bleach will also rapidly break down the compounds which cause sulphurous smells.

eggy windscreen washer - pafosman
I had this problem with the transit. I just put a hosepipe into the washer bottle and let it run for ten minutes. As long as the hosepipe is right at the bottom of the bottle it will flush from the bottom up and the gunge ran away down the gutter. I then filled it up with a strong solution of washer fluid and the problem has not re-occured since.

Papho
eggy windscreen washer - carl1968
Had this problem as well, found that "overdossing " with washer fluid was the cause or mixing different types may also result in this problem, I see that both suggestions have already been made but now I am more careful with how much addative I use.
regards
eggy windscreen washer - Armitage Shanks {p}
'Overdossing' is what happens to me when the alarm doesn't go off! You are right about not mixing brands though - I have done this and the resulting was very glurpy and didn't flow well thru the nozzles. Welcome to the forum BTW!
eggy windscreen washer - Andrew-T
But even washer fluid deteriorates after a couple of years, causing streaking on the screen. A complete flush-out is worth while now and again.