timing belt kit? - milkyjoe
hi all. im after a timing belt kit for a lanos 1.4 wheres the best place to source one from ? should i stick with brand name or would it be a false economy going for a pattern part ?thanks
timing belt kit? - Dynamic Dave
or would it be a false economy going for a pattern part ?thanks

I think you've answered your own question.
timing belt kit? - bell boy
you might only find a pattern part though?
cant imagine gates doing one,as not the demand?
anyway if its the same as the vaux sohc 1400 its non interferance so no damage
timing belt kit? - milkyjoe
thanks dd and bb, why dont they make most motors with no interference set up ? save a lot of trouble when the "laggy band snaps" just a thought, or just a cash cow for the motor trade
timing belt kit? - GregSwain
Partly the cash-cow factor, but also allows for higher compression because there's not a big empty void at the top of each cylinder (more relevant for diesels I know). It's not false economy to fit a decent branded belt (Gates, QH etc). Besides, I doubt the rubber will be put under much stress on a SOHC engine (am guessing the belt only drives the camshaft, because that engine's relatively simple).

GM's old 1.6 8v was non-interference, some of the smaller Fiat units are too - unfortunately not many others. Play safe next time, and get an engine with a timing chain ;-)
(am guessing the belt only drives the camshaft because that engine's relatively simple).

And waterpump, which for piece of mind should be changed at the same time, otherwise you have to go through the proceedure of removing the belt again to change it later.

If it's a GM engine, then try giving www.autovaux.co.uk a call. I said call, as they never used to be very good at replying to emails.
And waterpump which for piece of mind should be changed at the same time

Ah yes, nothing's simple with GM! Why can't they make engines with a waterpump driven by an auxiliary belt? May as well get the waterpump done too, because sod's law dictates that if you don't, the following day it'll spring a leak, or even worse, seize up and cause the new belt to drop off.
timing belt kit? - Ruperts Trooper
>>>GM's old 1.6 8v was non-interference, some of the smaller Fiat units are too - unfortunately not many others. Play safe next time, and get an engine with a timing chain >>>

Until the chain snaps without warning, then it has just the same effect/cost as a belt breaking.

All the GM 8v engines are easy, therefore cheap at independents, to get the belt, pulleys, tensioner and water pump done at the recommended interval, currently 60,000 miles or 6 years for the 8v engines.
currently 60 000 miles or 6 years for the 8v engines.

Have Vauxhall moved the goalposts again? Thought the 8v engines were 80,000 miles / 8 years?
Until the chain snaps without warning then it has just the same effect/cost as a
belt breaking.

Chains don't generally snap without warning - there's usually a period of horrible metallic rattling before it gives in, and it's more often a tensioner that's responsible rather than the chain itself. My last car was 16y/o and still on its original chain, no hint of a rattle either.
timing belt kit? - LinuxGeek
>>My last car was 16y/o and still on its original chain no hint
of a rattle either.

That sounds impressive. Would love to know what car it was and how many miles it had done?
That sounds impressive. Would love to know what car it was and how many miles
it had done?

1990 Nissan Sunny (N13) 1.4 on a G-plate. If the carburettor hadn't knackered I'd still have it. It only had about 120k on the clock - I've heard of Primeras running to well over 150k on their original chain (and water pump). I've also heard the noise of a Micra K11 with a rattling chain, and it's certainly noticable enough to alert a garage before the tensioner loosens off and knocks the chain off a sprocket. Give me a chain over a belt any day.
timing belt kit? - jase1
Yeah our old Sunny -- "admittedly only" 13 years old, and 140,000 miles -- was still on original chain and not a hint of death-rattle.

I've heard a Nissan when the chain starts to get tired -- it's an ungodly noise, and not something you'd miss easily! This was on a 220K 1.6 Primera at around 9 years old.