Replacement for 1.2 16v MkII Punto - aaflyer
Dear all

I'm thinking of replacing my Mk II Punto (beginning to give a bit of jip) Now, my main concern is to purchase the most reliable used car that I can - for a budget of about £3500-4000, preferably an auto. Not concerned about looks or even performance, but just reliability, reliability, reliability (even if insurance premiums are a little more than the Punto). I do about 250 miles a week over a mixture of A and B roads and a little motorway.

To that end, I'm thinking about a Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz. I know HJ recommends the Jazz. Can any other backroomers give ideas/suggestions. Or should I just run the Punto - though worried over long termness of CVT (though no problems to date)?

Thanks in anticipation

AA
Replacement for 1.2 16v MkII Punto - Avant
Definitely something Japanese - I'd agree with Yaris or Jazz, although autos are rare and I'm not sure whether any Jazz CVTs are old enough to be within your budget. The gearchanges on both are excellent so maybe try one and see if you really need an auto.

If you go for a Yaris the 1.3 is well worth it over the 1.0. Elder daughter has had two of them and they're almost as much fun to drive as SWMBO's Mini.

A Mitsubishi Colt is another possibility - not sure if they have ever vome as an auto. Nissan Micras can have an auto although I seem to remember reading that it wasn't a good combination. And there's something about the image of a Micra that would put me off - I can't express exactly what - which doesn't apply to the other three.
Replacement for 1.2 16v MkII Punto - NowWheels
Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz are both good cars, but too popular to be cheap. If you are looking for an automatic, you're probably better off looking at cars one size up, such as an old shape Vauxhall Astra (good automatic gearbox, but an untrendy car hence prices are low).