320d : ownership report - Mad Maxy
This is a BMW 320d M Sport Touring (manual): report of six months? ownership from new and 7,000 miles:

Why choose the BMW? Well, there was nothing wrong with the Audi A4 Avant 2.0 FSI Sport that preceded it, apart from 50,000 miles and just over three years? ownership ? I fancied a change. So that ruled out another A4, even though the facelift model is a significant improvement over the 03/03 model I had. So that left a Mercedes C Class or a BMW 3 ? everything else was ruled out by personal preference and prejudice; German ?premium brand? it had to be. At the time of deliberation ? late last year ? the C was due for replacement, so that left the BM. And anyway, I really fancied one. Test drives were impressive.

Originally I wanted a 330d, but in the end went for the 320d on grounds of lower cost and better economy (and saving the planet?). Which spec? It had to be the M Sport on grounds of looks and kit, and, anyway, I prefer a firmer ride and sharper handling. Extras were:

Le Mans Blue metallic
Leather ? over-priced but I?ve wanted it for ages
Xenon lights ? over-priced but I like the look (!) and they do perform well
Auto-dimming mirrors ? saving the hassles arising from xenon-equipped vehicles behind?

And the local BMW dealer matched the well discounted price from Drivethedeal.

So what?s it like and how has it been?

Features:
Mrs MM and I have ?his and hers? keys ? the car recognises each key and remembers the last setting of the mirrors, the aircon and the radio. Cool.

You can set the near-side mirror to dip automatically when you engage reverse.

You can drop stuff in the boot by lifting the rear window (as an alternative to opening the rear hatch).

There?s an iPod connection, but I can?t control the iPod from the radio. I think you can on the latest models.

Accommodation:
What you?d expect from a car in this sector. The interior suits our family of three very well, and at 6 ft tall I?m comfortable in the back. On paper the boot is about the same size as the A4?s but we don?t seem to be able to get so much in it. The rear seats fold down to form a flat load floor.

Comfort:
It took me about five months to find a comfortable driving position, but that?s a product of a seat that adjusts for height and tilt (and cushion length) as well as the usual reach from pedals and backrest rake. BMW really ought to have backrest adjustment by wheel instead of a lever: the graduations in adjustment are too coarse. Overall I?d say the driving position is more flexible than the Audi?s. The seats aren?t as firm as I remember the (brilliant) seats in my old R-reg 323i to have been; is that because of the leather?

The car is serenely quiet at a cruise: next to no engine or wind noise and very little tyre roar. At lower speeds and when accelerating the engine makes its presence known, but it?s not at all an unpleasant noise.

The drive:
Steering nicely weighted, decent feel. The low-profile run-flats are sensitive to road surface irregularities; sometimes you have to work at keeping the car on course. This is a bit of a disappointment, although I found this less of an issue on roads in France and Belgium than in the UK. And the ride is maybe a bit too firm, especially on our lousy non-M/non-A roads (I never thought I?d be saying this!). I suspect the standard suspension set up works rather better. Having said all that, I note that a well known motoring weekly praised the ride and driving characteristics of an Alpina D3 it had on long-term test; that had 18 in wheels, although they were shod with Michelin Pilots ? maybe these behave better than my Bridgestone Potenzas.

I can?t say I?ve explored the handling to any great degree ? you?d need a track to do that. And anyway, the handling?s never going to be that involving given the combination of about 165 bhp with 225/45 tyres on the front and 255/40s on the back. But it?s done all I?ve asked it in a responsive and secure manner. Its RWD characteristics are distinguishable from the FWD ones of the A4, and I prefer them. Overall it?s a nicer drive than the Audi was.

The engine isn?t as punchy as I expected. In particular it hasn?t the torquiness at low revs that I remember from the Golf GT TDI 110 that preceded the Audi. The power delivery is more linear in nature, and you have to use the gearbox more. But it does the job, and I?ve never really found myself wanting more power (although, really, I ALWAYS want more?).

Quality, reliability, economy, practicality:
So far nothing has fallen off or gone wrong. No rattles or squeaks either.

The plastic of the front door pockets seems a bit down-market. Ditto the carpet. The doors don?t shut with the lovely ?thunk? that the Audi?s did. The paintwork is a little ?orange-peely? in places. But otherwise the quality is good. The actions of the steering wheel stalks have a lovely silky feel. The climate control is very efficient and the ergonomics are very good.

Economy? Well I?ve been disappointed not to crack 50 mpg. The closest I?ve got is about 49, and I?ve just averaged 46.5 cruising to (at an indicated 75-80 mph) and around the Ardennes in Belgium and Luxembourg. That was three-up and with luggage for about two-thirds of the total distance (about 1,000 miles). The trip computer was telling me 49.5 mpg. The engine has used a little oil ? but I doubt I?ll need to top it up in the 13,000 miles the computer informs me have yet to pass before the first service.

Overall the car has been easy to live with and has served the MMs well. But those 17 in wheels and low-profile tyres need looking after. I castigated Mrs MM for grazing the front near-side alloy during some careless parking, and then yesterday I clipped a low metal kerb inside a Eurotunnel shuttle carriage causing a surprisingly serious mark. I was only doing about 7 mph! I duly castigated myself. Looks like I need a new alloy (only perfection will do).

In conclusion:
Is it a good car? Yes, on experience so far anyway.

Am I thrilled with it? No. it?s an efficient, capable machine. I admire it but I don?t love it. (It does look gorgeous, though.)

Was it worth the money? There are so many ways of interpreting this question (but for most of them the answer would be ?No?). Could I have got the same (or more) satisfaction in a new car of the same size for less money? Maybe, but I kinda doubt it. I like this BMW?s style, design philosophy and ergonomics, as well as the self-assured way it does what is asked of it. There?s nothing that irritates. It?s a good car.
320d : ownership report - Pugugly {P}
Glad you like it - the 6 cylinder engine may have made you love it !
320d : ownership report - ForumNeedsModerating
A refreshingly honest appraisal MM. A bit after-the-horse-has-bolted I know but - did you ever consider a Skoda Octavia VRS 170? It would look to be the equivalent in many ways & much cheaper (even with your extras I saw a DtD of circa £18K - only half-leather though)

I seriously wonder whether even sporty car afficionados are finding M-sport suspension & 17-in(?) run-flats type set-ups tenable these days, there must a point on our appalling roads where tyre-road contact is so compromised that billiard-smooth race tracks are the only places to indulge that stiff suspension & tramlinig tendency to any advantage.
PU: Maybe, but it would have been an auto (for resale) and I was worried about getting bored.

Woodbines: Not seriously, but the vRS is a fine motor (petrol or diesel), and I do rather like the sporty Seat Leons as well. But a 'compact estate' is just right for its combination of interior and luggage space.
Sorry, i meant to say the Octavia vRS estate , rathe than imply the hatchback. Its capacity is humungous & its dynamics little compromised in estate guise, from reports I've read.
320d : ownership report - MichaelR
The Octavia is absolutely no context for a BMW - I test drove an Octavia vRS petrol and it was quick, but the build quality was nothing impressive, the wind noise was awful and it just felt like a cheap car.

Not that this is knocking it, becuase it is a cheap car, but this therefore makes it an invalid competitor to a 320d.
320d : ownership report - Avant
"The Octavia is absolutely no context for a BMW" (I think you mean contest)

Not for you Michael - as for a true BMW aficionado, as I think you are, nothing else will do.

I tried several test drives of a 320d Touring, and given that so many car enthusiasts (as I am) love BMWs, I so wanted to like this one.

But firstly I couldn't get a comfortable driving position - and it's taken Mad Maxy 5 months! - and secondly I found the gearchange in each example notchy and obstructive, and the clutch heavy. BMW lovers would call them 'meaty'.

And thirdly - which can't be ignored - the 320d SE is £7,500 more than the 2.0TDI Golf SE and Octavia Elegance estates. The 320d ES is £6,500 more. I couldn't see a great difference in the quality of the materials (there is more difference with an Audi) and the ride and handling are not hugely superior to the Golf's in normal (as opposed to extreme or track) driving. The engine is quieter, I'll give it that.

Image? Is that what the extra money is going on? To be honest, I'm not sure that at 59 I particularly aspire to the popular 3-series image!

Thanks, MM, for an excellent objective report. I suppose my overall feeling on reading it is that for the price you paid and the care you took over choosing your car, you deserve to have ended up with a car you love.
320d : ownership report - Pendlebury
I have to agree with Michael - you cannot put the Octavia and a 3 series in the same league - this is not car snobbery - the Beemer is just engineered to a completely different level.
The Skoda is a good car in it's class but there is no comparison between these 2.
320d : ownership report - midlifecrisis
I test drove a 320 M Sport Touring prior to buying my current car. Within a mile I knew I could never live with the horrendous run flats. Interior was a bit plain as well.
320d : ownership report - nortones2
Could you expand on "engineered to a completely different level"? Just seems to be a trifle vague, or aspirational....
Indeed. And it might be helpful also to address the point that the oily bits of Skodas are also found in Audis. Is Michael also implying that BMWs are 'engineered to a completely different level' from Audis?
Sorry Michael - that was actually Pendlebury's expression, but I think you probably take the same view. I disagree in principle but that's no reason not to respect your view, and I'd like to hear more.
I forgot to include in my earlier response, that the OP's report was well written and interesting!
320d : ownership report - Bill Payer
Indeed. And it might be helpful also to address the point that the oily bits
of Skodas are also found in Audis.

..and some of them find their way into SEAT's - very poorly put together cars.
320d : ownership report - Altea Ego
..and some of them find their way into SEAT's - very poorly put together cars.

Really? In what way?
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Really? In what way?

Poor fit and finish. Lots of rattles. Broken down twice (VAG coil pack problems) and a lot of hassle getting it fixed (SEAT assist won't replace parts under warranty - have to take car to dealer). At the 30K/3 yr service, dealer had the car for 4 days, so much needed doing.
320d : ownership report - Humpy
Spot on, great review. Just the conclusion I came to with my '54 320d SE Touring. So, when I changed I went to a Volvo V50 D5 SE Sport. Also a a great car, faster, more kit but not as good dynamically. I'll be back hammering at BMW's door for another 3 series next time though even though I won't exepct to love it...

I wonder if PU is correct, the BMW Chassis demands more power than the 320d can muster,opt for a 6 cyl and the story may be completely different.
Thanks for the nice comments, folks! I aim to be helpful and entertain a little. :-)

Don't get too much the wrong impression over my difficulties with seat adjustment. I had an op for a disc lesion 13 years ago and, while my back has been fine since, it is still quite sensitive to seating posture: there's only a very small range of tolerance. So the combination of seat height/tilt, backrest angle and stretch (or lack of) of shoulders/arms to the wheel is pretty crucial. For instance, too much thigh support = backache. It always takes me an age to get the seat right, and a long-distance constant-speed cruise to test a given set-up. (When I drove my dad's Mk I Cortina the seat just moved back and forth. Far easier and no problem... Or maybe that was the start of my problems!)

In my report I didn't mention cruise control. This is the first car in which I've used it. I wouldn't say I'm a big enthusiast for it now the novelty has worn off but it's very easy to use.

I've been interested by the discussion about alternatives and (that rather indefinable?) 'quality of engineering'. Some (cheaper) cars look great, have good specs and get very positive reviews, but do they feel right and do they have irritating features ('why did they/didn't they...', evidence of cost-paring, etc)? Apart from a Mk I Golf that was a disappointment after a 1303 Beetle every car I've had that wasn't a VW, and Audi or a BMW has been disappointing. Hence my preference for 'German premium' or even VW...
I've been interested by the discussion about alternatives and (that rather indefinable?)
'quality of engineering'.

A couple of years ago I bought a 6mth old Merc C270CDi Estate after years of having company Mondeos, Vectras and 406s.

I don?t care what anybody else says, the fit, finish and ambience of the car is just in a different league to the others. Is it really necessary for all Mondeos to have wind noise from the B posts at 45MPH+, or the side windows of 406 estates to get so dirty in wet weather that on several occasions I had to stop and clean them? Mercedes can make a car that is more or less the same size and shape as 406 estate but the side windows don't suffer from wind noise and stay perfectly clear in wet weather.

I looked at BMW?s and wandered around my local, and a more distant, BMW dealer with an effectively unlimited budget, but they didn?t want to talk to me. Got the Merc from MB Direct and they were keen, and very easy to deal with.
320d : ownership report - rogue-trooper
the one car that never seems to be mentioned and one that pased me by until my brother bought one is the Jaguar X Type estate. He got a 2.2d because he thinks he is being as British as possible. Looks like a nice car and the boot is bigger than the A4/3/C and if servicing costs are in line with Ford then it might be a winner for him. If I wanted a smaller estate than the one that I've got, I might well consider the X even with those funny squinty head lights.

One thing I am beginning to realise is that when it comes to change my 6cyl diesel, I am sure that I will be more than content with 4cyls (or am I kidding myself?)
320d : ownership report - CJay{P}
Having owned all three cars in question - a C class (W203), a 2.5SE x type and currently on a E46 - I would not all three of them in the same level in terms of all these important 'intangibles' The markets doesn't seem to think so either - the Jag is a good £2-3k cheaper, if not more.
The Jag never got any serious consideration. I don't really like the looks, and a quicker depreciator, I think.
320d : ownership report - Pendlebury
>>Could you expand on "engineered to a completely different level"? Just seems to be a trifle vague, or aspirational.... <<

To name just a few items - rwd V fwd (although I do appreciate VAG also have a 4 wheel drive system), engine refinement and chain cams V rattly PD diesels, coil failures and plastic cam belt parts, engines in a BMW range from great to brilliant mostly - just look at the international engine of the year awards, build quality is far superior in a beemer to any VAG product including Audi once you can see past the rubber coated radio buttons, the way in which different materials are deisgned into the chassis of a 3 series to provide 50:50 weight distribution (something Audi are now getting to grips with in the new TT & A5). BMW's use of electronic aids to improve handling & its double-joint spring strut front axle is made completely of aluminium, minimising the unsprung mass of the car and reducing road noise. The revised five-arm rear axle - all superior systems to that used by VAG cars - although they are trying to play catch up. The braking systems on BMW's now have 2 stages of force with pre-wipe systems etc. Then you have all the new efficient dynamics packages for reducing CO2 etc.
IMO Skoda and VAG in general do not go to anywhere near these lengths when designing a car.
BMW as a company are set up completely differently to most other car companies and show very little interest in being lean. The employ alot more engineers than most and their role in the organisation is to focus on very small parts of the car and engineer them to the best possible solution. You do not see this in many other car companies - possibly Honda although they are much leaner in the way they manufacture cars.
"One thing I am beginning to realise is that when it comes to change my 6cyl diesel, I am sure that I will be more than content with 4cyls (or am I kidding myself?) "

I'm not so sure - you can get as much performance from a good 4-cylinder diesel of the same capacity, and probably better economy - but you won't get the refinement, and if you want an automatic you'll get an unpleasant drone and lack of low-down pull (because the auto has to pick up from idling, whereas with a manual you will start off at somethoing over 1,000 rpm).
320d : ownership report - akr
Last time I looked at a BMW the arrogance of the dealer was so unbelievable I walked out in disgust. Unfortunately, he was faced with a customer who knew what his part ex was worth and what discount was available on the new one (and therefore knew the cost to change). I think he assumed that most people who walk into his showroom are so smitten with the badge that they'll pay whatever he says - his offers were taking the mickey.
It's just interesting bearing in mind Bill Payer's reasons above for buying a Merc
(Sorry it's not quite what the thread is about)
- his offers were taking the mickey.

I've never even got into discussions with a BMW salesman - and I've visited my local dealer several times. To be fair, the salesmen always seem busy with customers writing up orders. If BMW wanted to sell even more cars then I guess they'd open more dealerships.
320d : ownership report - DeeMac
I've just moved from a 2002 A4 Avant 1.8T to a 2006 BMW 320d SE Touring.

The BMW drives better - no fwd understeer - and is more refined, goes around corners like it is on rails, but I have to agree that it does not feel anywhere near as punchy as the Audi at low speed. I took a test drive in VW Passat 2.0 TDI and it had little initial bite, then a big dollop of torque arrives and drags the car forward.

Once your realise that there is a very long throttle pedal in the BMW, you can make it shift a bit more but this is all at the cost of fuel economy. The petrol A4 Avant did about 29 mpg which was mostly town driving. The BMW is doing about 33mpg. When crusing the mpg needle is north of 50mpg, when accelerating (gently) it is south of 20mpg. Has anyone had similar findings? Or should I remove the lead from my right boot?

Cruise control, leather seats and parking sensors make this a better car to live with.

I'm considering letting Superchips add another 35 or so horsepower to the car. I;d like some feedback from anyone who has tried this.

320d : ownership report - Oilyman
I've had a 2007 E91 320d SE since new (may 07). It replaced an E46 330d.

IMO the E46 was a far superior product - the E91 has leather and loads of electronic 'features' however when I use this car for it's purpose (transport) I find that on runflats it is dire.

It skips sideways when any imperfection is encountered on a bend.

The engine is asthmatic and weak - even after 15K.

A wise man once told me "a proper BMW has more than 4 cylinders", I now wish I'd listened to him.

Ergonomically it's rotten also - I can almost kiss the windscreen when sat normally - I'm 5'10" - no adjustment on the seatbelt height - even Astras Circa 1990 had this!

Faddy features - push button start, daft indicator controls, Climate Control that plays 'hunt the fan speed' without settling for ages.

Cheapskate award of the year - no seat back pockets/nets on a £29K car!

Wish I had never changed.

Considering a BMW 320d - save your cash and get a six cylinder engine, ditch the runflats and specify petrol. Better still get a late model (petrol) E46 instead.

320d : ownership report - ijws15
Do BMW really spend more on Engineering or is it just marketing hype . . .

They make much more profit per car, spend a lot on marketing and rwd is reputedly more expensive to build so to me that would indicate that they spend the same on the engineering as the others! Posts on here also indicate they are not cheap to run - good engineering?

Those I have driven have left me wondering why the press go mad about them, and FIVE MONTHS to get the seat set correctly - imagine going 15k in that period, the car would have gone.

Engineering is all about getting it to do a job and my experience (96k in a VAG car with only battery issues, and 119k to date in a Honda with NO significant issues) indicate that their engineering (not marketing) does what matters. When it snows, or a tyre de-laminates on you, you find out how good, or bad, the BMW engineering is - I don't want to find out!

320d : ownership report - bimmer-driver
Oilyman- why did you buy it in the first place then? Wouldn't all of the above gripes have become apparent on a test drive!?!
My dads just bought a nearly new 318d Msport and loves it to bits. Its an ex Bracknell car so specced to the hilt, but even so he still doesn't share any of your moans. He only wishes the alloys weren't so easy to kerb.
I test drove a 320 touring (M sport) when looking to buy my new car. The runflats alone put me off. It just felt 'odd' and I knew I could never live with it. Even looked into putting 'normal' tyres on it, but was told this was a strict 'no no'.
That'll teach me to read the whole thread and not just the 'new' ones. I've already posted with the same comment...doh!
320d : ownership report - Oilyman
Oilyman- why did you buy it in the first place then? Wouldn't all of the
above gripes have become apparent on a test drive!?!

Possibly.... I didn't get a chance to test drive as this was a last minute change (Co. Car).

My employer changed from owning the cars we use to leasing them - trying to get a test drive of any length (several days) from a dealer that isn't going to end up providing the car is pointless.

My *choice* was either the BMW 320d (I'd had several 3 and 5 series in the past) or an Audi A4 1.9 Tdi. I went with the BMW because (get this) I don't like the Audi 'image' - too many collarless shirt wearing, Mac using, Ipod owners working in "meedja".

So, I went with the BMW (without a test drive), thinking that it would be a natural progression from the (imo) superb E46 - wrong.

I have read that ditching the runflats can improve matters - not an option for me running a leased vehicle.

I should have opted out and got that Chrysler 300C instead.
320d : ownership report - Ed V
That says it all about us Brits and the importance for so many of image, or even lack of negative image in this case.

Mind you, as a Mac user but not in the meedja, what do I do? Anyone who's willingly bough a PC over a Mac is likely to go for a Skoda - i.e. cheaper and does the job, but the engineering quality ain't there. But of course that presumes an equal interest in computers and cars.............

No mention of Subaru here [re priority of engineering], although I guess the Lagacy isn't really a Beemer equivalent as it's 4x4, etc.

Mind you, as a Mac user but not in the meedja, what do I do? Anyone who's willingly bough a PC over a Mac is likely to go for a Skoda - i.e. cheaper and does the job, but the engineering quality ain't there.

Slighltly O/T, but if the world relied on Apple products - you probably wouldn't have forum
to write to. Macs are fine for whizzy windows , smooth graphics & emptying your head by endless listening to Arctic Monkey 'records' - but for serious work, in the real world of servers & widely available software, MS PCs & associated servers are the only realisitc options.

Apple concentrate on what you'd have to call 'consumer PCs' - I 'willingly' bought a PC (albeit with a slighlty more 'work' orientated operating system & development environment) because there's no direct analogue anywhere else - be that in hardware terms or software.
That's how I define quality - the 'quality' of it being able to do the job at all.
Apple make a range of computers including rather expensive jobs, that most users don't need, but intensive graphics users do. The media world are Apple Mac by choice, as a rule. I use Mac and MS Word and the other suite contents. Just not a PC, which have been, from my limited personal experience, highly unreliable and rather slow:)
trying to get a test drive of any length (several days) from a dealer that isn't going
to end up providing the car is pointless.

It's annoyingly (compared to being a private motorist) easy if you have a company car, and even easier than that if you lease, as your lease company will arrange the whole thing for you.

Most manufacturers have a fleet of cars ready to loan for corporate demos. Mercedes asked me what spec I wanted and then drove a brand new car 200 miles to my house for me to try for a few days. With Honda I collected the car from the local dealer (who a week previously had flatly denied any such scheme existed).
Well well, the OP takes an idle dip into the Backroom and finds his thread revived!

Coincidentally the thought of chipping the 320d for a bit more power crossed my mind earlier this morning, but then there?s the warranty issue? Probably not a good idea.

So here?s an update on the original report, with the car 13 months old:

The load space cover creaks a bit ? noticeable in an otherwise very quiet car. There is the occasional creak from the transmission tunnel and over by the front LH door, but that doesn?t fuss me. Otherwise nothing amiss. One thing I didn?t say originally was that the body panel gaps are surprisingly wide.

And all the subjective impressions of driving and owning that I described before still hold good. Mixed usage gives an indicated mpg of 42-44 (reality is 2 or 3 mpg below that). Maybe that?s not bad for a 1.5 tonne car with circa 165 bhp, but the ?official? figures suggest much better consumption.

Should I have got a 330d? Or a 325d? Or even a 320/330i? Don?t know. I suspect (though this is founded on no real evidence) that the 6-cylinder diesels also would have been disappointingly thirsty (or, put another way, not satisfyingly economical) and that the petrols would have been more economical than one might have thought.

To put the fuel consumption in perspective? Golf Mk IV GT TDI 110: indicated 45-50 mpg. Roughly 20% heavier BMW 320d, 165 bhp: indicated 40-45 mpg. What one might expect? But I haven?t been using the extra 55 horses on a regular basis, have been driving with reasonable economy in mind (always have done), and actually the BM feels no quicker than the Golf, even foot-to-the-floor. I?d rather hoped that diesel technology might have upped the game in seven years. And I agree with DeeMac, accelerate and the consumption according to the ?swingometer? plummets.

Would I have another? No. Am I put off BMWs? No, but another unmoving ownership experience like this would put me off.
320d : ownership report - DeeMac
Quest for better mpg...

I've changed my driving style - now changing up at 2000 rpm rather than 3000.

Will let you know if this improves things.
320d : ownership report - Pezzer
MM, my experience of this lump, albeit in the smaller and I assume lighter 1 series is that it is deceptively quick. It doesnt feel it because of the more composed way it delivers the power with no nonsense coming through the steering wheel, its only when you look at the rear view and the speedo that you actually realise how quickly you are moving. The power delivery is more linear than the VAG so you dont get the thump in the back.

I am back in an older petrol FWD car now for various reasons, but I am surprised quite how much I'm missing the BM.

P
320d : ownership report - LikedDrivingOnce
..... it is deceptively quick. It doesnt feel it because of the more
composed way it delivers the power with no nonsense coming through the steering wheel its
only when you look at the rear view and the speedo that you actually realise
how quickly you are moving. The power delivery is more linear than the VAG so
you dont get the thump in the back.

Excuse me for reviving an old discussion, but I own an E91 320d and would like to comment, starting with the observation by Pezzer. You are spot on! It is deceptively quick. It is a shame, really because it adds to the disappointments.

My observations are on my own car, but I have driven four other E90/E91s as hire cars and they all have the same characteristics, so my own vehicle is typical.

This is a car that almost makes you feel guilty in criticising it. It does have a lot to be said in its favour.I've done 48k miles with only some minor problems, the dealer has been the best that I have encountered in 30 years of motoring, and the car drives every bit as well as all of the glowing reviews in the car mags say. It feels solid and the internal materials feel high quality. I've no doubt that the engineering matches the high reputation that BMW have in this department.

The fuel economy is almost as stated in the official figures. The automatic gearbox changes gear smoothly and at appropriate speed to match a relaxed driving style. (Shame that it is an old fashioned planetary gearbox, rather than a modern dual clutch job, though)

The parking sensors work OK. The bleeping is not very informative about where the obstructions are, though. (The Mercedes system of having a visual display for parking sensors seems more logical to me, anyway)

But on the other hand so many things niggle about this car! They add together like straws that just about break the camels back.

1. Comfort is very disappointing for an executive level car. The SE suspension is overly firm, and the Sport model even worse. OK. Our roads don't help, but most other cars cope with them better. The run-flat tyres no doubt contribute to the ride problem, as well as needing replacement more frequently than normal tyres AND at greater cost.

The seats (standard ones) are not supportive. Even driving sedately I get little lateral support, so it dissuades me from any spirited driving down twisty lanes.

As for refinement, this car is way over-rated. It's noisier than my old Primera on the motorway, and the standard stereo is poor if you want to use it to drown out the noise. At the lights, you are in no doubt that this beast is a diesel!

2. The E91 just doesn't work. It is not a real estate car. The sloping roof and rear wheel arch intrusion severely limit the practicality of the cargo area. However it still obviously looks like an estate from the outside (i.e. relative of a hearse). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but I think it is ugly. I could put up with it if it did the job - but it doesn't.

3. The interior is light and pleasant (Grey leather), but the dash is bland and unimaginative. It looks like they just slapped all the buttons for the stereo and aircon down in a big row, because they couldn't think where to put them. Added to which, at night every dial and display glows in the same hideous reddish-orange light. It looks like a cheap digital watch from the 1970's. (Yes, I know that there is some scientific thought behind the choice of orange for the lighting - but it still looks awful!). SWMBO's car makes the BMW dash look very poor indeed.

4. The driving controls are not relaxing to use at all. They demand the drivers utmost attention to operate. I feel very drained after an hours drive in the E91. The steering wheel is very fidgety, and you can easily find the car wandering about when you adjust the stereo or aircon. (I've been driving hire cars recently and don't have this problem - so it is not me).

The indicators were designed by a lunatic. No wonder BMW drivers have a reputation for not using them. How they could make something so important so hyper-sensitive to the touch and so fiddly to use is beyond me.

Finally the brakes, though reassuringly powerful, have to be used very, very carefully. Just the slightest too much pressure on the pedal, and you find yourself slowing down far too quickly and giving the guy behind you heart failure. (In one case, I even suffered a rear-end shunt due to the over-reaction of these wretched brakes).

SUMMARY

I should add that I only came into ownership of the car due to a set of unusual circumstances (long story) - which should pre-empt any questions along the line of "Why did you buy it then - if you don't like it?"

If you are a keen driver, I suppose you will forgive the car its faults, as it does drive so well. However, these days I'm more interested in cars which are comfortable, practical and easy to drive, and by my reckoning the E91 fails in all three areas.

Edited by Webmaster on 17/06/2009 at 02:08