2002, 1.9TDi - Clutch pedal replacement - brillo
Could anyone advise me as to the difficulty in fitting a new clutch pedal on my vw golf gt tdi 1.9 mk 4, year 2002.
Part of it broke off(a plastic bit) while i was driving it and the breakdown service man put a temporary bolt through it to get me home. Now i am having difficulty in engaging gears especially reverse.
Could this be because the pedal is not depressing fully?
To fit a replacement pedal, do i have to remove any of the fascia panels, steering wheel or centre console and do i need any special tools to hold the clutch spring? while replacing the pedal?
I understand that the latest pedals have replaced the plastic bit with metal cos its a common fault.
Thanks

{car details added to header as per the yet again ignored sticky messages - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/10/2007 at 13:42

- Clutch pedal replacement - Trunks
Brillo
The same thing happened to my Golf last night- it is a 03 TDi 1.9, clutch pedal stayed right in, got towed home, breakdown guy advised 'bush'(?) at top of clutch pedal had shattered, showed me a bit of black plastic. I currently have OAP father and associate trying to sort it out, associate advised he thought it was a manufacturers fault- as you said- and wondered whether the model was the subject of a recall?

How did you get on with it? I am in no way qualified to attempt any repairs myself, but any advice you can pass on would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

- Clutch pedal replacement - Trunks
Brillo- further to previous, associate got the piece welded back onto pedal and reassembled it earlier, currently have the missus test driving it, he couldn't put small spring back in but apparently is not that important (?)