Road tax and CO2 for older cars? - stunorthants26
I was just reading an article near the back of Autocar this week by James Ruppert.

He was talking about a change to the VAT fuel scale charges - what is this? I ask because it starts off about road tax and then goes on about VAT and it didnt seem clear to me what he was on about but maybe I just missed the boat. What has VAT got to do with road tax?
He was suggesting these new rules would be a problem for pre-2001 cars.

Just foxed me a little!

Road tax and CO2 for older cars? - GregSwain
Very interesting! I've always felt quite smug having an older car and only paying £115/yr, when its emissions are probably a lot higher than an equivalent new car. But reading this.....

www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2006/bn39.pdf

....he's obviously barked up the wrong tree because it only affects cars used for business, and doesn't mention anywhere about CO2 levels - it goes by engine size. Unless, of course, last year's info is already out of date?
Road tax and CO2 for older cars? - stunorthants26
Well he was talking about the change from engine size to CO2 levels apparently found in called Supplement to VAT notes 1 2007. As I dont deal with VAT, its an unknown for me.
Road tax and CO2 for older cars? - GregSwain
Might apply to me in the near future (going into business and ending up VAT-registered), I'll have to look into that! Might be time to do what I've been thinking for a while - sell the good old Almera and buy a van, for which all expenses can be VAT-deducted. I wondered why my accountant was so adamant that I needed a van! ;-)