Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Harmattan

I couldn't quite believe this when I first saw it a few weeks ago on a UN agency purchasing list but it is still there in the newest edition. A Chinese-built Changfeng Yangzi FINE 2.2 petrol double-cab pick-up can be bought by UN-related personnel for just US$ 974 or roughly £482. There are catches, of course: it only comes in white, is Euro 2 compliant and will be left for you on the dockside in Shanghai. Nor will the factory, which is presumably dumping these things on the market, give you any kind of warranty. Add in £2000 for container delivery just about anywhere in the world and it is still under £2500 before taxes. The thing is that if the Chinese can get their vehicles up to US or European standards in the next few years and retain the low manufacturing costs they appear to have on this evidence then some of our major manufacturers could be in for a drubbing in the bread-and-butter market. Oh, and it is $500 extra for a 4x4 diesel.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Chris White
Changfeng Yangzi website here,

www.cfyzmotor.com/cfen/index.html
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - local yokel
"11. Three-point Seat Belts
The three-point seat belt is a safeguard for your driving and is capable of fixing the driver on the seat and providing maximum safety guarantee in case of emergencies.

12. Refueling Switch
Even more convenient is the built-in switch of the oil tank, which enables you to fill in oil without getting off the vehicle in time of a gale weather."
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Bill Payer
I don't know - I'm in the 'high-tech' business and there are all sorts of issues with Chinese manufacture. Some of the companies that moved stuff there are quietly moving it back again as they just can't get the quality right.
And look at the problems that Mattel are in right now.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - zm

Mattel have been manufacturing in China for many many years without any problems like this occurring before. This is the type of problem that could happen anywhere at any time (commercial history is littered with such examples). As a collector of 1/18 scale model cars, I can assure you that ALL brands of such product are made in China and the quality of these items is as good or poor as is the retail price will allow. Some of the items in my own collection have a retail value of up to £70, there are some now coming out which retail at £140. Forget Burago, this stuff is in another league, the detail and quality is astonishing. If these items were made in Europe the price would be 3-4 times higher!

The point I am making here is that Chinese manufacturing companies will make what you as a client require, if you are prepared to pay for it. If you want low quality they will do it, if you want high quality they can do it.

I have just had a look at the web-site for the £500 truck, it looks OK in the photo, I would'nt be surprised if it is basically all right as far as reliability and durability are concerned, just probably not much cop environmentally and in terms of safety.

Brand new vehicle for under £500 - flunky
I don't know - I'm in the 'high-tech' business and there are all sorts of
issues with Chinese manufacture. Some of the companies that moved stuff there are quietly moving
it back again as they just can't get the quality right.

Eh, nonsense. Hornby closed their English factory and now get much better quality as a result of having moved to China.

The Chinese now have the capital, so you now find China coming to Europe to buy the expertise it needs, rather than Europe buying cheap Chinese labour.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Chris White
In response to local yokel,

Just had a read through their website myself. Some of the phrases they use really are great :-)

.....the beauty of outer shape can be contrasted to that of JEEP......

....the integration of dashboard and the control console which produces a nice visual effect....

....the human-oriented configuration that makes you feel satisfied....

.....the large and broad bumper well manifests the beauty of manly spirits....

Fantastic!

Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Pugugly {P}

The broad rearview mirror substantially decreases the dead angle of sight. The rearview mirror can be folded, bringing more convenience. The chromeplated crust is in vogue and durab

Hahahaha.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - NowWheels
"The chromeplateed door pull undergoes antisepsis treatment and is highly durable. "

Damn. No care I have ever owned has had anything as advanced as an antiseptic door handle.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - NowWheels
"The chromeplateed door pull undergoes antisepsis treatment and is highly durable. "

Damn. No car I have ever owned has had anything as advanced as an antiseptic door handle.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - freakybacon
Having worked in china.. would any people taking the mickey out of the translations like to have a go at translating from mandarin/cantonese to english? mmm.. thought not. Racist, and offensive.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - midlifecrisis
Well don't read it then.

I think you need to get out more!!!!
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - jase1
Sometimes when you buy small electronic items direct from China on ebay (the officially imported stuff tends to be professionally translated), one of the joys is reading the instruction manual!!

But I agree, translation is no simple matter and we shouldn't mock....

It's quite incredible that a truck like that can be made for £500. Imagine how cheap their little superminis must be -- £200??

You'd probably be able to get 2 or 3 small units onto one container. It surely can't be long before the £2000, or even £1500 car is released in the UK. At that price there will be takers -- if they can get the safety reasonably up to scratch (not difficult really to achieve 3 stars; Proton manage it) a lot of people will be wanting one rather than a used banger.

And to think, Lada still fancy themselves as a Western car manufacturer again. No chance on the strength of what we're seeing from China.
I'm assuming they got this bit wrong though:

"By bringing in the world's advanced technologies and vehicle types, the corporation strives for an annual output of fifty to one hundred vehicles and makes itself the largest pickup truck manufacturer in China"

50-100 vehicles?
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - L'escargot
The Chinese engineering industry is determined to succeed and I admire them for it. My final employer authorised a Chinese company to make automotive products under licence and the quality was noticeably better than similar products made in Leeds.
--
L\'escargot.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Waino
By coincidence, yesterday evening I strayed onto a website about Chinese motorcycles and was amazed to see that they're being knocked out for about £700 or less. I'm old enough to remember mocking the early Japanese motorcyle imports - and look where that got us!

As we are about to enter a world economic recession, who's best geared up for climbing out the other side? I've got a broad circle of friends, but not one of them actually 'makes' anything. As a nation, I feel we are going to end up like Douglas Adams' 'useless third' (hairdressers, film directors etc). I find this rather worrying :-(
Calm down folks, you are not likely to get these chinese vehicle imported for a while yet. The chinese market is booming, and its home industry is struggling to supply its own markets. Possibly in a decade or so, when the home market is saturated. Bear in mind that Volkswagen and Honda have factories there, so the correct quality standards are achievable.
"Chinese motorcycles and was amazed to see that they're being knocked out for about £700 or less"

Friend of mine has just bought his daughter one of these - a CG125 lookalike. He's getting it soon and I'll report back. (By the way delivered to his house ready to ride - with insurance ! - the dealer in his town that sells the same thing wants £150.00 more...)
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Waino
... a CG125 lookalike. He's getting it soon and I'll report back. >>

Yes, PU, please do. I've just sold my Suzuki 500 but quite fancy a lightweight machine for nipping into town on.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Harmattan
There are literally hundreds of thousands of Chinese motorcycles in my little corner of West Africa. We have 60,000 motorcycle taxis (zems) alone and most are now Chinese. There are several CG125 lookalikes of which the Jincheng version always seems the most comfortable and nippiest to me when riding pillion on a taxi. Prices start here at £350 without import duty or registration which virtually no one pays for small bikes so no registration numbers and no insurance for most. Speedos never seem to be operational even on Chinese bikes only a few weeks old.
A poster has mentioned the Chinese VW factory. The same list from which I extracted the £500 pickup also lists the base FAW-VW Jetta 1.6 CiX petrol at $10,185 so just over £5,000 in your money delivered to Dalian port. A non-turbo 1.9 diesel Jetta is $14,900 and both these are Euro 3 compliant so not too ancient. They also get 20,000 km warranty for Africa which is about average and demonstrates some confidence in the product. These are probably a better guide to Chinese aspirations since I suspect the £500 pickup is a forced sale to get foreign currency or keep a weak factory running at any cost. FAW's basic double cab is about £3,400 FOB.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Sofa Spud
This sounds like a loss-leader. If this Chinese company can get it's vehicles widely accepted in UN, it's a great publicity platform.

It's a bit like how Bentley gave the queen a one-off limo, presumably to get one over it's rival (and former owner), Rolls-Royce.
In Dalian, a port I am familiar with, most of the taxis are the VW jetta. Proven reliability- just what you want when you rely on a machine for a living.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Vansboy
There was a programme on, about a month ago, showing the difficulties, 3 UK businessmen had, setting up factories/contacts in China

One of the guys was Vince DodgyBloke, from kitchen suppliers, here & did his tour of the place (motoring link) by a private bus they had stickered up as 'Olympic Consultation Officers' or similar, so as to avoid being hassled by the authorities.

He ended up being shown to actually have a heart, after all, when the locals showed their appreciation for their jobs & school, which his trade with them, had provided.

& he bought a granite pit, fro £75000. Thats a lot of cheap worktops!!

As for translation, another guy, building the worlds largest cusion factory, proudly sat below the sign for Mamaging Director !

Made me think about the Mitsibishi Starrion - 'cos they couldn't pronounce Stallion, apparently!!

& nope, my Madarin, or any of the other countless local dialects, isn't too clever, so think they're more bright than some of us, to get their words, as accurate as they do.

VB
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - daveyjp
Vince also bouth thousands of acres of forest - cheap material for carcasses. He's also in trouble for alledgedly importing non CE marked quad bikes from China and selling them on.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - RichieW
Try typing "landwind youtube" into google and check the top link. Then think about driving one of the £500 chinese vehicles in Britain.

I wouldnt tar all Chinese vehicles with the same brush but I suspect VOSA wouldn't be letting them on British roads. Death traps, probably....
Try typing "landwind youtube" into google and check the top link. Then think about driving
one of the £500 chinese vehicles in Britain.

As I have said before, that result is no worse than the old Vauxhall Frontera on which that 4x4 is based.
Made me think about the [b]Mitsibishi[/b] Starrion - 'cos they couldn't pronounce Stallion apparently!!

Hah! Just like you seemingly can't pronounce "three diamonds" in Japanese, apparently!! :P
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Martin Devon
As a nation I feel we are going to end
up like Douglas Adams' 'useless third' (hairdressers film directors etc). I find this rather worrying

I wouldn't worry Sir. We are far beyond the worrying stage. UK finished, lost it...gone as a force to be reckoned with...finito!

Worrying is like riding a Rocking Horse.......It'll give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere.

VBR...MD.
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Martin Devon
The broad rearview mirror substantially decreases the dead angle of sight. The rearview mirror can
be folded bringing more convenience. The chromeplated crust is in vogue and durab
Hahahaha.

You may laugh PU but methinks it is much better English than some of our youngsters!!

Have a nice day.....MD
scarily you're probably right,,,,,
Brand new vehicle for under £500 - Hamsafar
Should be on www.engrish.com/
I remember my parking sensor instructions were a howl with phrases like make sure engine is in flame out situation before tackling the bumper bar.