Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - Galad
SWMBO has just splashed out on a brand new Corsa Design with all the bells and whistles. One whistle that I just can't quite come to terms with however, is the 'ding' that accompanies applying the handbrake. It's driving SWMBO mad and the handbook just doesn't seem to cover it. It appears to go off when the car is on even a slight gradient which makes me think it's a warning to apply the handbrake fully to avoid rolling back/forward. I just can't turn it off and daughter's driving instructor wants it shut down for her taking her driving test next week. Anyone shed any light before I try the dealer?

Slight tweak to subject line - left in Discussion for now, may move it over to Tech later - PU
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - daveyjp
The bleeping sounds like a warning too far.

One word of advice. Call the test centre and see if the examiners will undertake a test in a new Corsa. The examiner can't see the speedo and some refuse to take tests in them.
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - Hamsafar
I would imagine it can be configured with a TECH2 by the dealer, unless of course TECH3 came out while I was away.
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - rtj70
I thought you could not take a test in the new Corsa unless it had additional speedometer for driving instructor/examiner. The cowling means it cannot be seen from the passenger seat. Maybe it's just BSM not using them at the moment for teaching?

However, due to this:

www.dsa.gov.uk/recall.asp?id=SX6B36-A782AC28&cat=5...0

it seems you couldn't take tests in some due to a fault which had to be fixed/checked by recall by Vauxhall so you might be okay.

Still check now before the test.
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - BazzaBear {P}
What I don't understand is that your daughter has a driving instructor, but uses her own car? I've never heard of a set-up like that before.
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - Dynamic Dave
What I don't understand is that your daughter has a driving instructor but uses her
own car? I've never heard of a set-up like that before.

Maybe she just wants to use her own car for the test and not the driving instructors?
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - Bill Payer
My kids instructor said they should choose either his car or ours and only drive one on them in the few wks before the test.
In his experience learners can't easily adapt from car to car - especially girls, they do things like memorise the position (rather than feel) the biting point of the clutch.
Having just spoken to a colleague who has a new shape Corsa. The handbrake warning should only bleep if the vehicle isn't stationary. Unless I've misread your message, it shouldn't bleep every time you apply the handbrake. If it does, then either something is wrong, or the handbrake is being applied while the car is still moving.
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - Tim Allcott
Sounds similar to Smart Fofour: it will bleep if applied when there is ANY motion. I suggest you bring vehicle to a complete stop with the footbrake and then apply handbrake and see what happens; it certainly caught me out initially, and I had to change my driving style.
--
Tim{P}
Thanks for the advice guys. Yes, the 'ding' is heard if the car isn't at a complete stop when the hand rake is applied. Still can't work out what possible use this is other than to avoid unintentional handbrake turns.......

My daughter is taking the test in the Corsa and the instructor is taking her on the test route in it for practice. There seems to be no issue with the line of sight of the speedo however at least as far as Test Centres in N Ireland are concerned. I've checked it out.
Yes the 'ding' is heard if the car isn't at a complete stop when the hand rake is applied.

Well if she applies the handbrake before the vehicle is stopped on her test then that would surely be a fault (although I appreciate that the ding might make it more obvious).
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - boxsterboy
Sounds similar to Smart Fofour: it will bleep if applied when there is ANY motion.
I suggest you bring vehicle to a complete stop with the footbrake and then apply
handbrake and see what happens; it certainly caught me out initially and I had to
change my driving style.

But how can you do a handbrake turn without applying the handbrake whilst moving?? ;-)
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - piggy
Having just spoken to a colleague who has a new shape Corsa. The handbrake warning
should only bleep if the vehicle isn't stationary.

Same thing happens with Fiat Grande Punto,basically the same car. I have consulted the hand-book and can find no mention of a way to turn it off. I can`t see why one should want to anyway,it`s there to tell you the car is moving and the handbrake is still on.
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - Pugugly {P}
BMWs have had this as a feature for years, I can't remember when (let alone which one of mone it was) when I managed activate it. Suggest your wife allows the car to stop before applying handbrake even on an incline, this can be done !
Suggest your wife allows the car to stop before applying handbrake even on an incline, this can be done !

Would you be kind enough to tell her please, and may I be in the room when you do? :-))
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - Pugugly {P}
yeah I know the feeling :-(
BMWs have had this as a feature for years

Merc's do too, and with the foot operated parking brake (which you use very infrequently in everyday driving, as most MB are auto) what happens now and again is that you use the parking brake but then don't fully release it. Cue much dinging.
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - boxsterboy
Which reminds me the one on SWMBOs CLK needs adjusting. It bongs all the time, and the only way to stop it is to drive with your foot lifting up on the underneath of the footbrake pedal!
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - jokacola
The bleeping is actually the warning that the handbrake has not been fully released and is intended to warn you of such when you move off. The other correspondents are correct to say that you need to come to a complete stop before applying it.
Re the speedo... many instructor corsas are now supplied with speedo pods and these should be removed for tests as per DSA article at www.dsa.gov.uk/News.asp?id=SXFF5A-A782C4B1
hope this helps
;o)
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - Mike1942
In my opinion there is a minor specification error.

I find that I tend to put the handbrake on less than one second before the car comes to a halt in traffic and the annoying bleep/ping goes off once (none of that riding the footbrake and having my brake lights annoy drivers behind while I'm waiting to start moving forward again).

Surely the specification should be to bleep/ping if the car is driven off with the handbrake on and not as it is just about to come to a halt.

Edited by Mike1942 on 27/10/2007 at 13:00

Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - David Horn
If you don't mind me asking, why not wait until you've come to a complete stop?
Surely the specification should be to bleep/ping if the car is driven off with the
handbrake on and not as it is just about to come to a halt.

The sensor works on the principle that the wheels are still turning. Unfortunately the sensor doesn't have the intelligence to detect whether you're about to stop or move off.

Can't understand why Vauxhall didn't use the same system as in my Vectra though. The handbrake warning dingy thingy only makes a noise if the car is going more than 10 (or is it 15?) mph with the handbrake still on.
Unwanted Bleeping Hand Brake on a new Corsa - 1066
in my Nissan note you have to be going at 15mph for the handbrake bong to sound