Y reg Auto Faulty EGR valve replacement. - plonker
In the main I am happy with my Y Reg Astra Auto but I'm miffed that it let me down at the start of a holiday run recently which meant that it had to get a piggyback to my local garage, who diagnosed a faulty EGR valve. This valve was replaced when I bought the car last July and I am very disappointed at the need to replace it again so soon. Can someone advise if annual replacement is par for the course?
Furthermore, I was surprised that I couldn't start the engine again after waiting by the roadside for a while. Is this normal?

Tweaked to show age in subject line - PU
EGR valve - Screwloose

GM make quite a lot of differently-engined Astras; so if you want a serious answer, then proper car details are needed.

An EGR fault can't cause a non-start. What actually happened.
EGR valve - plonker
Hi Screwloose.
Apologies for not getting back to you immediately - family and grandchildren problems.
Yes, I would like a serious answer!
The car is a 1.6 Club automatic, first registered May, 2001, engine type Z16SE.
The EGR valve was replaced when I bought the car last July. Recently, having covered about 3 miles at the start of a holiday journey, the engine simply died as I negotiated a road junction. I checked under the bonnet to check if there was anything obviously wrong and after a couple of minutes managed to restart and get going. The engine seemed to be surging over the next mile or so and I decided that it was not "well" enough to embark on the planned journey. As I negotiated a roundabout to head back home the engine died again. This time, it simply would not fire up - even after waiting an hour for the pickup truck.
My local garage could find no other fault than the EGR valve, which they replaced at a cost of £133.37 incl labour.
If this enables you to make some comment on the problem, I will be indebted to you.
EGR valve - Screwloose

What made the garage change the EGR again? Frankly; that would be the last thing that I'd think of for a cut-out-non-start. Open or shut it can't affect starting - there's no exhaust gas to recirculate.

When did they get it to start? Before replacing the valve or afterwards? I'm wondering if the previous EGR fault codes were still in the ECU's memory and they were misled when it started from cold.

For a cut out fault, coming to rest, shortly after setting off; I'd first think of over-fuelling for some reason, maybe a coolant temp sensor or MAF - then a possible heat-affected fault with the crank sensor. [None of those would leave a code.]
EGR valve - plonker
Ah, you've really got me worried now!
I must admit that I was surprised that the engine wouldn't start up after sitting for a time and, to be fair to the garage bloke, he was obviously not totally convinced about the EGR valve but the diagnostics showed no other fault. I should perhaps point out that the garage where I bought the car last year was not my local one. I don't know when exactly they got the engine to start.
I see what you're saying about over fuelling. Years ago (when I was a lot younger, carried tools with me and did my own servicing) I would probably have at least taken out a plug by the roadside and, if you're right, would have found wet plugs. Nowadays I'm too old and cars have become SO complicated!
However, from what you say the same thing might happen again out of the blue. If none of the faults you mention leave a trace, what would you suggest I do - other than spend a bomb at the local Vauxhall dealer (which I have a low opinion of).
I don't know what MAF refers to?
Thanks for getting back to me.
EGR valve - Dynamic Dave
I don't know what MAF refers to?

Mass Air Flow sensor.
EGR valve - plonker
Thanks Dave.
EGR valve - plonker
Hello again to Screwloose.
Given that the several faults which you think are more likely than the EGR valve do not leave a trace code, can you suggest what ought to be done to find the underlying problem - apart from just keeping my fingers crossed! I've really lost confidence in the car now and I would hate to be let down again.
EGR valve - GregSwain
Far more likely to be a camshaft/crankshaft sensor on an Ecotec (had it a couple of times where it didn't bring the orange light on). Intermittent fuel pump relay failure isn't unheard of either. A lot of places do guesswork diagnostics - usual parts they start with are EGR, lambda or MAF. Find a diagnostic centre that has the slightest idea of what they're doing, and don't pay for any more bits until they're 110% sure that they've found the failed component.
EGR valve - Screwloose

Without knowing the fault-codes and live data that the garage found; it's impossible to say with any degree of certainty whether the fault was a one-off glitch or whether it will recur.

If it does recur; try and get as much info as possible.
EGR valve - plonker
OK to Screwloose and GregZwain.
Many thanks for that. It does rather seem to be a case of keeping my fingers crossed!
Oh for the days of SU carbs and distributors!
EGR valve - GregSwain
Oh for the days of SU carbs and distributors!

You'd only be back on here with a blocked jet or a misfire that you couldn't cure!