W12 Phaeton - flunky
Prices on these have recovered quite a bit in the last 18 months, basically the price has remained static, so if you bought a £28k V10 diesel in early 2006, you could sell it for the same price now.

I rather fancy a W12 6.0 (not LWB) with the massaging seats, etc. These are currently about £28k for an 04 plate (which is still £10k less than the Audi A8 6.0).

I'd like to pay half of that. Any ideas how long I'll be waiting?

And surely a handcrafted (nice factory: forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641) Phaeton with high-quality interior trim will look/run better at 6 years than say a 3-series (same price?) at 3 years.

Bad idea?
W12 Phaeton - 659FBE
Very bad idea. The chances of a car of this complexity working properly when built by VAG with their limited understanding of how to make automotive electronics reliable, are almost zero. The old model Passat is about as complex as it's safe to go.

If you must have toys of this magnitude, buy a Jap.

W12 Phaeton - stunorthants26
I would imagine that given they intended this car to mix it with the big boys, they will have put alot of effort into the engineering.
I wouldnt be too afraid of it.
W12 Phaeton - Stuartli
There was talk that the production at Dresden was so good that Bentley manufacture might be switched there.

Judging by a pal's 18 months' experience with a new Bentley that might be a good thing - he got shut because he got so fed up with constant faults and irritating design points.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
W12 Phaeton - rtj70
There were plans to do finaly assembly of some Bentley GT's in Dresden because:

1. Capacity due to poor uptake of the Phaeton
2. Bodies for Bentley come from Dresden complete...
3. Lorries carrying Bentley Conti GTs return empty

So logic was take parts back to Dresden like engines and tranmissions (The Bentley W12 is band built in Crewe from parts), seats, etc.
W12 Phaeton - Hamsafar
I agree flunky, I have my eye on an acquaintance's Phaeton. The fact the prices have remained static may be a good thing for a used car buyer as they may drop much quicker at a later point.
W12 Phaeton - flunky
There was talk that the production at Dresden was so good that Bentley manufacture might
be switched there.

Perhaps it is unjustified personal prejudice, but I've always been more impressed by blue collar workers in European countries than their British counterparts.

Not to mention that this

forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641
looks a better process than this:

www.caranddriver.com/features/7161/bentley-motor-c...l
W12 Phaeton - ukbeefy
That VW factory looks unreal. How many euros did that cost to build/run...was it paid for with grants from the German State/EU to build it in the former east germany?
W12 Phaeton - flunky
That VW factory looks unreal. How many euros did that cost to build/run...was it paid
for with grants from the German State/EU to build it in the former east germany?

The fancy viewing area and so on are impressive.

I like this statement:

"It is interesting to note that Canadian Maple was chosen for the solid wood floors of the Glass Factory in part for technical reasons: It is one of very few woods that meet the very strict fire regulations governing use of wood in manufacturing facilities. It's also worth noting that the floors are solid maple, not maple veneer."
W12 Phaeton - flunky
www.qualitymag.com/CDA/Articles/Column/BNP_GUID_9-...3

Do you really get better build quality than this with a Bentley or similar?
W12 Phaeton - OldHand
Whenever I see people building high end luxury or sports cars I can't help thinking how tragic it is that they'll probably never own one or even get to drive one.

On the subject of the Phaeton at 16 grand!! (cheapest on autotrader) for a V6 I can't help thinking what tremendous value they look. 25 grand for the cheapest V10 Diesel and similar for a newer 3.0V6 diesel from a franchised dealer also seem like good prices. If I was looking for a fat-man cruiser I'd take one over an A8.